Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forest fires

Default Forest fires

Windy and unstable weather was forecast for most of southern and central British Columbia, conditions that officials say have the potential to kick up wildfires.

Special weather and air quality statements were issued for much of the B.C. Interior on Thursday, warning of windy and unsettled weather and poor air quality due to smoke.

British Columbia's wildfires have destroyed a record amount of forest, brush and grassland, surpassing the devastation of nearly 60 years ago. Kevin Skrepnek with the BC Wildfire Service said about 8,944 square kilometres (5558 sq. mi.) have been scorched by fires, breaking the previous record of 8,550 square kilometres (5313 sq. mi.), set in 1958.

(Photo of fire at Bitterroot Nat'l Forest in Montana by John McColgan, August 06, 2000)
    Last edited by mmd; 08-18-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Forest fires

Went fishing this weekend with a buddy. We went to a reservoir in a state forest and drove past an old fire tower like the one below.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I'm not sure if I could resist the urge to climb up and have a look around.

"Look! Look! Old man gettin' high!"

It's pretty bad here too in western Montana. Been smokey for weeks. Not looking good right now on the Lolo Peak fire at the NW end of the Bitterroot valley. Westerly winds today thru tomorrow is blowing the fire towards homes. Two homes and other structures lost last night. Currently over 1000 homes evacuated, at least two of which are friends of ours, and more on standby alert. We are on a list to help with equines and other critters, moving or taking in a few, but haven't been called yet.

BTW the now famous photo of the elk in the river in the OP was taken in 2000 on the East Fork of the Bitterroot River that drains into the south end of the BR valley. Big fire year that one.
    Last edited by J P; 08-18-2017 at 10:55 PM.

It is a wonderful photo of a terrible calamity. I was just cruising Google Images with the words "forest fire" and that one caught my eye. I didn't look into its origins, it was just a nice picture. Then I read an update on the fires in BC, near to where my daughter is, and posted it. Sorry if I inadvertently conflated the image and the story. I guess I was posting faster than I was thinking.

Oh no Michael, I didn't intend my comment on the photo as a correction at all. It is a wonderful photo and perfectly appropriate for the thread title. Just thought some readers might be interested in knowing something about it.

I was/am. Thanks.

No prob. A bit more about the photo according to http://gpsinformation.net/fire.htm:

"This awsome picture was taken in the Bitterroot National
    Forest in Montana on August 6, 2000 by a fire behavior analyst from
    Fairbanks, Alaska by the name of John McColgan with a Digital camera.
    Since he was working while he took the picture, he cannot sell or profit
    from it so he should at least be recognized as the photographer of this
    once in a lifetime shot."

That is good info, esp. re: accreditation. I'll go edit the OP now. Thanks for the research JP.

I found it interesting that the deer (or are they elk?) are standing in the river hoping to escape the flames.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I'll go edit the OP now.
    Good on'ya sir, and good luck to your daughter if she and hers are, or become, threatened by the conflagrations in BC.

CW: elk

Daughter flew into Ottawa today to start a new 90-day term job on Monday. The Boyfriend is staying in Vancouver, but has clients in the BC interior, which puts him harm's way. Thanks for your concern & good wishes.

Elk, aka wapiti or Cervus canadensis, are deer, being a member of the Cervidae or deer family.

And Mike, let's hope everyone in the interior is safe.

What are you doing about it?

Hope you catch a trophy, Tom. G'luck.

Nice photos twodot. Enjoy your fishing time. Don't be too hard on'em.

Remarkably, and thanks to the good firefighting work, I believe there are still only the two homes lost to the Lolo Peak fire so far. I feel for the folks in that area. It got hammered by the Lolo Creek fire in 2014 with a bunch of homes lost.

Yesterday evening while returning home from a trip south to the Salmon River for eclipse viewing, I snapped a quick shot crossing the bridge where Mr. McColgan took his famous photo.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post

(Photo of fire at Bitterroot Nat'l Forest in Montana by John McColgan, August 06, 2000)

What it looked like yesterday (going 60mph) seventeen years later. Note surviving tree on the right bank.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I found it interesting that the deer (or are they elk?) are standing in the river hoping to escape the flames.
    Escape? No. Forest fires are a firestorm. Having one pass over a shallow creek like that could easily turn the whole thing to steam, leaving a rock bed. No refuge there, except perhaps for the smallest of increments. There are stories of people surviving by diving into deep river/creek holes, breathing thru reeds until the air was too hot, then hugging the bottom until their lungs demanded otherwise. No one I know personally, though... so perhaps apocryphal.

Oregon is burning on the East side of the Cascades right now, as it does every summer. One fire rearranged a bunch of plans for eclipse viewing.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I was watching AvE's mancation video (my favourite sweary Candistanian You-Tuber) - got to within a couple of Ks from a wild fire. The heat and smoke looked horrific.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Escape? No. Forest fires are a firestorm. Having one pass over a shallow creek like that could easily turn the whole thing to steam, leaving a rock bed. No refuge there, except perhaps for the smallest of increments. There are stories of people surviving by diving into deep river/creek holes, breathing thru reeds until the air was too hot, then hugging the bottom until their lungs demanded otherwise. No one I know personally, though... so perhaps apocryphal.

