Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: D'oh!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default D'oh!


    Oops. I meant dough!

    Peace,
    Robert

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    S.W. Florida
    Posts
    1,744

    Default Re: D'oh!

    You're going to need a bigger cup.

    .
    .

    “What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”


    ~~~ Henry David Thoreau

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    41,747

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Gotta start somewhere

  4. #4

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Pizza or bread?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    Pizza or bread?
    Bread.

    A baguette type dough, but we always bake braids.

    My kingdom for a good bread oven.

    Peace,
    Robert

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    41,747

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Bread.

    A baguette type dough, but we always bake braids.

    My kingdom for a good bread oven.

    Peace,
    Robert
    How about this?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    How about this?

    Well, I suppose I could manage.

    Lovely.

    Peace,
    Robert

  8. #8

    Default Re: D'oh!

    This is probably my favorite recipe for homemade bread also makes a good pizza for

    http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/298...ciabatta-bread

    The site is worth a look as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    25,003

    Default Re: D'oh!

    With that dough I could make some very tasty pasta fritta.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

    RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    This is probably my favorite recipe for homemade bread also makes a good pizza for

    http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/298...ciabatta-bread

    The site is worth a look as well.
    In the bowl:
    1 1/2 scant cups warm water
    1 tsp yeast
    3 1/2 C flour
    2 tsp salt

    Peace,
    Robert

  11. #11

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    In the bowl:
    1 1/2 scant cups warm water
    1 tsp yeast
    3 1/2 C flour
    2 tsp salt

    Peace,
    Robert
    Thank you good sir, next cool day.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    Thank you good sir, next cool day.
    The longer and cooler the first proof, the better. Also, double proofing, or even triple, only enhances the flavor.
    The final proof after shaping is generally only a few hours.

    I'm stuck with a cool oven (not,commercial, that is), so I've developed a technique borrowed a bit from Julia and others.
    First, I fill a muffin tin with water, and it goes on the bottom rack when I begin preheat. 450 f.
    Right before the bread goes in (middle rack, on plain, undusted parchment paper) I spray water in to make a little steam.
    Another spritz at the halfway mark, 11 minutes, and that helps.

    The crust isn't as good as a really hot oven, but the water helps. I think the braid shape helps, too. More,surface are with less mass per lump, as it were, than a straight, slashed lump. That's my theory, anyway.

    Peace,
    Robert

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    7,396

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    In the bowl:
    1 1/2 scant cups warm water
    1 tsp yeast
    3 1/2 C flour
    2 tsp salt

    Peace,
    Robert
    Rob, what gets the yeast going? My recipe is very similar except I sugar the water and add the yeast to it.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    S.W. Florida
    Posts
    1,744

    Default Re: D'oh!

    If you start making pastries, will you change your name to Danish Rob?


    .
    .

    “What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”


    ~~~ Henry David Thoreau

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Rob, what gets the yeast going? My recipe is very similar except I sugar the water and add the yeast to it.
    I have always wondered, really. I honestly don't know, BUT...

    All the bread wizards do a dough like this with no sugar. I got the recipe from Mark Bittman, It Paul Hollywood uses a similar recipe. The dough is ostensibly a baguette dough, which may account for the lack of sugar.

    The process is to yeast a He warm water while the salt and flour get measured and blended. The yeast gets down. I know not how, but they do. Pour the stinky water in and let them go.

    Peace,
    Robert

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default


    You know, pecan rolls could just as easily have been a tea ring. Sort of pastry type things, eh?
    Can't change my name, though, as it is the polymathic ambitions that lend credence to the title.

    Peace,
    Robert

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default


    This, was the first proof. As this is Bread For An Occasion, I'm doing a double proof, which intensifies the flavor of all the yeast waste.

    Peace,
    Robert

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    41,747

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Rob, what gets the yeast going? My recipe is very similar except I sugar the water and add the yeast to it.
    If in a hurry add sugar otherwise the flour provides it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    If in a hurry add sugar otherwise the flour provides it.
    Is it the carbs in the flour itself, do you know, Lee?

