Thread: GPS senders for finding stolen property ?

Default GPS senders for finding stolen property ?

My SIL says these things work for finding your bicycle if it's stolen, so it seems it should work to recover stolen boats ?

Does anyone have experience of them ? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391797266643

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: GPS senders for finding stolen property ?

It seems so easy for someone to steal a small boat then how would we ever find it ? Would this work?
    Grateful Dead

I'm not sure the model illustrated has much range.
    One of our timber merchants had a powerful one installed on one of their loan trailers that hadnt been returned. It was eventually found miles away surrounded by lots of other stolen property.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Thanks Grant, that just the kind of advice I need ! That one is likely good for helping you find a car in a car park .
    Grateful Dead

This looks more like real the thing. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3G-GPS-Tr...8AAOSwRXRZRm~t
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 08-12-2017 at 02:22 AM.
    Grateful Dead

Hold off for a while. The "Internet of Things" ("IoT") is in its infancy. Give it a year and you won't recognize it at the rate they are going. Those key fobs are rather primitive, compared to what the industry has in the pipeline. I'm told India is going to be embedding chips the size of a postage stamp in the streets. When a car containing a chip-reader parks on top of the chip, the chip is activated and the cost of parking is automatically charged to the car-owner's credit card account. We already have something similar in California. The "Fastrak" device is a small square plastic device about four inches square by about 3/8" thick. It has no batteries. You place it on your dash with adhesive Velcro strips. When you drive through a "Fastrak" equipped bridge toll station, or into a freeway toll lane or parking garage, the toll or the parking fee is automatically charged to your credit card. The Golden Gate Bridge doesn't even accept cash payment of tolls at the toll plaza anymore. The use of the device is voluntary, but if you don't use it, your license plate is read by optical scanners as you go through the toll booth and they send you a bill for a considerably higher toll fee. If you don't pay it, you won't get your car reregistered the next time around without paying what you owe and a hefty late payment penalty. Most new vehicles sold now already have tracking devices connected to the owner's smart phone. It would be simple enough to install one of these in a boat. Soon, this "IoT" technology will be ubiquitous. They are now starting to install passive locator chips in cargo containers and even pallets, not only for theft prevention, but also for inventory and traffic control. And, of course, getting your child "chipped" is technologically feasible today, but is getting some "pushback," as they say!

Ive been looking at them for my rental cars and earthmoving gear.

The small ones rely on a bluetooth signal to your phone. The smarter systems like TrackR set up a network of users, so that if anyone who has the app on their phone is within range of your TrackR, then its location gets sent to your phone via the network. But you need a critical mass of users in your area for it to work.

The more capable type has a sim card which obviously has much greater independant range, it send a signal to the mobile phone network. There doesnt seem to be enough info in the ebay ads. You can get a sim card with a cheap data plan which doesnt require monthly renewal. But I think, not sure, that you also have to subscribe to the sellers web hosting service. Thats the bit I havent quite been able to work out.

I saw a post on facebook the other day where someone found a tracking device hidden on his motorbike-the theory was that thieves were tracking the bike waitinng for an opportunity to steal it. I suggested the owner add a tracker of his own, set a trap.

Im wondering about buying a few old iphones, hide them in my cars and diggers with a charger hard wired, and just trigger find my iphone if I need to track them.

Thanks Bob and Phil. I happily confess almost complete ignorance when it comes to phones and their capabilities .... but I have a trailer boat and 2 motorcycles that could easily be stolen so some form of tracker sounds a good idea.

Someone from the Forum recently had a little stripper canoe stolen and some form of tracking device would have been a godsend !

I can certainly see you interest with your machinery Phil, so easily stolen and no Vin or rego .
    Grateful Dead

Hi Peter,

The one's I've looked at are mainly for Cars and things which have a reliable 12 volt power source, I have seen some systems integrated into the engine management etc as well. Will see if I can dig something up again. Do you need a standalone self powered system or does your little boat have a power source?

I found this, but it's pretty expensive $950:

https://www.camtek.net.au/index.php/...4be5/offset/0?

For most of the better GPS tracking device type things with a decent range they run off the Cell Phone network so you need to have a SIM card for them. The smaller ones like that and the NutTag run off Bluetooth so if you are close to the device, like your keys it can help you find them, but if you are a few blocks away they won't help.

