Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How are assault weapons a good idea...anybody want to explain this?

Default How are assault weapons a good idea...anybody want to explain this?

Watching the white supremacist protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia this morning. Clubs, ball bats, brass knuckles, thrown water bottles, tear gas, and milling crowds of Neo-nazis, KKK, and Black Lives and White Lives protestors. In the middle of an obvious riot men are seen carrying assault weapons...Virginia is an Open-carry state, but how is it a good idea to permit guns in a situation like this?

Default Re: How are assault weapons a good idea...anybody want to explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Watching the white supremacist protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia this morning. Clubs, ball bats, brass knuckles, thrown water bottles, tear gas, and milling crowds of Neo-nazis, KKK, and Black Lives and White Lives protestors. In the middle of an obvious riot men are seen carrying assault weapons...Virginia is an Open-carry state, but how is it a good idea to permit guns in a situation like this?
    Because you are governed by halfwits and the majority of your country-folk can't see any problem?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Pretty soon the usual gun enthusiasts will be along to tell you there is no such thing as an assault rifle.

OK. I'll buy that. So, when is it a good thing to allow any guns into a scene like that? It isn't.

At this point, we liberals should consider the danger we're putting ourselves in by not owning some kind of firearm.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    At this point, we liberals should consider the danger we're putting ourselves in by not owning some kind of firearm.
    I whole heartedly agree....... The issue is not so much when open carry is allowed, but where and by whom..... I don't personally agree That a protest/demonstration is the most intelligent place, but
    you cannot legislate common sense.
    Last edited by jack grebe; 08-12-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Open carry is a really, REALLY dumb idea, no matter what type of firearm it is. It's not about protection, it's about making a statement. A dumb one.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Pretty soon the usual gun enthusiasts will be along to tell you there is no such thing as an assault rifle.
    I'm not aware that anyone says there's no such thing as an assault rifle.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    You're a decent man McMike, and your transition to this viewpoint might be instructive for a lot of people. As long as the very worst people own firearms I see no reason why decent people can't too. The next phase for you is to (ideally) not mention it, not feel bad about it, and not feel that you have to defend the position; it's nobody's business but yours. Bad people and people who f*ck up need to do the explaining.

Well, they are a damn good idea on an actual battlefield.

That's it.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    I whole heartedly agree....... The issue is not so much when open carry is allowed, but where and by whom..... I don't personally agree That a protest/demonstration is the most intelligent place, but
    But you can and should legislate to prevent the negative effects of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLockedLoop View Post
    I'm not aware that anyone says there's no such thing as an assault rifle.
    the term was invented by a news writer seeking sensationalism and to frighten people
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Phillip has it right, sort of. I consider "assault weapon" to be a matter of cosmetics, ie something that has military looking cosmetics but is actually a rifle with a semi-automatic action capable of firing one round with each pull of the trigger. Such actions are common in rifles, shotguns and hand guns which don't have the cosmetics, and hence don't raise quite so much ire.

I don't know any current military that uses a semi-automatic action in their main infantry rifle. True military rifles these days are select fire, meaning they can fire both semi and full auto. That said, a very common carbine of the Viet Cong was the SKS, which was(is) semi-auto. It's main virtues were twofold:they were cheap to make, and you could wrap them in canvas, bury them for a year, dig 'em up, throw a little oil at them, and they'd function. Not bad virtues for a guerrilla force!

That's my take on the semantic confusion around the term assault weapon. As to the open carry issue... The U.S. state of Vermont has always had open carry, yet has low gun violence rates, probably because it's a largely rural state with a long tradition of gun culture and hunting. Carrying open in a demonstration, by any yahoo group, is clearly an act of intimidation. What to do about it? I imagine this would take the amendment of laws(always a hot button) maintaining current carry laws but restricting them in permitted, large demonstrations.
    So many questions, so little time.

how is this a good idea
    It isn't. But the government and police will not defend the citizens' right to peaceably assemble, something the Antifa bunch has figured out.

So long as the authorities fail to support and defend the Constitutional rights of citizens, you will see more and more guns.

Nice deflection.
    Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    Phillip has it right, sort of. I consider "assault weapon" to be a matter of cosmetics, ie something that has military looking cosmetics but is actually a rifle with a semi-automatic action capable of firing one round with each pull of the trigger. Such actions are common in rifles, shotguns and hand guns which don't have the cosmetics, and hence don't raise quite so much ire.

I don't know any current military that uses a semi-automatic action in their main infantry rifle. True military rifles these days are select fire, meaning they can fire both semi and full auto. That said, a very common carbine of the Viet Cong was the SKS, which was(is) semi-auto. It's main virtues were twofold:they were cheap to make, and you could wrap them in canvas, bury them for a year, dig 'em up, throw a little oil at them, and they'd function. Not bad virtues for a guerrilla force!

That's my take on the semantic confusion around the term assault weapon. As to the open carry issue... The U.S. state of Vermont has always had open carry, yet has low gun violence rates, probably because it's a largely rural state with a long tradition of gun culture and hunting. Carrying open in a demonstration, by any yahoo group, is clearly an act of intimidation. What to do about it? I imagine this would take the amendment of laws(always a hot button) maintaining current carry laws but restricting them in permitted, large demonstrations.
    However this is the issue:
    Virginia is an Open-carry state, but how is it a good idea to permit guns in a situation like this?

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

It wasn't meant to be just a protest, these racists came to RUMBLE. the First AMENDMENT was just their excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Open carry is a really, REALLY dumb idea, no matter what type of firearm it is. It's not about protection, it's about making a statement. A dumb one.
    I agree 100%
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    the term was invented by a news writer seeking sensationalism and to frighten people
    I'm surprised at you, Phillip. M16s and AK-47s were designated assault rifles from their inception. They are light machine guns, and as such can fire full-auto.

