Thread: Ol' Gooberhead - idjits we have worked with

Default Ol' Gooberhead - idjits we have worked with

Inspired by oz's story of Ol' Gooberhead, and dedicated to all the knuckleheads we have worked with. My first experience with Ol' Gooberhead follows --

After two years in a 'Cabinetmaking and Furniture Design' program in Eugene, I gradumacated... and began a tour of the state, looking for likely places to live. And a job. Settled on a small shop in Merlin (Southern Oregon), because I really liked the old German guy who owned it. Didn't turn out like I expected. Turns out the old guy and a helper were almost always gone. Measuring, selling, or installing. Which left me working in the shop with two brothers. One was the foreman, the other was Ol' Gooberhead.

OG delighted in hazing the new kid.

Having grown up around rednecks, I wasn't surprised, and was fine with a bit of harassment. I gave as good as I got, kept my sense of humor, and even managed to avoid the booby-traps.

But OG didn't like that he couldn't get under my skin. So, rather than tapering off - he escalated. He took to sneaking up behind me and doing something loud. I told him, nicely enough, that he'd had his fun, was going too far - creating safety issues, and I was done. He wasn't listening. A couple for times more, and I was getting pissed. Then he slepped a flat stick down hard next to me as I was sanding. Without thinking, I spun, stick in hand, and smacked him across the ribs. He went down howling. His older brother came charging over demanding to know why I'd smacked his brother. I said he knew why, had seen it coming, and had refused to - as foreman - to intervene.

When he old guy heard the story at the end of the day - he chuckled, and told OG, "You do know you brought this on yourself? I wondered how long it would take". The brothers wanted me fired immediately. The German said no way. I said I'd be happy to work with them, but no more bs. OG never got over it, and sulked. The foreman got over it quickly, decided I was alright, and teased his little brother about getting bunted around the shop. He never let up, either, but at least it wasn't directed at me.

I bet some of you have your own Ol' Gooberhead stories...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Ol' Gooberhead - idjits we have worked with

Nobody but me & oz have worked with Ol' Gooberhead? I'm astonished.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Well, Ol' Gooberhead maybe not, but then there was Jimmy James, who earned that nickname the easy way.

Jimmy James makes Ol' Gooberhead look like a goldurn genius!

He flailed about and ran through the contingency budget for the entire job before he got the insulation started.

The day before he was to turn the jobsite over to me, he had the plumber put a trench down the center of the driveway. Why this trench was not done along with the rest of the site work, was a question I wanted to use a waterboard to find the answers to, because I had literal tons of materials that needed to move into that building, and a sea of mud to cross to get there.

I may have mentioned that I am the world's only certified bubble-wrap insulation installer.

True story.

Jimmy James was still 'in charge' of the site, he was just not allowed to set foot on it, so when I gave him the materials takeoff for the bubble-wrap, it never occurred to me that he could mess that up, too.

He insisted that I give him a number of square feet, so I did.

It was about 250 SF.

Three days later, a bobtail semi pulled up in front of the house, and the driver had me sign for about 12 rolls of bubble wrap, 4' wide, and 250 feet long.

We were able to use 3 rolls.
    Rattling the teacups.

I do not have the time to really get started. Suffice to say look up our list of members of parliament.

I've worked with Goober and Gomer, at the same time.
    They made me look good to the boss.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Gomer and Goober were crack mechanics in Mayberry. They were chatty, and perhaps clumsy socially, but they fixed the cars, " fayster than a scalded cat runnin' from a an angery dawg."

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.