Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: m/v Duffy - or - A Family's Misadventures on a 1950 Monk Cruiser

Default Re: m/v Duffy - or - A Family's Misadventures on a 1950 Monk Cruiser

^^^ yes, a bilge pump counter and an alarm on my backup pump are on my list as well. It's a long list though...

I only have a counter on my primary pump but it is amazing what it tells me. I can pretty easily tell the difference between rain water, seam water, or stuffing box water just by paying attention to when and how many times it pumps. It's the first thing I check every time I get to the boat. Recently I was getting a few counts sometimes and not others when leaving the boat at the dock. I finally figured out that the difference was whether or not I centered the rudder when I left the boat. Obviously the rudder housing is going to need some work at the next haulout.

Duffy's in Olympia for the Harbor Days Tug Boat Races. C'mon down to the Swantown breakwater and say hi if you're in the area...

Snoose is with the tugs at Percival Landing. Stop by. We probably won't get time to get over to the Swantown marina.

Made it back into Tacoma from Olympia this evening after a short but successful overnight. No new leaks!

I'll be posting a few pictures and a rundown when I get back on my real computer and have a spare moment.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I used to go to Olympia Wood Boat Fair regularly and see Duffy.
    It's a treat to see her here!
    (I got busy with a bunch of stuff,so did not chase down Chris in Gig this past weekend).
    bruce

As promised, here's a photodump of last weekend's trip to Olympia. We arrived in Budd Inlet on Saturday afternoon, just as the Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain, were doing a Battle Sail (more like a Battle Bob due to the lack of wind). This was the first time I'd seen one of these sails from a boat other than one of those two...

IMG_1897 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1899 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    After baking on Budd Inlet for long enough, we ducked into Swantown Marina and tied up to the break water...

IMG_1908 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

We wandered over to the festival just in time to see it shutting down for the night, so after wandering around for a while, we returned to Duffy to put the kids to bed, pour some cocktails, and rack out. The next morning we were back at the festival, and snapped a few pictures of the boats in attendance...

IMG_1912 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1914 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1919 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    We managed to escape the festival before it got too crowded, and got off the dock at Swantown just as the tugboats were filtering out of the harbor for the afternoon's race. I didn't get any shots of the race, as I was too busy navigating the traffic filling Budd Inlet, but I did get a good shot and a few good shouts back and forth between us and Teal, a 1949 Monk Sr. designed tug...

IMG_1920 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

The trip back was uneventful. We crossed paths with this ol' Chris...

IMG_1938 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    And then we crossed under the Narrows Bridges...

IMG_1929 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1934 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    ...before pulling in to Tacoma after a short but sweet overnighter that wasn't punctuated by any drama. Success.

No drama is good. Evidently we weren't aboard Snoose when you snapped that pic. Sorry to have missed you.

Sorry we didn't cross paths Ron. I ended up walking by Snoose a few times over the weekend, but you were apparently having too much fun ashore...

So you're coming to PT right? I'm about in your same life situation, I have to show the Admiral a success story!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Hey Evan, Duffy just showed up on Tad Roberts Facebook page... How's it going?

RH, regarding your deadhead impart, you are right in the area of the stem/forefoot knee, the stem and the keel structures meet there, and to make the 'corner' they need to be connected, either by a scarf joint, or more likely in your case, a knee, , this joint when built is bolted or sometimes drifted together, at her age, those original fastenings may be wasting and aging out, and as indicated by the motion evident, it may be time to figure out how to get these replaced. Certainly the caulking and refastening of the planks will buy you some time, but you should likely plan on a more thorough exploration on an upcoming haul out, if the underlying structures are moving, you will keep experiencing shifting and leaking...love the project, and your adventures, have fun! Steve/ BT

Sorry its been so long since my last post. Life has kinda taken us for a turn for the last few months, but we're getting back on the right tack...

Duffy has spent the better part of the winter in her covered slip save for a few weekend jaunts. We are looking forward to haul out which is set for mid-April when I am taking a couple weeks off from work. Plans are fairly comprehensive.

We've got a three-year plan to do a complete bottom re-fasten; this year all known weak areas (especially the aft chines and the forward garboard areas), next year every other plank below the waterline, and the year after will be every other other plank. We'll see how that pans out at least. She will be scraped and sanded to fair(ish) and get bottom and topside paint. Then, of course, the normal regimen of zincs and through hull stuff will be inspected and attended to. If that doesn't take up our allotted yard time, I've got some electrical and mechanical projects on the list too.

Hopefully she's looking good and fresh for her first appearance at the Olympia Wooden Boat Fair under our ownership.

As for the stem per Steve, Duffy has a large knee that is tied together with the stem and keel with six galvanized keel-bolts. Well, she has five keel bolts. The head of the one nearest the joint was MIA when we did our haul last year, and to temporarily remedy that, we drove a dowel into the hole. We will be replacing, at a minimum, that bolt in April, and will be taking a good look at the other five as well. The water-heater has to be removed, and the chain locker taken apart to get to them, which is why we haven't done anything major, other than avoiding deadheads since last fall.
    Last edited by RainierHooker; 02-15-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Glad to see you back Evan. I'm looking forward to reading about your continued adventures with Duffy.

Thanks Chris. Expect a lot more actual updates soon.

Like I said, I haven't done much on Duffy due to a turn of events in my employment. An injury from a my time in Iraq has reared its head and, long story short, I am being retired from my job on medical grounds. The last few months have been spent battening down the hatches while we figured out what that means to our life and hobbies, and while none of that has been definitively nailed-down, in the short term we should be okay. I've got lots of vacation time to burn before the inevitable hits, so we've blocked out the middle of April to spend working on Duffy.

IMG_3055 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    In the last few months, I have basically just been doing whatever I could with Duffy in her moorage that was free or near to it.
    Cleaning, varnishing, and a bit of decorating here and there. I had some material left over from reupholstering some furniture a few years back, so Duffy got new curtains to replace the aging mini-blinds...

IMG_2988 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_3049 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_2931 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    The last two pictures are a couple of framed pieces that I'm particularly proud of, first is a picture signed by Gilligan's Mary Ann, Dawn Wells who we has the pleasure of meeting at a local tiki bar. The second is a 1943 Vargas Pin-Up Calendar signed by Fireman 1st Class George Horvath, one of the few survivors of the USS Indianapolis Disaster whom we spent a little time with before his passing a couple years ago.

I was also able to rustle up some 1950s Melmac dinnerware to further complete the trip back in time that Duffy is...

IMG_2951 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

In the lead up to haul out, we've been collecting information, hardware, and supplies. Surprisingly (or not so surprisingly) Duffy's structure follows almost to a "T" the plans and descriptions published in Edwin Monk Sr's Modern Boat Building from 1939, so we've got a good base to work on while we make a plan of attack. Here's what the bow should look like...

FullSizeRender by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    And I'm waiting on some samples from Kirby Paints, but we've pretty much got our repaint scheme planned out...

IMG_3043 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    The plan is to repaint her to how she was in the 1950s, based on some pictures and info that we got from the previous owner. I think we are going with Maynard Bray Off White for the hull and #03 Green Tint for the decks and cabin tops. The heat of the summer was almost unbearable last year, so going with a lighter green should help, as well as being closer to the original "sickening seafoam green" that she wore for her first 40 years.

Sorry to hear about your employment troubles Evan. I hope that all works out for the better. Great photos of Duffy though. She's looking really good. The decor touches are perfect!

It's nothing catastrophic. The silver lining is that I've got a couple years worth of unused educational benefits left from my time in the army, so I'll probably be taking advantage of that which in the long run is better for me. And I should have more time, if not money, in the short term to devote to Duffy.

Well, looks like mother nature decided that my plans needed changing...

We had a pretty bad windstorm in our marina last night. A few boats and a few docks sustained damage. Duffy was one of them. Her stern cleat was pulled clean out of the deck and took the fairlead and part of the toe and cap rails with it. The boat swung out and apparently repeatedly struck the dock by the stem, pulling the rub rail apart like a zipper and taking a big chunk out of the wood. Thankfully the folks in a live-abord a few slips over discovered it early this morning before more damage could be caused.

IMG_3091 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_3092 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_3087 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_3089 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    The good news is that our re-fastening job from last summer seems to have saved her. not a drop of extra water and no apparent opening of any seams, even with the side loads that the stem and planks must have been subjected to. The bad news is that I'm not sure that the stem is savable, and I'm not sure that I want to motor any large distance to haul out at the yards that we know in the North Sound, so we are kind of at the mercy of the insurance company and word-of-mouth advise as we try to come up with a plan of attack.

