Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: m/v Duffy - or - A Family's Misadventures on a 1950 Monk Cruiser

Default m/v Duffy - or - A Family's Misadventures on a 1950 Monk Cruiser

New to this forum, but not wooden boats, so I figured that some might want to follow along as we get to know, freshen up, and cruise around our new old 35' Monk Bridgedeck Sedan, Duffy...

First off, I'll introduce Duffy; she is what some would call a textbook postwar Ed Monk Sr. sedan cruiser, built under the north span of the University Bridge on Seattle's Lake Union by the Adams Boat Co. in 1950. We are the third family to take her up, having just purchased her earlier this summer. The previous owners bought her from the widow of the original owner in 1991 and restored most of her systems and cosmetics in the mid 1990s. The original owner, from 1950 to 1991 had her boathouse kept on Lake Union, and the previous owners had her boathouse kept in Shelton from 1991 until we purchased her and brought her to Tacoma, where she should be moving into covered moorage as soon as our spot opens up this fall.

Duffy by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    Functionally speaking, she is cedar over oak frames with mahogany brightwork and interior. She is galvanized-nail fastened and has never been refastened or replanked. She is currently powered by a single Marine-Power/GM 4.3L V6 Gas Engine feeding a Hurth V-Drive. This motor replaced a similar 4.3 V6, of 1996 vintage, earlier this year. Duffy was Chrysler Crown powered from 1950 to '56 when she received a Chrysler-Marine Hemi that lasted until '96. Other systems and tankage were redone in the 1990s, but largely maintaining their simple postwar configuration.

And as for who we are, well, we're a family of four, and a dog. My wife and I met sailing tall ships over a decade ago, and ended up getting hitched in 2013. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, but have messed around with boats since I was a kid being dragged around the Puget Sound on an old Tollycraft. The wife, after 8 years of full-time living and working on various tall ships from here to Hawaii, attended and graduated from Seattle Central's Marine Carpentry Program just prior to the arrival of the first of our two kids.

So, as a young couple with two kids, an old house, and far too many hobbies, we decided to give masochism a try. We started looking for an old wooden boat.

To be continued...

Default Re: m/v Duffy - or - A Family's Misadventures on a 1950 Monk Cruiser

Definitely signing on to follow this thread! Duffy is very similar to my old boat, Savona - a 38' Monk bridgedeck built in 1942. And coincidentally, as a boy I lived aboard a vintage Matthews under the University Bridge, right in the yard where Duffy was built. It was called Miller Marine then, but the shed, marine railway, etc. were still there. Gone now though. I'm looking forward to following your adventures.

Chris, thanks for tuning in. I have been following your work on Petrel since I started lurking this forum. As for the Adams/Miller yard, here are the only two original pictures I have of Duffy, from the day of her launch in the Spring of 1950...

Launch of Duffy by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    Duffy the newborn by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    The first photo is obviously of Duffy's birth. The address on sign on the building in the background is 909 Northlake Way, now 909 Pacific. The second is Duffy tied up under the University Bridge, the north-span pylons are in the background. Her original owner, Dr. Eugene Kidd is on the swim step in the overcoat, and his wife and one of two kids are barely visible in the wheelhouse.

Beautiful boat. We cruise South Sound (and elsewhere) a lot in Snoose, we'll watch for Duffy. "RainierHooker", mountain, baseball or beer?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Beautiful boat. We cruise South Sound (and elsewhere) a lot in Snoose, we'll watch for Duffy. "RainierHooker", mountain, baseball or beer?
    Thanks! The short answer to your question is: yes. The somewhat longer answer is; when I was in the Army, I was a Flight Engineer on Chinook helicopters, and Chinook crewmembers call each other "hookers". The first aircraft that I was assigned ended up flying the skies of Afghanistan emblazoned with the Rainier Beer logo as nose-art...

I too am signing up for this thread. Love the old Monks!

And - I may be east coast but I have a boat built on Lake Union.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Great photos RainerHooker. Yep, 909 NE Boat St (which is the street that runs parallel to Northlake/Pacific along the water there) was my address as a kid and that dock where Duffy is moored in the second picture was still there, although half-sunk and rotten. In another coincidence, I later lived aboard Savona in the slip you can see at farthest left in the marina beyond the bridge supports. It's now the Washington Boat Center and was the local Tollycraft dealer for many years. Looks like you have a really great boat. I hope to see you out on the Sound as well.

Great looking boat. Congratulations!

Wojo

Thanks guys. Now to get caught up on our last few months with Duffy...

After years of talking about getting our own boat, we finally decided to make that happen after I came back from working overseas last summer. I ended up selling one of my collector cars (I mentioned too many hobbies, didn't I) and with cash in the bank, and an internet full of listings, we set out to look at some boats.

Having sailed on tall-ships our whole maritime careers, we were set on finding a traditionally rigged old sailboat. After months of looking at every sailboat that struck our atheistic fancy, and coming up with nothing that fit our family, or pocketbook, Sara and our kids spent a week on an old shipmate's newly acquired 1946 salmon Trawler "Duke". She came away with a newfound appreciation for these old motor boats and their ability to contain the kids and keep out the weather. So, we expanded our search to old cruisers and working boats. We looked at a few more boats and checked off a few more from our list, eventually paring down to two similar Monks. We were eventually swayed by Duffy's originality and the apparent care taken by her previous owners. We made an offer, it was accepted, and on to the sea trial and survey...

IMG_1359 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1336 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1360 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />

...the survey didn't turn up much. Just the normal things like expired fire extinguishers and the like. The long and short of it is, we took ownership of Duffy on July 1st
    Last edited by RainierHooker; 08-18-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Re-Hosted Images

On the 1st Sara, myself, and another old friend from our tall ships days showed up at the Shelton Yacht Club. We got a few raised eyebrows, being professional mariners, we all showed up with more foul weather, repair, and emergency gear than most yachts had probably seen. With a toddler and baby in tow. No matter, it ended up being a great weather day and we ended up being lead out of Hammersley Inlet by a friend of the previous owners and his Grand Banks. Duffy made it to her new home in Tacoma with a minimum of drama...

IMG_1446 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    ...that is until we were packing up the car to head back to the house. Our new slip neighbor shouted up to us in the parking lot "hey, your bilge pumps are pumping A LOT." We rushed down to Duffy, pulled up the soles and found the bilges full of water. Fresh water. Some waterlogged investigations revealed the problem; the fresh water pump is activated by a pull switch next to the galley and head sinks, they are not automatic shutoff. At some point, someone, I'm guessing a wee one, pulled the switch in the head, and left the pump running long enough to over-pressurize and blow the clamped junction of the water line to the sink faucet. It pumped the entirety of our fresh water tanks into the bilge. Coulda been worse...
    Last edited by RainierHooker; 08-18-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Re-Hosted Images

Nice, you must have gone by Southern tip of Key Peninsula (Devils Head and McNeill Island) not far from where we are

We spent the next few days cleaning out every compartment on Duffy, and pumping and shop-vac'ing out the last remaining moisture from the bilges. We got a good look and understanding of her construction and systems far exceeding what we got in the survey. We found a few small issues, I have my work cut out for me in the plumbing and wiring departments (I'm an aircraft mechanic so there is a quotient of OCD), and we found a few frames that need a sister or two and a few seams that need a bit of caulking. All in all we didn't find anything to keep us from floating around Commencement Bay on the 4th of July...

IMG_1469 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1465 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr
    Last edited by RainierHooker; 08-18-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Great photos, great story. Reminds me of my first days with Savona. Duffy looks like a really nice boat. Congrats!

Thanks for posting these, fun to look at and follow the story. Petrel and Snoose will be in Gig Harbor the Friday before Labor Day, then we (Snoose) will be continuing on to Olympia to take part in the Harbor Days Festival over the Labor Day weekend. If you will be out and about, we will watch for you. Above you mentioned a friend with the salmon trawler (troller?) Duke. Is that the same boat that is in the Duke thread in the Bilge?

Ron can you point me to the Duke thread? I'm curious but have sworn off of the Bilge for now...

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Ron can you point me to the Duke thread? I'm curious but have sworn off of the Bilge for now...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?227388-Duke

Ron, we might have to take Duffy out to Gig Harbor next Friday then. That's a busy weekend for us, but any excuse to get on the water is a good one. As for our friend Ryan's Troller (yes, I mis-stepped with my spelling) Duke it is not the one in the "Bilge". Ryan's Duke was built in Tacoma in '47 and fished the Oregon and Washington coasts until the 1990s. She lives in Bellingham now...

duke by Evan Bailly, on Flickr (Photograph by Ryan Downs)

Thanks Ron. RainierHooker, as you can imagine I love your friend's boat!

Duke is a really great boat. Her fish hold was removed and the aft cabin added sometime in the late 90's but she is still a very basic, very Spartan boat. Single 6-71, and she still has most of her gear aboard. Ryan is very lucky for Duke to have found him.

For our first real trip aboard Duffy, we shot up the Colvos Passage to Blake Island after work. We got in after dark so we spent the first night in the 30-minute spot on their dock...

IMG_1514 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    The next morning at sunrise we swung around the island and spent the next couple days on a mooring buoy on the Southwest side...

IMG_1537 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1533 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    Clyde, our English Setter, ensured that no seagulls could close to dangerous distances from Duffy...

IMG_1526 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    And just for good measure, we motored up to Winslow and then around to Brownsville before heading back to Tacoma...

IMG_1546 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    All this time the engine had been developing a miss and intermittent low power. I had noticed it at the end of our trip on our first day of ownership, but as the engine was brand new, I chalked it up to a break-in anomaly. But it had been getting worse every time we took the boat out for more than a few hours and finally the engine started really missing and loosing power on this trip. Doing some underway troubleshooting, I ended up finding the a proper symptom; under load one of the plug wires was arcing between the lead, the boot, the cap, the engine deck, and on one occasion my finger (ouch). I spaced out the wires the best I could with zip-ties, and endeavored to get a new set of plug wires when we got home. When the new wires (good, expensive ones from MSD) came in, I found this...

IMG_1573 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    The porcelain insulator had cracked around the core of the plug and as the crack was growing, it was allowing more and more electrons to escape. The resulting resistance and draw was causing the feedback in the wires causing the arcing. The plugs were new, and the engine had about 30 hours on it at the time, so the plug was likely cracked from new, or was damaged when the engine was installed. Always inspect your parts before installation and use the proper tools!

Nice boat, looks like you'll be having some good times. I'd be pretty disappointed in the survey if it failed to show up a couple of cracked frames and seams that need caulking. So often on here you see the advice to get a survey, but in reality whether you get a survey or not there's no substitute for a good day on board poking into every nook and cranny you can find.

great boat! i am new to this forum also, having been on garage journal for a good while. i think i recognize you from there. you cetainly did nice work on your house and garage and i bet you will do the same with your lovely boat.

jim

Beautiful boat! Cool provenance with the old photographs...looks like the boat found the right owners. No lifelines on Duffy...times sure change! She looks good, I love the lines on Monk's boats, especially the cabin sides. Thanks for sharing your story and the boat!

Thanks all, the surveyor actually did quite good and was quite thorough. As thorough as one could reasonably expect given the limitations of time and space for haul out and all the other scheduling arrangements that come with coordinating buyer, seller, surveyor, lift, yard, etc...

None of the seams were actively leaking or even seeping at the time (more on that when we get caught up), but had done so at one time. The few frames that I found that will probably require attention were in inaccessible areas, behind tankage, equipment, or otherwise. You can't expect perfection on a 67 year old anything, but Duffy defiantly came as close as we could expect in what we wanted in a boat.

The next update should bring us up to date with where we stand on Duffy, and will more aptly place this thread in this Building/Repair sub forum. To be continued...

My family does an annual reunion of sorts at one of my aunt's n' uncles's places in Coupeville every August, so we decided to use that as an excuse to take a week off of work, and give Duffy a good extended workout. We left the Thursday before the reunion, again making an overnight stop-off moored off Blake Island.

IMG_1613 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    A quick stop at Shilshole for a sip of gas (she averages 3 GPH at 7.5kn) and we were coming up on Coupeville's wharf by mid-afternoon. We called the harbormaster to see if we could wrangle a spot, or at one of their buoys, but were answered with "first come first served" and "no reservations", so we just pushed the throttle a little higher and hoped for the best. As we were coming up on the wharf we were greeted by an irate harbormaster that said we needed to immediately wave off our approach because the spot we were aiming for was "reserved" for a very large, very fast, and very dollar laden, plastic yacht that was quickly coming from astern. At the last minute, I was forced to come aback, and in the confusion and rush to get out of the way of the other vessel who was still coming on fast, the painter from our towed tender decided to make a run at our prop. Long story short, after we lost propulsion, and much of our steerage, we limped our way onto a hastily cleared spot on the dock, and went for a swim...

IMG_1617 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    Strike one. Always watch your painter.

No matter. We made it to the reunion, spent an extra day and night in Coupeville, and decided to head to the San Juans via the Swinomish Channel and Anacortes.

Now, coming from both commercial boats, and as former aircrew, both my wife and I are pretty religious about an hourly boat-check. Always do a boat-check.

Our on-the-hour boat-check came just as we were turning north out of Penn Cove, and ended when Sara reported that the aft bilges were full of water. Throttle back, hold station, assess. Turns out that our little adventure with the prop had vibrated the shaft seal to the point of unseating the seal from its collar. Water was coming in at a pretty good clip, and a plugged limber hole was inhibiting feed to the aft most bilge pump.

Strike two. Always do a boat check.

Okay, so we resealed the seal, pumped out the bilges, and headed for the "Hole in the Wall" and the Swinomish Channel. Stay tuned for strike three...

"Hole in the Wall" and "strike three" are not good things to see in the same sentence. I'm hoping you didn't run aground there? Awkward spot. There was a brief discussion of it one a thread somewhere - maybe my Petrel thread? In any case the consensus was that I could not claim to have never run aground since I touched bottom coming out of the south end of the Swinomish in Savona some years ago, even though I didn't get stuck.

As for the dinghy painter... You may already know this given your experience, but I use poly line for towing because it floats. It's miserable stuff to handle but less likely to get fouled in the prop. You can also buy floating poly rope with a braided nylon jacket that might be nicer but I've never tried it.

No grounding, but you are right about the Swinomish. Awkward is right.

Remember what I said about boat-checks? Always do boat-checks. Two hourly boat-checks after our little shaft seal snafu, we were running north of La Conner in the Swinomish Channel.

For those of you that haven't been to, heard of, read of, or charted it, The Swinomish channel is a narrow dredged channel that runs north-south between Fidalgo Island and the mainland, through the city of La Conner. If you are in Skagit Bay and want to go north, it is one of three options that you have, the others being Deception Pass which requires timing to not look a fool, and rounding the south end of Whidbey, which is an all-day affair. The channel cuts off a good few hours over the Deception Pass route, but because it gets as narrow as 100 feet, and is often used by log tugs, you have to be on your toes. We were on the knife edge of making the tides at Deception Pass, so we steered for the "Hole-in-the-Wall" the southern end of the 12' deep dredged channel and up through picturesque La Conner...

21 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    Then, that afore-mentioned boat-check clock came 'round. Sara went down into the V-Birth and popped back up with, "the sole is wet." Unable to stop in the channel due to traffic, we pulled soles underway and determined that we were infact flooding from the bow, the water coming in at the keel under the chain locker. The Bilge pumps were keeping up just fine, and nothing else was amiss, so we kept heading north to Anacortes, now for an extended stay rather than a fuel stop.

Strike Three. Always do boat checks.

When we tied up in Anacortes, we got a good look and quickly determined the likely source of the flooding. The rub rail on Duffy's bow, a single piece that runs all the way from the stem to about four or five feet back on the keel was cracked in the middle and the 6 inches below the split were bent over to starboard. A deadhead is the most likely cause, since the Swinomish regularly shoals in from logging activity, but we don't recall hearing or seeing anything in particular. Once we got the bilges pumped out, we determined that there was no catastrophic danger, as only one of the two bilge pumps was cycling for about 20 seconds every five minutes, but we weren't going to be continuing north, and we weren't going to be heading south until we took a better look.

We started calling around to our north-sound wooden boat friends and eventually connected with Andy at Emerald Marine in Anacortes. I cannot speak more highly of Andy, his crew, and his yard. He was launching a customer's sailboat and was going to have that boat's space free for a couple of days, so he arranged for us to roll onto the lift as soon as the sail boat was clear, and for us to be blocked up in its space immediately thereafter. He offered the full support of his tool crib and expertise to get us back in the water before his next scheduled customer was to arrive. So Duffy was on a drive through Anacortes early Wednesday morning...

IMG_1667 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    And blocked up for repairs before most people were done with their morning commutes...

IMG_1672 by Evan Bailly, on Flickr
    Last edited by RainierHooker; 08-19-2017 at 11:56 PM.

You can see in the above picture the area where the supposed deadhead impacted the bow. What we couldn't see was the fact that there is a seam right behind the point of impact, and that seam's caulking was blown out, and continuing to degrade the caulking in the planking aft of it...

IMG_1674 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1678 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    Aided by Andy and his tools, and with my rockstar of a wife leading the charge, we started reefing, and ended up refastening most of the planks in that area. Andy helped behind the caulking mallet and recaulked most of the bow under the waterline and about five feet back, as well as another suspect seam (one of the ones we found earlier) on the aft part of the starboard chine. I finished up by sealing the seams and applying a fresh new Blue Nose Of Shame...

IMG_1681 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1687 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1696 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1697 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    We were on the boat lift at 8AM on day one and splashed at 9AM on day two ready to make the run strait home to Tacoma. Again, a huge thanks to Andy, Emerald Marine, and his Crew.

