Thread: Toyota + Intel: self-driving cars

Default Toyota + Intel: self-driving cars

Sounds like lots of brainstorming going on --

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...141900413.html

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Toyota + Intel: self-driving cars

When I see someone saying something like "Renault is cozying up to Nissan", apparently unaware that the two formed a joint venture 15 years ago, effectively merging the two companies, I do wonder what is going on with financial reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    When I see someone saying something like "Renault is cozying up to Nissan", apparently unaware that the two formed a joint venture 15 years ago, effectively merging the two companies, I do wonder what is going on with financial reporting.
    Aren't they and their subsidiaries the world's number three car company now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Indeed... lots of people writing 'content' who are more adept at tapping into the distribution channels than expert on the subject matter.

And there was a typo in the thurd perigraph.

But - did you have any thoughts about this trend toward collaboration... or about self-driving cars?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Indeed... lots of people writing 'content' who are more adept at tapping into the distribution channels than expert on the subject matter.

And there was a typo in the thurd perigraph.

But - did you have any thoughts about this trend toward collaboration... or about self-driving cars?
    Didn't mean to dismiss this entirely. Just that "collaboration" isn't a trend--it's been the basic economic structure of the auto industry since its inception. No single company has been able to build a capital base large enough to do all the necessary chores needed to design, tool, and manufacture an entire car line, although a few have tried. Closest may have been Ford's Model A.

The story here is mainly about developing an AI system robust enough to navigate a car through traffic. This has been under development for roughly 35 years now--at least that is when I started looking at prototypes using vision-guided systems.
    I have doubts that the AI software will be equal to the task anytime soon, but many auto companies and software companies think they can do it quite quickly. I also think that self-driving isn't really much of a useful goal to begin with. I do think that there are some fairly cheap, much less complex ways to make cars capable of avoiding most serious crashes and the resulting fatalities, systems that also are under development without much publicity. Might add that I have a terrible track record of predicting future technology. I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to carry a telephone around all the time, as one example.