Thread: Eclipse Corona

Default Eclipse Corona

Astronomy Picture Of the Day (LINK)

Detailed View of a Solar Eclipse Corona
    Image Credit & Copyright: Miloslav Druckmüller (Brno U. of Tech.), Martin Dietzel, Peter Aniol, Vojtech Rušin

2017-08-13
    Explanation: Only in the fleeting darkness of a total solar eclipse is the light of the solar corona easily visible. Normally overwhelmed by the bright solar disk, the expansive corona,the sun's outer atmosphere,is an alluring sight. But the subtle details and extreme ranges in the corona's brightness, although discernible to the eye, are notoriously difficult to photograph. Pictured here,however, using multiple images and digital processing, is a detailed image of the Sun's corona taken during the 2008 August total solar eclipse from Mongolia. Clearly visible are intricate layers and glowing caustics of an ever changing mixture of hot gas and magnetic fields. Bright looping prominences appear pink just above the Sun's limb. A similar solar corona might be visible through clear skies in a thin swath across the USA during a total solar eclipse that occurs just one week from tomorrow.

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Default Re: Eclipse Corona

What a singular image. See the topographic details in the moon, too. An instance for the proper use of the word awesome.

The wife and I are taking that Monday off. We are almost in the direct path of totality with dead center being just up the road in Spring City. I think it has a total totality time of 2 minutes and 39 seconds. We've been getting our camera's ready and hope to get some good shots.

The little sleepy town (really just a wide spot in the road) will be hoping Monday. We drove up yesterday to scope out a few spots. We've found a great place, but it is first come first serve on parking. We plan on getting up bright and early and driving up, only a 30 minute drive, and hope to get a spot there. If not our back up plan is to come back down into Dayton and I can set up at the National Guard Armory. This is one of my old units and I have already coordinated with the Readiness NCO. Dayton is not center like Spring City but is only about 15 miles difference.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds Love is My Religion

2 min & 21 seconds in Dayton

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages...DMAP%27&OMap=0

Chad

I'm hoping anyone who has a good story or photos will post them here. Maybe we should start an eclipse thread.

Best of luck in your viewing, protect your eyes, and Have Fun!

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

I most certainly will post pictures. We've went and invested in welding goggles instead of solar eclipse glasses for personal wearing and filters for the lenses. New tripods and shutter releases. Hopefully we will get some great shots.

Here is my moon shot taken in May. We only have one lens of this length so the wife will be using that one and I will be using a shorter lens myself but still hope to get some great shots.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by cs View Post
    We've went and invested in welding goggles ...
    Just so no one does something foolish. You need special welding glasses. I believe electric arc and rating 14. But what do I know.
    Life is complex.

Show caution if you want to take photos of the eclipse. Avoid of lining up shot via eye piece.

One should note - the best part of being in the complete shadow of the eclipse is taking note of the sounds around you as the shadow crosses becomes complete and then retreats. Stay away from noise makers and loud people. Try to be close to a wooded area with birds, insects and a small lake with fish. Observe wind and air movement if applicable.
    The world's big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.

I just found this, taken on July fifth this year, a composite image of the same kind as the OP.

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory Watches a Sunspot

On July 5, 2017, NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory watched an active region — an area of intense and complex magnetic fields — rotate into view on the Sun. This image shows a blended view of the sunspot in visible and extreme ultraviolet light, revealing bright coils arcing over the active region — particles spiraling along magnetic field lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Show caution if you want to take photos of the eclipse. Avoid of lining up shot via eye piece.

One should note - the best part of being in the complete shadow of the eclipse is taking note of the sounds around you as the shadow crosses becomes complete and then retreats. Stay away from noise makers and loud people. Try to be close to a wooded area with birds, insects and a small lake with fish. Observe wind and air movement if applicable.
    Right. And watch the weird images cast by the spaces between leaves, etc.

I object, casually, to the insistence on making a fearful science demonstration out of an eclipse. During totality you don't need eye protection, and the rest of the time you should be looking elsewhere anyway.

The world is transformed.

Peering through pinhole devices will do nothing but confirm that, as advertised, there's a bite out of the sun. Meanwhile the view around you becomes literally marvelous. Aside from totality, it isn't the sun itself that's of interest to those not studying it anyway. It's the light. And since you're outdoors, everything you see is by that light. Look around.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?