Thread: Need help estimating weight for transport

Default Need help estimating weight for transport

Hi all,

I'm inheriting a 24 foot wooden lobster boat in Edgecomb, Maine, and am trying to source a trailer to move it to my place in the Hudson Valley. I'm having a devil of a time getting info from the yard where she sits, so I'm left trying to estimate the weight so that I can find an adequate trailer to pick it up. I know it's 24' long, and it's a very standard down east lobster boat design, with round bottom and one-sided pilot house. There is an inboard in it, but I don't know what it is or how much it weighs. The boat has been sitting uncovered for at least a few years, so I have no idea if it's even going to be worth the haul, but I'd like to be prepared just in case it turns out to be a good candidate for restoration.

My only data point is a 26' Sisu that I have pulled quite a lot. I believe that boat weighs around 7000 and I pulled it fairly comfortably with my Tundra and a standard tandem axle bunk trailer.

Anyone willing to take a guess at what a 24' wooden lobster boat with an anonymous inboard might weigh? More or less than the Sisu?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Need help estimating weight for transport

Tell us the beam and the normal draft, and we can get pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by samueldnewman View Post
    Hi all,

I'm inheriting a 24 foot wooden lobster boat in Edgecomb, Maine, and am trying to source a trailer to move it to my place in the Hudson Valley. I'm having a devil of a time getting info from the yard where she sits, so I'm left trying to estimate the weight so that I can find an adequate trailer to pick it up. I know it's 24' long, and it's a very standard down east lobster boat design, with round bottom and one-sided pilot house. There is an inboard in it, but I don't know what it is or how much it weighs. The boat has been sitting uncovered for at least a few years, so I have no idea if it's even going to be worth the haul, but I'd like to be prepared just in case it turns out to be a good candidate for restoration.

My only data point is a 26' Sisu that I have pulled quite a lot. I believe that boat weighs around 7000 and I pulled it fairly comfortably with my Tundra and a standard tandem axle bunk trailer.

Anyone willing to take a guess at what a 24' wooden lobster boat with an anonymous inboard might weigh? More or less than the Sisu?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    10 000 pounds would be my guess but if it's water logged from sitting out it could be more.

Thanks for the replies; I will post beam and draft as soon as I know them.

I have a little more info now. The boat is 28 feet long and the beam is 8'. That seems quite narrow for a boat that length, and I'm wondering how that might affect the handling of it - maybe a little less stable in rollers but quicker and more efficient? I haven't been able to get any info on draft yet, unfortunately.

Any idea who built her or how old she is? (That would help in understanding her size and construction.)
    As Tom said, I think 10K pounds (5 tons) should pretty well cover it.

28ft, 8ft beam, ...... could be a pretty boat.

If it was a "box" 1 foot deep it would weigh about 13500 lbs.
    Get the actual draft and figure out a prismatic coefficient and make your best guess.

https://www.ericwsponberg.com/wp-con...ign-ratios.pdf

Thanks guys, that is helpful. I'm having a hard time getting info from the owner (we've been communicating via an intermediary), so I know almost nothing about it. But, I think I've found a local shop that can go and take a look at it tomorrow, so I will report back as soon as I know more. I think I've given up in the idea of trying to transport it myself, and so will likely be hiring someone to do that for me, or maybe just finding a local place to store it for the winter.

My SWAG would be 7,000 to 10,000 pounds. If it is a skeg boat, closer to the 7,000 number. If it is built down, closer to the 10,000.

My boat is cold molded and is based on a 1952 Beal's Island boat that was 28' by 8' and weighed an estimated 7,800 pounds if I recall correctly. As a cold molded boat (with a modern, lighter weight power plant) of 28' by 8'6", I'm around 6,500 pounds.
    Last edited by BKay; 08-16-2017 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Can't proofread.

My stab at it is two tons. She is only 24 feet!

Boat's going to be 3500 pounds or so. A 4000-pound trailer will do ya.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

More info revealed a 28 foot by 8 foot beam wooden lobster boat.
    It's going to be 3 - 5 tons depending...
    Are the tanks empty?
    What's stored on board?
    How much growth remains hanging off the bottom?
    Is the motor in it?
    How water logged from rain is the bilge?
    There are so many variables and not one picture.
    Have it surveyed. Then you'll have a much better idea of so many things.
    Split the cost with the owner...who you're not in touch with...
    Good luck, let us know the outcome.