Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desparate. Your advice needed.

Default Re: Desparate. Your advice needed.

Ya Dumazz... you had to go 'n retire, dincha? I - being evesomuchsmarter - can always beg off by saying that I've made promises to clients and such. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Or... here's my other go-to.

And, trust me, this one is bulletproof if your sweetie has any heart at all.

You can get cancer. The treatments will danged near kill ya, even if the cancer don't. And at our age... recovery is all too bloody glacial.

All you have to do is say, "Gosh, I'd love to, but I'm just not feeling all that perky". Next thing you know it'll be wall to wall chicken soup, footrubs, and ice cream... and all thoughts of chores will be forgotten.

Genius. Genius, I tell ya.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Or... here's my other go-to.

And, trust me, this one is bulletproof if your sweetie has any heart at all.

You can get cancer. The treatments will danged near kill ya, even if the cancer don't. And at our age... recovery is all too bloody glacial.

All you have to do is say, "Gosh, I'd love to, but I'm just not feeling all that perky". Next thing you know it'll be wall to wall chicken soup, footrubs, and ice cream... and all thoughts of chores will be forgotten.

Genius. Genius, I tell ya.
    Well, I do have a hernia that needs to get fixed this fall. Maybe I'll beg hardship.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

A hernia? No, no, no.

She knows as well as you do that a RealMan (like Glen, say... or Palladin) would just suck it up and work thru such a minor ailment. It's gotta be the big C... or this excuse will never fly. I'm speaking from experience here... trust me. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just tell her you'll paint the wall after she's moved everything out of the room.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Just tell her you'll paint the wall after she's moved everything out of the room.
    This answer, being from the correct gender, is the way to go.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

We used water based anti fouling paint on a humid weekend and came back to check on it later in the day and most of it was on the floor... What a mess.
    I wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    A hernia? No, no, no.

She knows as well as you do that a RealMan (like Glen, say... or Palladin) would just suck it up and work thru such a minor ailment. It's gotta be the big C... or this excuse will never fly. I'm speaking from experience here... trust me. <G>
    The hernia is the best I've got right now. The Big C has visited our home and I can't even joke about that. A good outcome, but a taboo subject around here.

I have been down and out with a bad case of bronchitis for the past ten days but that's on the mend and she knows it. I can't fake the cough anymore. "That ain't no real cough, you slacker, get back to work!", she says.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    The hernia is the best I've got right now. The Big C has visited our home and I can't even joke about that. A good outcome, but a taboo subject around here.

I have been down and out with a bad case of bronchitis for the past ten days but that's on the mend and she knows it. I can't fake the cough anymore. "That ain't no real cough, you slacker, get back to work!", she says.
    I completely understand. For myself... I HAVE TO joke about it... or I'm liable to start crying.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Paint bomb Rich, mask the windows, kaboom!, job done.

Go fishing, rowing and sailing. Forgiveness is easier to seek, than permission! And you can always point out what a wasted investment the launch is, if she doesn't get used.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I once hung the wallpaper upside down - and have not been allowed to use wallpaper since.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    I once hung the wallpaper upside down - and have not been allowed to use wallpaper since.
    With some of the patterns, that's an easy mistake. Or... was it a mistake?

I've been painting all morning. She's told me if I behave myself, she'll take me to see Dunkirk later this afternoon and then dinner out. Right now, she's sanding down an old end table that she wants to paint.

Got some paint on the walls, so...