Thread: Carbon fiber paddle

Default Carbon fiber paddle

I have progressed from aluminum, to an adjustable fiberglass, which failed at the adjustment last week. Last night I went out with a new non adjustable carbon fiber. So light, so much flex. It requires a stroke adjustment otherwise the stored energy snaps off the back of the stroke when the blade is leaving the water. Need to find some plans to do one in wood over the winter. I feel like a sinner. I enjoy it so much.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Default Re: Carbon fiber paddle

What make and model? The lightest Werners have a warning that they can't be used in surf or be subjected to a hard brace. I've seen a couple break.

What type of wooden paddle? I have a REAL problem with paddles. I can't even paddle anymore, but I still make them, because it's so fun.

Now I'm on oars, though, because I've found I can row a bit without suffering too much.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Oh, yes. More about this plastic (no insult intended. It's an bike,industry joke. Bikes are made from: metal, old cans, or plastic.) paddle? What's it look like? I'm really curious. Some of them are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    What make and model? The lightest Werners have a warning that they can't be used in surf or be subjected to a hard brace. I've seen a couple break.
    Nightmare! Carbon splinters are very difficult to remove. The slipperiness combined with the barbiness. And the irritation is about like fir ply slivers.

Peace,
    Robert

GUSU paddle, low end for cf. I catch some bumps from wake boats but no surfing here. Hopefully it lasts longer than two years. I got the gf a carbon fiber travel paddle with an Isle board two years ago and it is still holding up.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Nightmare! Carbon splinters are very difficult to remove. The slipperiness combined with the barbiness. And the irritation is about like fir ply slivers.

Peace,
    Robert
    No kidding, the devils fiber.

I've progressed to carbon fiber instruments. Love my Rainsong and my little Emerald Amicus 12!

What are you doing about it?

We have two carbon Werners and two fiberglass Werners which sit in bags in the basement, and I still have a genuine Tony Prijon wooden whitewater slalom paddle up in the attic. For about the last five years though, my wife and I have been using Greenland paddles which I made from Home Depot cedar 2x4s. She still uses one of the Werners when paddling the sit-on-top, but for the real kayaks, both the single sea kayaks and the double, we use the Greenlands and aren't going back. They're a much more intuitive tool for touring, and their centered weight distribution really does make euro-paddles (even carbon ones) feel like a stick with two weights stuck on its ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    We have two carbon Werners and two fiberglass Werners which sit in bags in the basement, and I still have a genuine Tony Prijon wooden whitewater slalom paddle up in the attic. For about the last five years though, my wife and I have been using Greenland paddles which I made from Home Depot cedar 2x4s. She still uses one of the Werners when paddling the sit-on-top, but for the real kayaks, both the single sea kayaks and the double, we use the Greenlands and aren't going back. They're a much more intuitive tool for touring, and their centered weight distribution really does make euro-paddles (even carbon ones) feel like a stick with two weights stuck on its ends.

Same same here. We use paddles sized to us, but nobody here uses Euro style paddles, anymore. I even made a nice double bladed kayak paddle for the pirogue rebuild, and nobody touched it. The paddle literally went an entire year of simply being moved out of the way. Everyone prefers their Greenland style paddles.

Mine is Doug Fir, wife's is sequoia, and the kids' are cedar. The spare and the single bladed, extra-long stand up,pirogue paddle are both sequoia.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. I'm working on some interpretation of currach oars, to get the same feel,from my oar blades as my paddles. Why not?

Plans? Sounds like you have (at least) two models in hand, as it were.
    Good luck

I have a pair of wooden kayak paddles similar to this one but made by Cole in Australia about 30 years ago. Similarly a bent shaft canoe paddle I made myself. I do not like plastic/fg paddles because of the flex, and because you cannot read the water as well when using them.

My 'Sniveler's Shoulder' hasn't been tolerant of a stiff factory made(aka The Club) kayak paddle for several years.
    Canoe paddles aren't as bad,but wide blades make me want Advil (or alcohol)
    Carbon fibre gives me the creeps since an aquaintance had to scrap a $6k bike after it fell over and cracked the frame.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I have a pair of wooden kayak paddles similar to this one but made by Cole in Australia about 30 years ago. Similarly a bent shaft canoe paddle I made myself. I do not like plastic/fg paddles because of the flex, and because you cannot read the water as well when using them.

We have one of those at the shop, looks just like that

I had at one stage a pair of sprint paddles made by Liminat, who it seems may still be making them.

My bent shaft paddle looks like this, but with an asymetric squarer base which helps avoid swapping sides. It's about 5'6 but not a stand up paddle.
    https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/...paddles?page=1

Todd, ya beat me to it. I don't paddle these days but others swear by the narrow native paddles, smaller blades are light and less pull so easy on the wrist, you don't need the big area of a whitewater paddle for cruising, you're in "high gear". Do you prefer the grain quarter-sawn (perpendicular to the blade) or flat-sawn (in line with the blade)?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I'd rather have it quarter-sawn, but at Home Depot one can't always be terribly picky. Can't beat the price though. If I feel like splurging, I buy a 2x6, instead of a 2x4 so that I can move the pattern around a bit for the best wood. I paddled feathered euro-paddles for 40 years - Prijons, Kobers, Iliads and even a lovely pair of Beran sprint paddles with hollow shafts, as well as a couple different models of Werners before trying the Greenland. If you learn to use it properly, you learn to use the whole paddle, moving your hands from one end all the way to the other at times for certain maneuvers and it becomes very natural to do so - elbows in, most of the time bent about 90 degrees, and using some torso rotation rather than just arm strength.

The storm version, with two long thin blades and a short loom of about 8" between them is also pretty interesting. It is used more like a canoe paddle, grip-wise, with one end of the blade acting as a grip while the "lower" hand grips the loom and the paddle is passed back and forth from side to side. It yields a dramatic decrease in windage for the end which isn't in the water when it's blowing out there. Easier to store on deck as a spare as well.

These are mine. The one with the rally long square blades is new and just for fun I left the blades really long and square. I like it.

This one is curvy in two planes. Nobody likes using this one much. And not because it's very heavy, either. It is actually some crazy light pine.

Oh well. Dumb pictures of what I mentioned.

Peace,
    Robert

I had one once, a Schaeffer Wildwasser S whitewater slalom euro paddle, which had cupped spoon blades in two directions. It was a lovely piece of woodworking, but drove me and everybody else crazy. When you sliced it through the water sideways, like for rolling and some bracing maneuvers, it wanted to carve a circle - whether that's what you wanted it to do or not. Seriously unruly at times when you needed it to be very predictable.

I prefer my symmetric ,flat Greenland paddle to the one with a bit of a bend.

It works equally well it both directions and doesn't slurp or chatter unless you're driving too hard.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.