Thread: Wireless adaptor

Default Wireless adaptor

I just discovered that I have access to quite a bit of video through my Amazon Prime. I could watch this stuff on the computer but the screen is not all that large and the sound is not all that good.

I guess the time has come to leap forward in the technology department.

I have never bothered hooking the tv to my LAN. My LAN is a mishmash of either net cables and wireless. I do have one giant cable i installed years ago when my son was lurking in the basement and that could be hooked up to the TV but that would involve drilling a fair sized hole in the floor of the family room. It seems to me that it might be a plan to hook up to the wireless and skip the cable.

I took a quick look at what is available using Google and these adaptors seem to be all over the place price wise. I am sure someone here knows a lot more about this stuff than I do can likely recommend an adaptor that will be suitable.

Also, I assume the adaptor should go on the surround sound rather than the tv since that is where I select the source.

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Wireless adaptor

Sounds like a job for an Amazon Fire TV Stick. As long as both your TV and AV unit are HDCP compliant, it should be a simple plug and play operation.

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-.../dp/B00ZV9RDKK
    Nosce te ipsum

Might I ask about this "surround system"? Is this an A/V Receiver, soundbar, or something else?

Also, does it have an unused Ethernet, HDMI, USB, or S/PDIF port?

We have a fire stick. Plug it into an HDMI port, power it via USB and you're off.
    Couldnt be easier.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    Might I ask about this "surround system"? Is this an A/V Receiver, soundbar, or something else?

Also, does it have an unused Ethernet, HDMI, USB, or S/PDIF port?
    I guess it is a receiver and you select your signal source using it. TV, DVD, games etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    I guess it is a receiver and you select your signal source using it. TV, DVD, games etc.
    Ok. Does it have any open connections such as an HDMI, USB, or Ethernet? At some point, it is worth determining if this is an A/V Receiver or a "Set Top Box" provided by your cable/sat company.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    Ok. Does it have any open connections such as an HDMI, USB, or Ethernet? At some point, it is worth determining if this is an A/V Receiver or a "Set Top Box" provided by your cable/sat company.

It is a Pioneer AV receiver model VSX 324. It has all of the above connections.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    It is a Pioneer AV receiver model VSX 324. It has all of the above connections.
    Excellent. If you have a reliable wifi connection at the equipment location, the Amazon Fire or a Roku stick should be great choices. Fire is fairly "Amazon-centric" which can be good or bad, whereas Roku is a bit less partisan and offers many well designed, high performing apps, including ones for Netflix & Amazon. Strangely, however, the Roku Spotify app has become all but useless.

If that wifi connection is dodgy though, I would recommend one of the Roku pod players (no need to go higher than Premier ($69) or Premier+ ($89). These can be connected via Ethernet to a subsidiary router located next to your equipment and bridged to your main router. This should give you a very robust wireless connection that rarely if ever drops out or buffers.