    I really don't know, myself, but that would be my guess.

    Peace,
    Chef-Boy-Am-I-Dumb

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    41,747

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Is it the carbs in the flour itself, do you know, Lee?

    I really don't know, myself, but that would be my guess.

    Peace,
    Chef-Boy-Am-I-Dumb
    Sugar is a simple carb, I don't know the nutrient mix in flour but I'm guessing there's a percentage of simple to complex carbs for yeasties to live on.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Sugar is a simple carb, I don't know the nutrient mix in flour but I'm guessing there's a percentage of simple to complex carbs for yeasties to live on.
    Yeah, that's my thinking. The sugar is like a turbo boost.

    Loaf breads I use sugar in. When I do them. Usually it's this or bannock bread. Or tortillas.

    Peace,
    Robert

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    8,371

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

    You know, pecan rolls could just as easily have been a tea ring. Sort of pastry type things, eh?
    Can't change my name, though, as it is the polymathic ambitions that lend credence to the title.

    Peace,
    Robert
    I'll bring the coffee. After one bun - I'll scout a place in the shade to nap for the afternoon.
    The world's big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I'll bring the coffee. After one bun - I'll scout a place in the shade to nap for the afternoon.
    It's the finely diced raisins mixed into the cinnamon/sugar combo rolled into the middle that really give them that extra something.
    The pecans make it food, so you can eat two or three. You need ballast to nap properly in the hammock under the persimmons, after all, which is the only dog sniff proof napping spot left.

    Peace,
    Eagerly Awaiting Oven Season Proper (102f is NOT oven season)

    P.S. It MAY also be the wildflower honey in the pecan glaze. Wildflower honey is the best, besides, surprisingly, almond honey, which is going away as everyone plants more and more self pollinators...)

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    41,747

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Yeah, that's my thinking. The sugar is like a turbo boost.

    Loaf breads I use sugar in. When I do them. Usually it's this or bannock bread. Or tortillas.

    Peace,
    Robert
    Found something

    https://www.thespruce.com/bread-maki...st-faq-1447197

    Yeast eats sugar, glucose to be specific. If there is no glucose around but there are other sugars, starches or alcohols, yeast creates machines (enzymes) to convert these into glucose.


    The yeast carries information in its DNA for dozens of machines specific to many food sources.

    Flour has a lot of starch in it, which is made of long chains of sugar molecules. Flour carries its own enzymes that work on the starches and chop them into simple sugars. This happens after the flour has been rehydrated with water or other liquids. Then the yeast uses the sugars for energy.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Found something

    https://www.thespruce.com/bread-maki...st-faq-1447197

    Yeast eats sugar, glucose to be specific. If there is no glucose around but there are other sugars, starches or alcohols, yeast creates machines (enzymes) to convert these into glucose.


    The yeast carries information in its DNA for dozens of machines specific to many food sources.

    Flour has a lot of starch in it, which is made of long chains of sugar molecules. Flour carries its own enzymes that work on the starches and chop them into simple sugars. This happens after the flour has been rehydrated with water or other liquids. Then the yeast uses the sugars for energy.
    That is AWESOME! Thanks, Yo.

    Although... Yeast seem to be pretty smart and well equipped, actually, but they are dumb enough to just consume themselves to death...

    Hmmm.

    Peace,
    Am I A Yeast?

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    7,396

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Yep, thanks LeeG!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default


    What are you doing in there? Smells heavenly.
    This super, duper, extra special batch is going for a third proof.
    This is the second.
    It smells so breadtastic. The oven is where I proof during summer, and the whole thing is just a punch in the face when you open.
    These fools have been working!

    Peace,
    Robert

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default


    Done!

    Peace,
    Robert

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    8,371

    Default Re: D'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

    Done!

    Peace,
    Robert
    Duudle bread!
    The world's big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •