Thread: Coloring bedding compound

Default Coloring bedding compound

Anybody got any idea how to match bedding compound to mahogany? They used to make mahogany Dolfinite but I can't find any, and besides it was pretty expensive. I'm building a Herreshof canoe, trying not to use glues.

Default Re: Coloring bedding compound

Dolphinite goes by the name Dolphin or Dolchem these days. Still available in mahogany, still expensive, maybe quart minimum.

Adding color to any bedding compound must be done with aniline dye. Pigmented stain will cause the bedding compound to dry out and turn to powder. Better to use colored Dolfinite from the factory. Adding Bloxygen and inverting the can of unused compound on the shelf will allow it to last for several years. Dolfinite is expensive but still a very good product. You might also consider re-packaging in smaller cans when first buying the quart. They used to sell it in pints! Try paint stores for pint and half pint cans. I get mine from a local auto paint supply house.
    here is an address for you. https://www.uline.com/BL_8177/Paint-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-12-2017 at 02:54 PM.

I've had good luck tinting Dolphinite with UTC's. Because they are designed for creating custom colors in oil-based topcoats... they work with the traditional composition of Dolphinite. And because they are available in liquid form - they don't foster the premature drying out that Jay mentions.

But Dolphinite is, afik, still available in 'mahogany'. It was last summer, anyway, when I bought my last quart of that flavor. Might as well use it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I've had good luck tinting Dolphinite with UTC's.
    What does 'UTC' stand for ?

Because they are designed for creating custom colors in oil-based topcoats... they work with the traditional composition of Dolphinite.
    Good reasoning.

And because they are available in liquid form - they don't foster the premature drying out that Jay mentions.
    + 1

UTC = Universal Tinting Colorants. They're widely available, and go a long way. My local pro paint shop refills my film-canister-size containers (a few ounces), out of their large paint-tinting beast. Lasts a long time, and is very inexpensive that way.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

'Many Thanks' David G ! Been busy and not had much time at my disposal

I brew my own bedding compound following a series of trial-and-error runs on recipes that I picked off the web.

Usually managed to tint it 'mahogany', but now you have provided a solution for other shades and colours.