Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well it's been nice knowing y'all

Default Re: Well it's been nice knowing y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    The horrible, arrogant, unaware, selfish man is an evil war monger. He can/will start WWIII before the year is up.

Why can't anyone get him out of the office???
    And that's the nub. It seems to me that even if all the Russian stuff and the rest are eventually proven he still may survive in office.

Trump is stupid, arrogant, narcissistic, the list goes on.

That doesn't mean that North Korea is not a threat. They've threatened South Korea for decades, and most especially in recent years. Each regime is increasingly sociopathic. We could wait on the sidelines as long as they threatened only South Korea, and promising annihilation if they did. Once they can threaten the US with nuclear weapons, they are in a position to blackmail the US to get the terms they want, even though they are still weaker, because their sociopathic leader is willing to use nuclear weapons. I know, sounds just like Iraq. Here is why it is different, and should be treated different:

1) They actually have nuclear weapons. That has been verified with their nuclear testing. They also have a viable missile program.

2) Our goal should NOT be to invade North Korea. There is nothing there that we want, and China has said they will defend North Korea if we start things. China does not want the US or South Korea on their border. What our goal should be is, singly, to neutralize any weapon system that threatens the US or our allies. No invasion. They can solve their own internal problems, unless they surrender, in which case the US and China will be generous in helping them produce more food and other things for their people. No invasion by the US or South Korea. Not only for strategic reasons, throwing North Koreans under the South Korean government would be cruel; South Korea is not capitalist, they are hyper-capitalist, the entire economy is controlled by a few wealthy families, and their value system is all screwed up, they spend tons of money on plastic surgery to make their faces look more western.

3) Battle plan: a) Destroy all their subs. b) Simultaneously destroy all their missile launch sites. c) Prior to attack determine as best as possible, repositories for nuclear weapons; either destroy by air, or if well shielded and underground, drop in special teams, penetrate and deposit briefcase nuke, set, leave; melt both their stockpile and all technical equipment.

4) Trump doesn't need congressional approval. He would normally not need it for 60 days anyway, but in this case, not at all. The Korean conflict never ended. That declaration by congress is still valid. That's good, because then we don't have to telegraph our battle plans, we can gain the advantage of surprise. They've had plenty of warnings.

If, after the initial attack, North Korea retaliates, like shelling Seoul with their very large and highly armored artillery emplacements, go big, quickly, don't be politically correct, annihilation. There is no in-between. Total war, or none at all.

If China joins in, make the best of the situation and destroy their Navy, which is just starting to really project itself, but it's still no match for the US Navy.

Oh, and:

5) Things are only going to get worse. You don't stop negotiations with an adversary based on their position, the difference in position is why you are negotiating. You stop negotiations when you absolutely cannot trust an adversary, they have proven to be absolute liars, who cannot be trusted. That is Kim Jong-un. Lying sociopath. Things will only get worse over there until he can actually hurt us. Put an end to it now. Don't kick the problem down the road for a future administration, as all past administrations have done.

6) Yes, I know that Trump is a lying sociopath too. That doesn't change anything about North Korea.

Discuss.

"We are rapidly approaching a moment of truth both for ourselves as human beings and for the life of our nation. Now, truth is not always a pleasant thing. But it is necessary now to make a choice, to choose between two admittedly regrettable, but nevertheless *distinguishable*, postwar environments: one where you got twenty million people killed, and the other where you got a hundred and fifty million people killed."

"I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."
    Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 08-13-2017 at 12:54 AM.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

We should drop iphones by the millions on the North. We should revisit the Voice of America strategy, and make an internet Radio-Free North Korea. Put some of them on Ellen and send some lucky ones tickets to Disneyworld. Make dramas for tv about North Korean peasants rising in valor to throw off the chains of tyranny. And then, for the coup-de-grace, carpet bomb them with Mickey D happy meals.

What "military option" can Trump be referring to wrt Venezuela? Gotta be his new attention getting rhetoric. "I won't rule out a military option on taxes"

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    And that's the nub. It seems to me that even if all the Russian stuff and the rest are eventually proven he still may survive in office.
    I'm not sure how the Constitution deals with governance from a cell in Leavenworth, but you may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    http://thehill.com/homenews/news/346...raise-of-putin

Former U.S. Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul railed against President Trump on Thursday after he thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for ordering the U.S. to cut its diplomatic staff by 755 people.

In his first comments on the move by Russia, Trump said he was thanking Putin because the decision allows the U.S. government to "cut down our payroll."

“I want to thank him, because we’re trying to cut down our payroll, and as far as I’m concerned I’m very thankful that he let go of a large number of people because now we have a smaller payroll," Trump told reporters at his Bedminster, N.J., golf club.

McFaul tweeted about the comments Thursday night.

"Trump just applauded cuts of 755 in Russian embassy. Maybe he should look to trim his own staff?" McFaul tweeted.

"You realize Mr. President that the State Dept organizes US delegations to GES -- those same people you just said were not needed in Russia. Our diplomats, professional staff, and military serving in Russia provide Washington with invaluable information about Russia," he continued over a series of tweets.
    "Imagine wanting to know less about Russia's military modernization! That's what Trump praised today. Imagine wanting to know less about Russian foreign policy intentions and plans!" McFaul added. "That's what embassy personnel reductions will do. Imagine dissing Americans --patriots serving our country under difficult conditions in Russia -to praise Putin. Our president did today."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...plomats-241498

President Donald Trump on Thursday thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for expelling American diplomats from Russia on the grounds that “we’re going to save a lot of money,” prompting dismay among many of the rank-and-file at the State Department.
    "THANK Putin?" another bewildered State Department official responded. "I don't have words that are printable to describe my reaction."

Barbara Stephenson, the president of the American Foreign Service Association, the diplomats' union, also weighed in with a carefully worded statement: "America’s leadership is being challenged by adversaries who would like to see us fail. We cannot let that happen," she said. "With all the threats facing our nation, we need a properly resourced and staffed Foreign Service more than ever, and we need them where they do the most good—posted abroad, delivering for the American people."

The reaction to Trump's comments on social media was withering, with many suggesting he simply didn't understand how the U.S. Foreign Service is structured and others shocked by his gesture to Putin.

Nicholas Burns, who served as undersecretary of state for political affairs during the second Bush administration, called Trump's statement "shameful."

"He justifies mistreatment of U.S. diplomats by Putin," Burns wrote on Twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kasparov6...69683961364480

Garry Kasparov @Kasparov63
    Incredible. If Russia sank an American Navy ship, Trump would thank Putin for saving the US money on payroll and ship maintenance.
    Next, he'll be thanking North Korea for bombing California.