Semi-auto versions which look the same are not machine guns.

End thread drift.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    It isn't. But the government and police will not defend the citizens' right to peaceably assemble, something the Antifa bunch has figured out.

So long as the authorities fail to support and defend the Constitutional rights of citizens, you will see more and more guns.
    As the situation in Charlottesville escalated it became more and more difficult to suppose that the Neo-Nazis, White supremacists, Confederate flag wavers, guys with baseball bats and brass knuckles, were there to peacefully assert their Constitutional rights. Were they being picked on by "the Antifa bunch"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Well, they are a damn good idea on an actual battlefield.

That's it.
    Agreed, but given the tendency of these affairs with participants that are already armed and dangerous, how long before a battlefield occurs, and anyway how do you define one.

"Clubs, ball bats, brass knuckles, thrown water bottles, tear gas, and milling crowds of Neo-nazis, KKK, and Black Lives and White Lives protestors. In the middle of an obvious riot men are seen carrying assault weapons…"

Well, Trump made it perfectly clear that both sides were to blame. Forgot th organizer who arranged the protest to begin with,. No mention of David Duke even.

I can see David Duke saying, look it's all the liberal's fault!

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    I can see David Duke saying, look it's all the liberal's fault!
    I wouldn't be surprised to see you he his company either.

As the situation in Charlottesville escalated it became more and more difficult to suppose that the Neo-Nazis, White supremacists, Confederate flag wavers, guys with baseball bats and brass knuckles, were there to peacefully assert their Constitutional rights. Were they being picked on by "the Antifa bunch"?
    You missed the helmets and riot shields. No not the ones worn/carried by police officers, the ones carried by those going equipped to break the law.

B******t!
    Nosce te ipsum

I guess they didn't need the guns...
    Just a Nazi with a car- i dead, 19 injured

https://apnews.com/b8560c3ebaac4deb9...a-city;-1-dead
    Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evil. (Albert Einstein, 1949)

I wouldn't be surprised to see you he his company either.
    Really? Please don't make believe your that dumb Jack please!

From what I can deduce, the main reasoning used or implied for the open carry, armed civilian ethos is to be prepared to take the law into ones own hands should the occasion arise where you "perceive" the Government is against you.
    In a situation like what just happened in Charlottesville, consider for a few moments what could happen in the aftermath of a car ramming a large group of armed open carry individuals..........??

It would only take one shot for all hell to break loose.
    What a great idea open carry at a civillian protest is!!!! When these protests start to push boundaries it will only be a matter of time.......the writing is on the wall......
    Last edited by Hallam; 08-12-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

There's an alternate explanation. The obvious name for these weapons is D!ckhead Gun....but newsreaders cant say that.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLockedLoop View Post
    I'm surprised at you, Phillip. M16s and AK-47s were designated assault rifles from their inception. They are light machine guns, and as such can fire full-auto.

Semi-auto versions which look the same are not machine guns.

End thread drift.
    Those are also not available to the general public without jumping through
    some major hoops...... Ask Pless about what is involved to legally own one.

Those are also not available to the general public without jumping through
    some major hoops...... Ask Pless about what is involved to legally own one.
    BE AFDRAID... be VERY AFRAID
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Not a news writer.

Who first coined the term assault rifle?

Adolf Hitler

The term assault rifle is generally attributed to Adolf Hitler, who for propaganda purposes used the German word "Sturmgewehr" (which translates to "storm rifle" or "assault rifle"), as the new name for the MP43, subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44 or StG 44.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Couldn't they just play dress up?

Last edited by LeeG; 08-12-2017 at 10:36 PM.

BE AFDRAID... be VERY AFRAID
    If you aren't mildly afraid of what's happened in Virginia, you're as daft as the POTUS.

If you don't figure that open carry of semi-auto rifles at the rally was intended to intimidate, you're even more daft.

Wake the F up, Phillip. This is your country with actual Nazis chanting "blood and soil", and your actual President refusing to name White Supremacists as White Supremacists.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I'm not going to say there are no such things as assault weapons, but assault weapons are full-automatic fire, and those civilians aren't carrying them, those are semi-autos.

As for the reason for ownership, well, instead of them defending those racists, instead picture a government trying to take away their rights or marshal them into detainment camps. Which is exactly what happened in 1967, when African American males started carrying weapons around Oakland CA in what would now be called "Cop Watches", watching for abuse, ready to defend themselves. The state responded by quickly passing the Mulford Act, prohibiting public carry of firearms. Who signed it into law? Ronald Reagan. See, it's fine when white people carry guns, but when black folks do it, the government gets upset in a hurry. Here's some reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    I'm not going to say there are no such things as assault weapons, but assault weapons are full-automatic fire, and those civilians aren't carrying them, those are semi-autos.

As for the reason for ownership, well, instead of them defending those racists, instead picture a government trying to take away their rights or marshal them into detainment camps. Which is exactly what happened in 1967, when African American males started carrying weapons around Oakland CA in what would now be called "Cop Watches", watching for abuse, ready to defend themselves. The state responded by quickly passing the Mulford Act, prohibiting public carry of firearms. Who signed it into law? Ronald Reagan. See, it's fine when white people carry guns, but when black folks do it, the government gets upset in a hurry. Here's some reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

That was 50 years ago.........

That was 50 years ago.........
    What's your point? Other than Reagan flip-flopping once he ran for president?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.