Thread: Brief Hummingbird video

Default Brief Hummingbird video

A little something to lift the spirit. I'm particularly entranced by the movement of the wings through all the maneuvers.

https://youtu.be/RtUQ_pz5wlo
    So many questions, so little time.

Default Re: Brief Hummingbird video

Thanks Jack, definitely one of the more delightful and beautiful manifestations of evolution. The thing that astonishes me about hummingbirds is that some of them make an 18-hour migratory flight across the Caribbean. How does such a tiny little thing carry enough energy to do that?!

(One of my dad's colleagues did some work on another bird that migrates straight across the Caribbean - can't remember the species, some kind of lark maybe. Pre-flight they were little balls of fat, and they lost something like half their body weight making the crossing. Migration is, in part, a testament to the variable space-time distribution of primary and secondary production...)

What are you doing about it?

Another, with fun facts to know and tell.

https://youtu.be/FPRswRWZ23Q

How does such a tiny little thing carry enough energy to do that?!
    Monarch butterflies migrate thousands of miles.

Generally speaking, the eastern population migrates from southern Canada and the Midwest United States almost directly south toward Mexico. Monarchs from the Northeast tend to migrate in a southwesterly direction. Monarchs transplanted from the midwest to the east coast began migrating directly south but then reoriented their path to the southwest in one study. Geographical features affect the migration route.[52]
    In general, the western population of monarchs migrates from areas west of the Rocky Mountains including northern Canada to California.

Captivating little critters.
    Nosce te ipsum

Very nice! Here's an interesting one I saw last week - a Hummingbird Moth, which eats and moves just like a hummingbird, but is of course a bug, utterly different in structure and ancestry. A really spectacular example of convergent evolution. Not that great a picture, but I took it with a cell phone.

A professional photo of the little guy:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Monarch butterflies migrate thousands of miles.
    Indeed, but they can land whenever they need to, more or less, and each round-trip may take multiple generations, IIRC.

Dragonflies, on the other hand, may also cross the Caribbean in a single flight. Again, IIRC.

Thanks for this!

Last week I had both a hummingbird & a hummingbird moth at a bee balm outside my window - was quite wonderful to see - especially being able to compare, with them being 18" or so from each other.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Hummingbirds must be the cutest little dinosaurs ever created. And I've seen the moths repeatedly - I can't tell them apart unless I look for a surprisingly long time. Lovely creatures!

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Strawberry Plains Audubon Hummingbird Festival, Holly Springs, Mississippi

I have mentioned "my" hummingbirds before.

I'm unsure exactly which of the 11,009 types mine are, but they sing beautifully. One will sit in the bottle brush by my patio chair and twitter away like a songbird in a tearoom.

Which, if you've never been in a proper Chinese tearoom with birds and all, get thee to one. Such an overwhelmingly beautiful experience to be bathed in the sweet warblings. And, Chinese folks do tea pretty well, eh?

Peace,
    Robert

Over the year we use literally gallons of Hummer food. I never tire of watching them.

I have one of these (Antillean crested hummingbird) constantly visiting the bougainvillea bush outside my window.

Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

One more, this one longer, for those interested in their evolution. Narrated by David Attenborough.

https://youtu.be/4sDetQmmuJE

I've gotten interested this summer while watching a pair of Ruby-throated feeding at a window feeder not four feet from where I sit at my desk. Watching them has literally lifted my eyes away from this screen, away from the heat and bother of the world these days.

"A child said, What is the grass? fetching it to me with full
    hands;
    How could I answer the child?. . . .I do not know what it
    is any more than he."

Walt Whitman

The fledglings are here! Their parents are tiny, and the little ones maybe half sized. They clearly are flying on learner's permits, as they do a lot of wobbling and diving around before they find the nectar at my feeder. Cute little boogers!

The little ones remind me of slow-motion video of bees crashing into each other (and if you've never seen that, it's worth finding on YouTube!).

Our hummingbird family are gutsy little guys. We have a little concrete fountain on the back deck. They like to sit, one at a time, on the lip where water flows over the edge. If you walk around the corner and surprise the bird it leaps up and hovers about 4 feet from your face until you back away.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman