Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1954 Trojan Sea Breeze

Default Re: 1954 Trojan Sea Breeze

Yes, we look forward to using her as our "lake house" someday.

Cool boat! I am trying to restore a neglected old plywood boat as well and my father and I recently pulled her off the trailer and set her on a makeshift cradle (that is actually my slide in camper dolly). Heavy duty casters! Looking at your rigging set up I feel better about what we did which was similar...we didn't have a crane truck so we used a gantry we built to pull the engine (also a little four cylinder) and an engine hoist to lift her up and roll the trailer out and the cradle in place. I was pretty nervous as well...once she was blocked up in the cradle I felt a lot better! I'm interested to see how the bottom was fastened and how difficult it is to remove the fasteners. My old girl was screwed together with galvanized slot head screws which have deteriorated to rusty nubs.

Thanks for for posting and I'm looking forward to following your restoration...great looking boat!

Take an ice pick and see if you can push it through any suspect boards.
    You will have your answer if that board needs replacing.
    You are going to need a large shop vacuum. You will use it a lot.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Hmmmm, ..... I wouldn't be happy if someone went poking at my boat with an ice pick. Really, if you really have a question you can learn as much if not more with a straight pin. (An ice pick is fine if you know it is bad and are curious how bad.

Surveyors use ice picks all the time.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Surveyors use ice picks all the time.

Maybe in Arizona.

Not on my boat they won't.

........... I had to have a survey done this past July in order to get insurance. I hired 'the guy' in the area for wooden boats and he never took out an ice pick (or anything resembling one).

I tapped around in various places with my car key when I went to look at it before buying it. That's all I felt I needed to do to get an idea of where rot might be. Once I get things cleaned up a bit, when my job leaves me alone for a moment, I think any rot on the inside will reveal itself pretty readily. I can't get underneath at the moment. That's where I expect to find the center seam issue. After the winter, I'll be able to pull her out and flip her sans cabin. THEN I expect we could get an eyeful. She's plywood. So the edges of the plywood are where I'm thinking I'm most likely going to find issues. I bet there is a world of goo and goop slathered over old trouble spots.