• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RainierHooker
    • Aug 2017

Re: m/v Duffy - or - A Family's Misadventures on a 1950 Monk Cruisebr />
    Band-Aid installed...

12 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    ...I'm sure that I'm one of the few people that my marina has ever witnessed doing a lead and tar patch on an boat, and I got a few glances from my neighbors as a result. Its not the prettiest patch, but it should suffice for the 30 mile trip to the yard next weekend. The worst part of the day was the fact that the weather was perfect for a spin around the bay, but prudence prevailed.
    I like old stuff...

Comment

• cstevens
      Dreaming of a boat
      • Nov 2014

^^^ That looks pretty good to me Evan! I'd be happy with that for a trip to your yard of choice. Nice work. And I love the shot of your daughter at the helm. I have some photos like that of Dash at that age on a couple of different boats. Got to start them young...
      - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Comment

• RainierHooker
        • Aug 2017

Oakie Dokie...

The day before yesterday was the start of a (hopefully) week-long process to get Duffy back to ship shape. We motored from Tacoma up to Shilshole on an uneventful and quick transit.

IMG_3277 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
        IMG_3280 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
        IMG_3284 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr
        I like old stuff...

Comment

• RainierHooker
          • Aug 2017

Safe in Shilshole, and her nose band-aid still there with no changes, we tied her up and planned for the early morning trip through the locks and to Canal Boatyard...

IMG_3288 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
          IMG_3290 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr
          I like old stuff...

Comment

• RainierHooker
            • Aug 2017

After an early morning commute, that took just about as long as the day before's boat ride, we got Duffy off the dock in Shilshole and headed up the canal to the Ballard Locks. They had just reopened the small locks a few days before and we were seemingly the only boat awake, so we locked-in in record time.

IMG_3291 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
            We cozied up to the seawall at the boatyard and waited for our haul, which happened an hour early.

IMG_3296 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
            IMG_3317 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr
            I like old stuff...

Comment

• RainierHooker
              • Aug 2017

They put us in a stall right next to Duffy's slightly older, and slightly bigger sister "Carol M" which is getting some planks replaced by Mark Lerdahl.

IMG_3321 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
              Mark has one more day of work on "Carol M" so we devoted the day to cleanup and triage.

IMG_3323 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
              IMG_3324 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
              By the time the sun was starting to set we had pulled off the band-aid, scraped the bottom, found a few bad seams and fasteners, and devised a semi-coherant plan for the next few days.

Stay tuned for some proper meat-n-potatoes boat repair in the coming days...
              I like old stuff...

Comment

• RainierHooker
                • Aug 2017

Yard Day Two...

Lots of progress, and got most of the yuk work done. Top and bottom are sanded, the latter to fair and the former to fair-ish. Suspect fasteners identified and mostly uncovered. Suspect seams reefed...

IMG_3331 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
                IMG_3332 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr
                I like old stuff...

Comment

• RainierHooker
                  • Aug 2017

IMG_3335 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
                  IMG_3342 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
                  IMG_3343 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
                  ...we've got our work cut and laid out for us today. Caulking, refastening, thru-hulls, and a few leaky bits around the rudder post and transom.
                  I like old stuff...

Comment

• chas
                    • Dec 2009

"...we've got our work cut and laid out for us today. Caulking, refastening, thru-hulls, and a few leaky bits around the rudder post and transom."

From the owner of another vintage Monk of the paint-grade persuasion, know that when time runs short there is always roof cement for those underwater seams. Tks for this thread, it's a pleasure to watch! / Jim

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                      Landlocked
                      • Dec 2005

I guess I'm here really late in the development of this thread but be that as it may, I knew Duffy when her original owner (Dr. Eugene Kidd) had her and kept her at Seattle Yacht Club. I hope I'm not going back over plowed ground but here's a little that I know about her.