Simon
    Last edited by simonmags; 08-14-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added content
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

A stable 12volt supply could be a problem on my little sailing boat .... but perhaps sufficient reason to set it up.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Hold off for a while. The "Internet of Things" ("IoT") is in its infancy. Give it a year and you won't recognize it at the rate they are going. Those key fobs are rather primitive, compared to what the industry has in the pipeline. I'm told India is going to be embedding chips the size of a postage stamp in the streets. When a car containing a chip-reader parks on top of the chip, the chip is activated and the cost of parking is automatically charged to the car-owner's credit card account. We already have something similar in California. The "Fastrak" device is a small square plastic device about four inches square by about 3/8" thick. It has no batteries. You place it on your dash with adhesive Velcro strips. When you drive through a "Fastrak" equipped bridge toll station, or into a freeway toll lane or parking garage, the toll or the parking fee is automatically charged to your credit card. The Golden Gate Bridge doesn't even accept cash payment of tolls at the toll plaza anymore. The use of the device is voluntary, but if you don't use it, your license plate is read by optical scanners as you go through the toll booth and they send you a bill for a considerably higher toll fee. If you don't pay it, you won't get your car reregistered the next time around without paying what you owe and a hefty late payment penalty. Most new vehicles sold now already have tracking devices connected to the owner's smart phone. It would be simple enough to install one of these in a boat. Soon, this "IoT" technology will be ubiquitous. They are now starting to install passive locator chips in cargo containers and even pallets, not only for theft prevention, but also for inventory and traffic control. And, of course, getting your child "chipped" is technologically feasible today, but is getting some "pushback," as they say!
    My wife has a new car that has a locator deal synced to her phone. It records the gps blip of where you parked, so you can find your car.
    We've also had a system called LoJack here for a while (we, not us, but we the people) that is a gps (I think) based tracking unit for cars to help recover them when stolen.

One thing that can be done now is to place an rfid chip IN the boat, like they do pets. Virtually indisputable proof of ownership, when found. Maybe.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Thanks Bob and Phil. I happily confess almost complete ignorance when it comes to phones and their capabilities .... but I have a trailer boat and 2 motorcycles that could easily be stolen so some form of tracker sounds a good idea.

Someone from the Forum recently had a little stripper canoe stolen and some form of tracking device would have been a godsend !

I can certainly see you interest with your machinery Phil, so easily stolen and no Vin or rego .
    We had a boat stolen. Out little pirogue was taken by some guys. They were caught in possession of it by the Ranger, but he let them go because they claimed to have found it drifting. It somehow got from the rack of my car to the lake on its own...
    Anyway, we were lucky to get it back, even broken. Nope, I couldn't press charges on that either, because they may have found it broken.

Peace,
    Robert

"... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Any of these things applicable to finding a man overboard?

The Whistle (above) may be applicable. It is waterproof.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    My wife has a new car that has a locator deal synced to her phone. It records the gps blip of where you parked, so you can find your car.
    We've also had a system called LoJack here for a while (we, not us, but we the people) that is a gps (I think) based tracking unit for cars to help recover them when stolen.

One thing that can be done now is to place an rfid chip IN the boat, like they do pets. Virtually indisputable proof of ownership, when found. Maybe.

Peace,
    Robert
    General Motors' "On Star" system has this feature. I can GPS-locate my 2015 GMC pickup within feet from my iPhone. I can lock and unlock, open windows, set off the emergency alarm, and start the engine from anywhere all through internet connectivity. Who knows how much that added to the price of the truck!

Orwellian.
    Last edited by capefox; 08-14-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    That looks good, battery life would be the only problem .....remembering to charge the thing and put it back on th boat or bike.
    Grateful Dead

One of our major shipping ports is building an "inland notional port", a place where shiploads are accumulated then railed onto the dock some 120 miles away. Works both ways and is needed because the volume for that port has exceeded the land space available. The rumour is that the inland port will be fully computer controlled, no drivers in the container carriers that move the stuff around, containers and shipping flats will be "chipped" as they come in through the gate and thats the last time human hands will touch them.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Phil Y s right about the kit in the OT...limited range even only a few metres....useful if you can't find something that's close anyway, wallet, keys down the back of the sofá etcetc, but the ad's claim for pet location, stolen bikes etc is not realistic....A friend had her Ipad stolen and used the inbuilt tracking to trace it to an apartment block 200kms from where it was stolen, but the police couldn't do anything as there were too many addresses...but it was somewhere in the building..... now the little jobs might be able to narrow it down to a few feet if you can track the stolen item to a few metres as above... but again, getting the law to enter on suspicion that your property might be inside is a long shot. even a gps locator will only be good if your boat/bike is out in the open ....
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

Id like a thing about the size of half a postage stamp, 3mm thick max, that can emit a GPS signal, independently powered. Could have a weak radioactive cell in it for power, which could make it run for quite some time. I have a watch that illuminates the dial using one.

This is idea is mostly to conceal in power tools, where larger units are impossible to stuff inside.

I just want something for my boat ( on it's trailer) and my motorbike, an easy target for tea leaves .
    Grateful Dead

Grant, that looks good.... and cheap. I can't see anything on range, but that should be anywhere shouldn't it ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Grant, that looks good.... and cheap. I can't see anything on range, but that should be anywhere shouldn't it ?
    I think so. At that price I would buy it , in fact I'll probably get one for another motorbike I've bought.
    That site has a huge range of stuff for sale from clothing to electronic goods to motorcycle parts etc. etc. Cheap postage too if you dont mind it taking a couple of weeks. It is well worth trawling through to see what's there. The stuff I've bought has been fine in terms of quality.
    Last edited by Stiletto; 08-19-2017 at 07:33 AM.