Oregon is burning on the East side of the Cascades right now, as it does every summer. One fire rearranged a bunch of plans for eclipse viewing.
    I think there is good possibility that those particular elk may have survived. Not all of the riparian area here got burned out. Much did.
    And "shallow creek"? Pard, out here in the arid West that there is a River.

Historical note: Lewis and Clark descended this East Fork of the Bitterroot River on their way to Lolo (Traveler's Rest) where they turned west to cross the Bitterroot mountains. Good chance they crossed the EF about where the photo shows. Clark came back up this way on his return route after splitting with Lewis at Traveler's Rest in Lolo.

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    I think there is good possibility that those particular elk may have survived. Not all of the riparian area here got burned out. Much did.
    And "shallow creek"? Pard, out here in the arid West that there is a River.

Historical note: Lewis and Clark descended this East Fork of the Bitterroot River on their way to Lolo (Traveler's Rest) where they turned west to cross the Bitterroot mountains. Good chance they crossed the EF about where the photo shows. Clark came back up this way on his return route after splitting with Lewis at Traveler's Rest in Lolo.
    You may well be right. I don't see the characteristic 'wall of flame' coming at them. Impossible to be sure, but the wind in that image might be going left to right.

Yeah... river... right <G> When we first started making friends in Texas, and started exploring outside of the city... we'd head off for 'somethin' river. Typically it was some tiny trickle one could step across. I kept asking, "Where's the dang river? Where do we swim?". My view is jaundiced from living in the NW... and worse, at the mouth of the Columbia.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Yosemite is on fire.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Yosemite is on fire.

Peace,
    Robert
    Fire.... Always been a formative component in that environment. Is the current fire(s) a recent start?
    Last edited by J P; 08-23-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    Always been a formative component of that environment. Is the fire(s) a recent start?
    Yeah, near Wawona. Somewhere around 15-20% contained.

Peace,
    Robert

Nice photos, Tom. Thanks.

When do you head back to Japan?

Well, I hope that the trout keep rising to your flies 'till then, and stay in touch while you are in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Last day of September. At that time this crazy permanent vacation lifestyle will stop, well, at least for 1.5 years.
    nice photos.

Sounds like you have chosen wisely. I am interested in how you wind back up for your return. I hope you share your personal observations with us on this.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Last day of September. At that time this crazy permanent vacation lifestyle will stop, well, at least for 1.5 years.
    Please excuse the intrusion, but where in Japan? My friend lives in Tokyo, where he teaches. He's Japanese, though, so it isn't as novel for him.

Curious, is all.

Kyoto is probably the one city I would pick if I could only pick one. There are a few old wooden buildings there I'd like to see.

Peace,
    Robert

Oh, Kyoto! You need at least three days. Wonderful city to wander about. I can suggest places to visit...
    Well, Japan is on the list when I finally lose my mind and sail away.

Mount Hiei is also on my list of want to see. I'd love to go there, just to be there.

Peace,
    Robert

Rhymes with Mount Siyeh?

(Not my photo. Glacier Nat'l Park. I hiked to the top, in summer of 1977)
    No way I will begin to insult the Japanese language by attempting to say it, but it is home to some of the world's most magnificent runners, and the only people who were allowed to wear shoes in the presence of the Emperor. Only 40 some in the last 100 odd years have made it. The "Marathon Monks". They are unique and revered people.
    Proximate to Kyoto, fittingly enough.

Peace,
    Robert

Another artsy-fartsy photo of Glacier:

Lovely.

Peace,
    Robert

The USFS C130 on its way back to refoam or refuel, or both, just pulled the hardest left hand turn right over my yard. I mean, the wings were practically vertical and I could see the butt end "skid" around the corner.

It was like one of the fighter jets, but in a very much NOT fighter jet.

Blew my mind. I didn't see the number, but the Air Force number 8 was up earlier. Their C130s are a stealthy grey with bright red markings.

The Forest Service planes look a bit like Coast Guard livery. At a glance, at a distance.

Peace,
    Robert

Glacier's backcountry Sperry Chalet burns down:

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and...b96168641.html

Not to be confused with the backcountry Granite Park Chalet.

Lake Macdonald lodge is now closed for the season due to smoke.
    Sperry Chalet, 1913 - 2017.

The wind really kicked up down here (Bitterroot) yesterday too. Still smokey as hell.

I woke up this morning to a red glow outside. The sun was coming up through smoke from fires all around California. High pressure is holding it down, and also blocking the usual marine layer from cooling the Bay Area. The forecast is 112 F for the next 2 days, it's like Hades out there. Starting to wonder why I still live here....

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    I woke up this morning to a red glow outside. The sun was coming up through smoke from fires all around California. High pressure is holding it down, and also blocking the usual marine layer from cooling the Bay Area. The forecast is 112 F for the next 2 days, it's like Hades out there. Starting to wonder why I still live here....

Ran into fire operations this morning on the road, while I was exploring. The new fire is less than 60 miles from here.
    Cough cough.

Peace,
    Robert

Just on this mornings news.

30,000 animals killed or displaced by this years wildfires.

Last week news, the Fort McMurry fire of last year has just been declared to be out.

Could be worse.
    Pennsylvania has had an underground coal fire going since '62.
    Australia has had a fire going for the last 6,000 years, give ot take.
    basil

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5588/
    This fire is just outside North Fork, a town at the beginning of the Adventure Ride:Trees Loop.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5553/
    This fire is at the end of the loop. The big trees in the middle seem safe, so far...

Peace,
    Robert