We made it safely back to our slip before midnight that night, having left navigating by radar in a fog bank and having arrived navigating by radar and lights into a dark Commencement Bay. In a week on Duffy we learned a lot, reconfirmed a lot of our old habits, and had an adventure that we will probably always remember. We also have a real good idea of what Duffy can and cannot handle, as well as giving her that workout so we can see what needs to be improved upon.

We will be hauling out sooner than the next spring that we had originally planned for, in order to address some of those needs, but still plan on getting some good time on Duffy before the seasons change.
    Last edited by RainierHooker; 08-19-2017 at 11:44 PM.

One of our forum members, James Mcmullen used to be involved with Emerald Marine, it's highly respected here.

Besides lifting floorboards and looking for water, can you tell me what else you do on your hourly boat checks? I admit I don't have such a regimen but I do have a bilge pump counter in the pilot house that tells me a lot and I highly recommend it. I regularly watch engine gauges, but admit one of the best warning systems is the sound of the engine. It often runs several hours at the same rpm and the sound is very constant. Any slight change or stutter in that sound will heighten all of my senses and even a shut down if I don't understand why it stuttered.

The other safety factor I have is BoatUS towing insurance. About $120/yr for the Salish Sea including Canada. Only had to use it once so far when the transmission seized a few years ago but the peace of mind is priceless.

Ron,

We do a front to back check, just lift the soles and peek in to check for water/oil, look at levels on the tanks, check switches (things that little fingers like to trip), check the shaft seal/packing(s) and the sea strainer. If running after dark, add in all your lighting. We've got a good flow and it takes less than 5 minutes, but gives you good piece of mind and allows you to see how things are going underway rather than sitting on the dock.

We've got Boat US vessel assist too. We know a few towboat captains and relief captains, and their stories of recoveries, which sometime amount to near-piracy, should frighten anyone enough to pay for the membership.

I like your boat check regimen very much. That's definitely going to be my new habit while under way. I've had the BoatUS towing plan since I first bought Savona twenty years ago. I've never needed it (yet) but I agree that the peace of mind of having it is more than worth the membership fee.

Went out to bob in the middle of Commencement Bay for the eclipse yesterday...

IMG_1815 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1828 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    The eclipse was well, an eclipse. I think I had more fun just running the boat around the bay. We spent a little time trying different engine speeds and seeing where our true best cruise speed is. According to the basic hull speed calculation, Duffy's is just under 8 knots. We have been cruising at the previous owner's recommended engine speed of 1600-1800 RPM which puts us right in the 6.5-7 knot range. I found some charts for the Marine Power engine that we have that show an increase in power and inversely proportional to fuel consumption up to 2300 RPM, so I figured that we should be cruising a little higher than what the previous owner was doing. Turns out that she's got a little sweet spot from 1750-2000 RPM, the top end of which is good for 8 knots after which the noise and wake get a little less bearable. Our next extended trip might include some further testing with a taff log to get some real data.

When we got back on the dock, I found a little more water in the aft bilge than when we started...

IMG_1812 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    IMG_1810 by Evan Bailly, on Flickbr />
    ...looks like the seam we found on our Anacortes haul-out is weeping a bit. Its right at the chine. The stringer that the battery shelf and battery charger is kinda wonky and the frame forward of the battery charger is, well, in need of help. More to do on haul out this year...

Good looking old boat, thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

...looks like the seam we found on our Anacortes haul-out is weeping a bit. Its right at the chine. The stringer that the battery shelf and battery charger is kinda wonky and the frame forward of the battery charger is, well, in need of help. More to do on haul out this year...
    Funny - I wish the inside of Petrel looked that good. But it's all relative I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Funny - I wish the inside of Petrel looked that good. But it's all relative I suppose.
    Yeah, all things relative, Duffy ain't too bad. But I'm afraid to poke that one frame with much more than my finger and a little force, its pretty soft. The stringer is pretty weak at the forward end too. I'm guessing that some battery electrolyte has been sloshed on that area a time or two. The saving grace is that they built her pretty stout, most frames are 9" on center, so the degradation of one section of one frame isn't a game changer.

The flooding from that one seam looked much worse than is was. A limber hole had an ancient planer shaving in it acting as a check valve. The bilge water could flow aft into the engine compartment bilge, but not forward to the bilge pump. I'm thinking of adding a third bilge pump back there (the furthest aft of my two is just aft of amidships), but am trying to work out that install. I'd also like to add counters per Ron's suggestions so that I can keep tabs on how the bilges really are.