Thread: ACA failure made mandatory

Default ACA failure made mandatory

[IMc - Since the ACA won't self-destruct, Trump is relying on active maladministration. They know the Trumpkins are sufficiently unconcerned about truth that this whopper won't phase them, and they are hoping that enough other people are sufficiently stupid that they can get away with it.]

Published on Thursday, August 10, 2017, by Common Dreams

Analysis Shows Trump/GOP Sabotage to Blame for Coming Insurance Premium Hikes
    Republicans' healthcare efforts have rattled insurers, meaning millions of Americans will likely see insurance costs increase

by Jessica Corbett, staff writer

In a report released Thursday, the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) found that President Donald Trump and congressional Republicans' recent actions on healthcare legislation will likely cause double-digit insurance premium hikes for millions of Americans in 2018.

Amid repeated attempts by Republicans to destroy the Affordable Care Act (ACA) under the guise that it's in a "death spiral," and Trump's troubling comments suggesting that his administration may try to sabotage the law that governs the U.S. national healthcare system, insurers are proposing to raise premiums for next year, scale back their offerings, or exit the exchange or individual market all together.

"Since there has not been clarity on these issues, some insurers are already assuming that the Trump Administration or Congress may take an action that would destabilize the market," KFF experts wrote last week.

"In many cases that means insurers are adding double-digit premium increases on top of what they otherwise would have requested," Cynthia Cox, a co-author of the Kaiser report, told the Associated Press. "In many cases, what we are seeing is an additional increase due to the political uncertainty."

And as AP noted, "That doesn't sound like what Trump promised when he assumed the presidency."

During the campaign and since his election, Trump repeatedly vowed to replace the current law with something "great" that would "take care of everybody."

Although the ACA, also called Obamacare, applies to the whole U.S. healthcare system—including Medicaid, Medicare, employer-sponsored insurance, and coverage people buy on their own—Republicans' actions are specifically affecting how insurers navigate exchange markets, or marketplaces, which first opened in 2014.

Thus, the premium hikes would have a targeted impact, as the AP reported on Thursday:

About 10 million people who buy policies through HealthCare.gov and state-run markets are potentially affected, as are 5 million to 7 million more who purchase individual policies on their own.

Those in the government-sponsored markets can dodge the hit with the help of tax credits that most of them qualify for to help pay premiums. But off-marketplace customers pay full freight, and they face a second consecutive year of steep increases. Many are self-employed business owners.

For the report released Thursday, KFF researchers examined preliminary premiums and insurer participation in D.C. and the major metropolitan areas of 20 states where filing details were publicly available for proposed costs of the second-lowest cost silver plan—which is "one of the most popular plan choices on the marketplace and is also the benchmark that is used to determine" financial assistance.

From Albuquerque, New Mexico, to Baltimore, Maryland, multiple insurers have requested double-digit premium increases for 2018, with the highest being a 49 percent average rate hike in Delaware, and only one of the 21 analyzed cities showing an average rate decrease. The average total number of marketplace insurers by state is also expected to decrease, leaving some enrollees with only one or two options for coverage.

Although insurers have until September 27 to finalize contracts or withdraw—"so the data in this report are preliminary and could very well change"—past "requested premiums have been similar, if not equal to, the rates insurers ultimately charge." The report also notes that insurers openly express uneasiness about the uncertainty caused by Trump and Congressional Republicans:

The vast majority of insurers included in this analysis cite uncertainty surrounding the individual mandate and/or cost sharing subsidies as a factor in their 2018 rates filings. Some insurers explicitly factor this uncertainty into their initial premium requests, while other companies say if they do not receive more clarity or if cost-sharing payments stop, they plan to either refile with higher premiums or withdraw from the market.

This new KFF analysis substantiates concerns that have been brewing for several months regarding how Republicans' war on Obamacare will affect marketplace premiums. Shortly after Senate Republicans repeatedly failed to enact new healthcare legislation or repeal the ACA this summer, Trump defaulted to his campaign-era rhetoric with promises that the law would "implode."

The president's candid comments on Twitter last month renewed concerns that he would actively sabotage the ACA, and as Common Dreams previously reported, there are three key ways he could do that: stopping payments on cost-sharing subsidies; reducing or undermining enrollment outreach; and weakening or outright ignoring the individual mandate—which aims to keep costs low by requiring everyone to buy healthcare insurance coverage, or pay a tax penalty.

In May, J. Mario Molina, M.D., former CEO of the insurance company Molina Healthcare, wrote in an op-ed for U.S. News & World Report:

Most of the instability driving up premiums in the marketplace can be directly traced to Republicans' efforts to undermine the health care law for their own political purposes....

The administration and Republicans in Congress want you to believe that insurers raising premiums for their plans or exiting the marketplaces all together are consequences of the design of the Affordable Care Act instead of the direct results of their own actions to sabotage the law. Don't let them fool you.