In the meantime, Duffy has gained more mooring lines and more fenders...

IMG_3095 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr

That's a bit of bad luck. I hope not too inconvenient.

I do love this boat by the way!!! We have a sailing boat, but I am seriously tempted...

Ouch. That looks pretty ugly. But I'd bet the stem can be saved by scarfing in a repair section. Maybe trailer Duffy to a yard with good wooden boat experience? Or you could haul close by and have someone come down and do the work? I know Mark Lerdahl travels throughout Puget Sound. Great work and reasonably priced in my experience, but also in demand. John Thomas would be great as well.

I keep going back and forth on the integrity of the stem, and without hauling the boat and dismantling the v-birth and chain locker, we just won't know for sure. Ideally I'd like to get Duffy north to Port Townsend or Anacortes, simply for the fact that tools and materials will be readily available should they be needed. I think that our insurance will have the final say in that though.

i think that in a pinch I can do something of a temporary scarf covered with seam compound and a lead sheet to move the boat, but again I don't know what the backside of the stem looks like until I start taking things apart.

I'm still waiting to hear back from two local-ish shipwrights, but I'll see about tracking down the names in your post Chris. Thanks.

John Thomas is here: https://www.thomasboatrepair.com/

See PM for Mark Lerdahl contact info.

Boats from down the coast here often travel to Port Townsend to have stems repaired by Dave Thompson. As long as you can cut back to good wood, a scarf repair should work. Some of the bigger wooden workboats down here have a stem consisting of about a dozen different stem repairs...

I'm enjoying your thread - thank you!

Chris
    M/V Pokalong
    1973 Grand Banks 42

I'll look up Dave Thompson. As far as the scarfing goes, I guess it just depends on how deep we have to go to find that good wood. Some of the splintery bits are pretty close to where the planking comes in, we'll just have to see.

Upon close inspection, it looks like the foot of the stem may have moved a hair, as there is a break in the bottom paint with a bit of seam compound and caulking showing. The bilges still haven't shown any appreciable water in the three times I've gone down to check on the boat since the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    John Thomas is here: https://www.thomasboatrepair.com/

See PM for Mark Lerdahl contact info.
    Solid citizens both. Should also mention Jensens here in Seattle.

Looks like Mark Lerdahl should be able to fit me in. Just trying to find a yard with availability that jives with everyone's schedule...

Quote Originally Posted by RainierHooker View Post
    Looks like Mark Lerdahl should be able to fit me in. Just trying to find a yard with availability that jives with everyone's schedule...
    That's great Evan! Mark's a good guy and he will get that stem sorted out for sure.

Change 472:

I stopped by Hylebos Marina in Tacoma, long known for reasonable rates and as a place where folks could do their own work, today to confirm availability of space on my expedited schedule. Long story short, as of a few weeks ago they will no longer accept wooden boats into their yard and "never will again".

After a flurry of calls, we secured space at Canal Boatyard in Seattle for the week of March 19th. That gives me three weeks to shore up the bow in preparation for a slow transit up the sound and past the locks. I'll be doing a bedded lead patch on the stem, and I'll probably put ballast aft to get the bow to ride as high as possible on the trip to the yard...

Love the whitewall, the boat deserves no less....

Quote Originally Posted by RainierHooker View Post
    Change 472:

I stopped by Hylebos Marina in Tacoma, long known for reasonable rates and as a place where folks could do their own work, today to confirm availability of space on my expedited schedule. Long story short, as of a few weeks ago they will no longer accept wooden boats into their yard and "never will again".

After a flurry of calls, we secured space at Canal Boatyard in Seattle for the week of March 19th. That gives me three weeks to shore up the bow in preparation for a slow transit up the sound and past the locks. I'll be doing a bedded lead patch on the stem, and I'll probably put ballast aft to get the bow to ride as high as possible on the trip to the yard...
    Ouch. That's the second local yard that has banned wooden boats in the last year. I assume there may be others doing that as well. Not a good trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Love the whitewall, the boat deserves no less....
    When my friend just put a new set of tires on his 1936 Ford a few weeks ago, I asked him what he was doing with the old firestones. Little did I know that I would have such an urgent use for some old whitewalls so soon...