Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forest fires

Default Re: Forest fires

We are in Victoria BC. We thought a nice boat trip North would lead to clean air.

Nope.

I feel like I have COPD.

You can stare at the sun without damage, it's just a pale orange ball.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

When we were in Vancouver recently.......the haze from forest fires in BC was so bad that we couldn't see the mountains behind the city.
    One of the few disappointments of our trip.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5553/
    The lower right edge of this fire is now the road I rode in on for the Adventure Ride:Trees ride.

Nelder Grove is where the trees are.

Almost everything I recently photographed and posted on that thread has burned, or is in danger of burning now, including the actual dirt road I was on.

The big pile of rocks with the trees growing in them? I can't wait to see what made it...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Glacier's backcountry Sperry Chalet burns down:

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and...b96168641.html

Not to be confused with the backcountry Granite Park Chalet.

Lake Macdonald lodge is now closed for the season due to smoke.
    That's a shame. I hate seeing those great old buildings go. Hopefully it can be rebuilt (the same as it was).

Here in VT we lost the hut on top of Mt. Mansfield (Stowe Ski Area) to idjut teenages. Luckily, dad (Jake Burton - as in Burton Snowboards) has plenty of money - though he had to be shamed into paying for the rebuild.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Americans eh? Oregon..

Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

I saw that pic yesterday. Young, healthy guys might do better to help fight fires (or at least provide logistical support) rather than playing golf, eh?

Golfing while Oregon burns...

We've had smoke haze but not the high temps, thank heavens.

When the moon rose the other night, it had a yellow-orange hue. There's a grow light in the greenhouse for starting basil.

At this elevation, the moon is usually a brilliant bluish white. Here's a zoom. The double image is my unsteady hand.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

We just returned home from a seven day float trip on the Main Salmon River in Idaho. Unfortunately there was no reprieve from the smoke we've had all summer at home. Many fires burning in that country as well.

The River of No Return ...

Several of this seasons fires have burned down to the river's edge. They are the 'good' kind of fires for this environment, burning the ground fuels, some of understory, and brush, leaving the larger trees (predominantly Ponderosa Pine) alive. In the next two photos fire has burnt to the high-water line on the right bank. This is Wilderness, and other than monitoring and maybe some burnout operations, there is no fire suppression on this fire. This will be excellent critter habitat next year. Looking forward to a return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    The smokey haze does make for nice photos [...]
    Yeah, the Ms, who is a more serious photographer than I, delighted (cough, cough) in the filtered light. She should have some good photos from the trip. Might start a thread when she's done processing them.

Last edited by J P; 09-13-2017 at 02:33 PM.

I still enjoy kayaking and considered bringing a hardshell, but ended up being oar-boy on our raft the entire trip. And I'm fine with that, it's all good. Herself brought an inflatable kayak and had a few good days paddling. Idaho is indeed blessed with some great rivers. And hot-springs.

We are getting some rain now in Montana and might see snow down to 6000ft.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Americans eh? Oregon..

This certainly IS a dramatic foto.

But it is also a bit misleading, methinks. If I have the story right - this is the Washington side, looking across to Oregon aflame on the other side. Not visible in the foto is an intervening river channel. The Columbia is maybe 1/2 mile wide at that point. Maybe a bit more. They certainly were in no danger, as the wind at that point was blowing left to right, not at them.

And they may be healthy young specimens, capable of fire-fighting... but they're likely not trained. Without training you're a danger to yourself and others. Better they play golf. Nothing that fire crews hate worse is 'civilians' mucking up the works.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    This certainly IS a dramatic foto.

But it is also a bit misleading, methinks. If I have the story right - this is the Washington side, looking across to Oregon aflame on the other side. Not visible in the foto is an intervening river channel. The Columbia is maybe 1/2 mile wide at that point. Maybe a bit more. They certainly were in no danger, as the wind at that point was blowing left to right, not at them.

And they may be healthy young specimens, capable of fire-fighting... but they're likely not trained. Without training you're a danger to yourself and others. Better they play golf. Nothing that fire crews hate worse is 'civilians' mucking up the works.
    I wasn't suggesting they go fight the fires - but help out the firefighters in a logistical way. Anything other than golfing while OR/WA burns.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I wasn't suggesting they go fight the fires - but help out the firefighters in a logistical way. Anything other than golfing while OR/WA burns.
    Again... untrained help.

BUT - they certainly could be donating blood (maybe they already did?), volunteering at the local ad hoc shelters and food banks, raising money to help those displaced by the fire, etc. But I don't have much room to talk. Other than donating blood, I haven't done anything specifically to help.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)