She was built by Dick Adams (you probably know that) who built a number of similar Monks of the same general type. I looked at her seriously (maybe 1987 or so...a bit vague as it was a LONG time ago) when Dr. Kidd (who commissioned her) put her up for sale the first time. In fact, we took her to survey. Her interior charmed us. It's quality and originality are probably due the fact that the doc re-canvassed her decks properly just before he offered her for sale. Of course that she was in covered moorage (SYC) all her life to that point helped greatly. Apart from her charm though, she needed a bit of work and some new systems but Dr. Kidd was extremely inflexible so we passed. A few years later, I saw her on the dock at Hannan Yacht Sales which was over by Seattle Marina. At that time, there were a few brokers who specialized in wooden boats so you could dock crawl and see a good portion of what was available for sale at that moment. Sadly they're long gone now. In any case, I noticed that some of the problems we'd discovered had been corrected (notably frames and planking at the stern) although she still had her original Chrysler V8 which was understandably a bit tired after 35 years.

As I think you'd mentioned, the doctor had died so the boat finally went up for sale by Mrs. Kidd for the second time and I suspect she was considerably more eager to sell than the doctor. The rest of the story is yours to tell of course but I just want to add (if it's not already clear) that I spent some pleasant time learning about Monk's designs and the boats that actually got built locally. If you haven't already, see if you can find a copy of Bet Oliver's book, Ed Monk and the Tradition of Classic Boats. You'll find a nice picture of Duffy on pg. 75 along with a bit of her story. She covers and illustrates a lot of the boats and types Monk penned including one we owned for 20 years. It's pretty much the Monk Bible.

Here's wishing you a happy journey with her, and with hopes she doesn't provide too many more surprises although I have to say what follows. Most of the west coast Monk builds (somewhat builder/owner dependent) were not really intended to be around 75 years later. It's a testament to them that such relatively affordable and practical boats do last that long and longer. Still, whatever hasn't been replaced or updated routinely will probably need to be done on any boat intended for family use in the Northwest's waters. Wooden cruising boats are never standing still, they're always in motion going either forwards or backwards as respects condition. It's hard to hold them in one place and still use them as intended. Our 25 year journey in two different Monk designed boats was some of the best fun ever, but it was not easy.

By the way, I did end up (coincidence) with an Adams built Monk as my first wooden cruiser project and enjoyed it while we had it and in some ways wish I still did have her. She's be perfect on the Cumberland!
                      Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-14-2018, 10:37 PM.
                      One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• RainierHooker
                        • Aug 2017

Lew,

Thanks for the response, it was far from redundant, and helps us confirm a few suspicions that we have had regarding the last few years of its ownership by Dr Kidd. We have the Bet Oliver book.

We have often said that if you told the original builders that these boats were still floating, much less being used, three quarters of a century later, they wouldn't believe you. No, Duffy isn't perfect, and the last three days of poking her underbelly and innards have turned up plenty of issues and previous questionable repairs. But, nothing is catastrophic or unrepairable.

We looked at so many boats, including two other contemporary Monks, when we were shopping, that there have been times where I've thought "gee, we should've bought the m/v whateversuch" but the fact that so few hands have been in this pudding still endears Duffy to us and should keep the odd random old repair discoveries to a minimum. Even if we have to replace every fastener and sister every other frame (which we won't) we hope to at least get Duffy to her 100th birthday.
                        I like old stuff...

Comment

• Peter Knowles
                          • May 2015

Hello, just found the thread.

Lovely boat, good luck with the repairs.
                          Everything can be fixed in time.

I'll be following along.

Peter Knowles
                          1953 38' Monk, "Geordie"
                          My YouTube channel, Travels With Geordie

Comment

• wizbang 13
                            • Oct 2009

Those two boats hauled next to each other like that warm my heart.

Comment

• RainierHooker
                              • Aug 2017

Thanks all, day four of haulout is going well. I spent the morning replacing fasteners on the port side. Ninety percent done replacing all of the most questionable nails on that side, and we should have that, and the starboard side done tomorrow.

Mark started cutting out the damaged stem. There's good news in that he hit good wood more than an inch shy of the rabbit, so it will be a pretty strait forward scarf. We will be replacing all the bolts that attach the knee to the stem and keel.

It's my turn to entertain the kids this afternoon, so while Sara is reefing and caulking seams, I'm running the kids over to MOHAI and the Seattle Center for Wooden Boats.

Pictures of progress to follow when we get home tonight...
                              I like old stuff...

Comment

• Peter Knowles
                                • May 2015

What technique are you using to remove the existing fasteners?
                                Are they clinched boat nails?

Thanks,
                                Peter
                                My YouTube channel, Travels With Geordie

Comment

Working...