As Common Dreams reported in the spring, when Trump threatened to stop paying cost-sharing subsidies, critics warned that he was "rattling insurers." KFF's report reflects the likely consequences for Americans because Trump and the GOP did not heed those warnings.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

Default Re: ACA failure made mandatory

So you did not read the Kaiser report. I read the report. The other thread has my comments on the Kaiser report.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    So you did not read the Kaiser report. I read the report. The other thread has my comments on the Kaiser report.
    Yes, where you stated that it is the governments fault for not funding the scheme.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

My apologies for not spotting the prior thread at http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...t=#post5311803

I did read the report.

rumpkins are sufficiently unconcerned about truth that this whopper won't faze them,

. . .

The ACA was going to fail without making changes to it long before the current administration. It was built in from the beginning to fail unless corrections were made. Blame who you will on not making the corrections, but I suggest that blaming the cost increases and turbulence on the now is not entirely accurate. Obviously it is not helping things, but cost increases and a lack of competition was already on the way.

I was looking for something from NPR in 2014 but I cant find it. I have instead found a similar bit from Huffpo, please note the date, it was originally written in November of 2015.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-ka...b_8586192.html
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Yes, where you stated that it is the governments fault for not funding the scheme.
    I believe that what the Kaiser paper said and what I agreed with was the annual requirement for government funding. Currently there seems to be a court case on the issue.

You might look at switters' post #6. It points out problems with the ACA. Some of them are problems I recognized long ago - without having to read opinions.

But the big problem with the ACA is that it was passed on a party line vote and it has been used as a club by both sides.
    Life is complex.

"But the big problem with the ACA is that it was passed on a party line vote and it has been used as a club by both sides." [#7]

Republican repeat this mantra and in terms of the vote, it's true. Every Republican followed orders and voted against the program that originated in conservative think tanks and Republican administration. Republicans ordered fealty to the partisan goal of thwarting a Democratic president, just as they had some years earlier to both Clintons. Republicans refused to even try to address the problems of health care access in the USA. Still do. Still no clue of a plan. Still only about partisan hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    "But the big problem with the ACA is that it was passed on a party line vote and it has been used as a club by both sides." [#7]

Every Republican followed orders and voted against the program that originated in conservative think tanks and Republican administration.
    You wield a club poorly.

According to you the Democrats claim credit for a program you attribute credit to the Republicans. Why would you support the Democrats?

I don't believe the programs you are comparing are the same. But it does not matter. I will blame both parties for the current situation.
    Life is complex.

There is no real controversy and it's not at all denigrating Democrats to acknowledge the important rolls of conservative think tanks and especially of "RomneyCare". Try reading https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-birth/397742/ for a bit of background.

Some people remain committed to the concept of democratic self-governance, which means everyone takes a step.

It has been a mystery to me why. the ACA is such a turkey. Other developed nations have government run healthcare.
    It is like an NA opened a design shop on a street with 30 others, who all had boats built to their designs happily sailing around, and then designed something without even looking out his window, and then tried to convince us that its needing redesigning is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    There is no real controversy and it's not at all denigrating Democrats to acknowledge the important rolls of conservative think tanks and especially of "RomneyCare". Try reading https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-birth/397742/ for a bit of background.

Some people remain committed to the concept of democratic self-governance, which means everyone takes a step.
    Again you as well as this source use your clubs poorly.

As much as I support some of the ACA and even single payer, I don't support the ACA or any single payer program that has been implemented. I would take serious offense if someone suggested I supported either the ACA or single payer as they are misrepresenting my position. Yet you and your source are making that type of claim for the ACA and draft papers from groups that supported Republicans 20 years ago. Not even comparing to Republican proposed legislation.

I was listening to NPR this week and heard an author of a biography of LBJ. He made the comment that Johnson was told: if you want something you need to give something. I agree with that so we seem to agree on how governing works.

The Democrats wanted votes in the past election. They forgot to give something. Instead they took away the uncompensated medical care payments to those who provided services to the poor and required the poor to pay copays and out of pocket amounts and those not so poor to pay those costs as well as premiums. The result was the Democrats did not get enough votes.

While we know how governing works, neither party seem to.
    Life is complex.

TLT, you forget, the Parties are creatures of their financiers, and with 40% not voting pressure groups are enough to get you elected.
    The lobbyists and those financiers are the clients of the political parties, not the minority that are voters.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    TLT, you forget, the Parties are creatures of their financiers, and with 40% not voting pressure groups are enough to get you elected.
    The lobbyists and those financiers are the clients of the political parties, not the minority that are voters.
    I have said many times that the Republicans represent to top 1% (economically). And the Democrats represent the next 19%. One might say that is my complaint about the ACA: it benefits the 19% at the expense of the bottom 50%.

I agree with your comments.
    Life is complex.