Thread: Stanley #12 cabinet scraper - a new addition

Default Stanley #12 cabinet scraper - a new addition

So yesterday afternoon on the way home I stopped by an 'antique' shop that usually has an interesting and eclectic assortment of things to wander through. Not looking for anything, but rather to drop off a couple of things that he might be able to move for a few bucks (and not worth my effort for just them). I just walk in , say something like 'if you can do something with these I'll leave them here for you', he asks me 'what is fair for them', to which I reply with 'next time a find something give me an appropriate discount'. Then we talk old tools and stuff for a few minutes, I wander for a few more and go on my way. We've gone though this routine a number of times over the past year or so with things I haven't had any use for.
    After we get done chatting and I'm wandering around I come across a box with three nice cabinet scrapers in it. I never really thought about getting one, have always been able to work without one, and always thought they were interesting tools (or at least neat looking). So I pick one up and say "I'm not looking, but just out of curiosity what is your price on the cabinet scrapers, I am curious what they are bringing these days". He says they're not bad and gives me a number, to which I reply 'yep, .. too rich for me'. A second later he says ... 'why don't you pick one out and take it with you'. So we go over them and talk about them and I walk out with a nice vintage cabinet scraper. Not bad for some stuff that if I hadn't dropped there would have headed to the dump.

Last edited by nedL; 08-10-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Default Re: Stanley #12 cabinet scraper - a new addition

Nice find!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

That is a floor scraper. Also used for leveling veneer work. A good one is worth about $175.00. Although it can handle a lot of surfaces other than floors and veneers, that is what it was designed for. I have one that belonged to my grand father.
    I found that it works best with a bevel on the blade that also has had its edge turned with a burnisher after having been stone sharpened. A very slight arc to the blade will prevent edge gouges.
    Jay

Sweet!

Alex

How many times over the years people would say "i need lots of sandpaper" I'd say.. "I don't" The looks of "huh" are priceless. scraper... whasdat? lol
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    That is a floor scraper. Also used for leveling veneer work. A good one is worth about $175.00. Although it can handle a lot of surfaces other than floors and veneers, that is what it was designed for. I have one that belonged to my grand father.
    I found that it works best with a bevel on the blade that also has had its edge turned with a burnisher after having been stone sharpened. A very slight arc to the blade will prevent edge gouges.
    Jay

Jay, ...Thank you, .... Now I have a nice vintage "floor scraper"

.... and one 'side' or 'end' of the blade does have just a slight crown, and the straight side has that little 'bur' or turned edge that you need.

I've always thought they might be useful on really wild grain that is difficult to get nice and clean with a plane.
    Last edited by nedL; 08-10-2017 at 12:16 PM.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm

I have a smaller version with a rosewood sole and use it all the time. As mentioned in the link above these are invaluable for finishing after a toothing plane.
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 08-10-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Scraper is better for your health than a sander for sure.

I have a "Kunz" cabinet scraper, great tool for large areas. I've a number of scrapers used without the holder as well, many of them home made from wide bandsaw blade material.
    One of the things that I've done when running woodwork classes is to show cabinet scrapers, how to sharpen and use them. So many people have never seen them and are astounded at the difference in the finish when compared to that left by a sander.

Nice find NedL, may it serve you well.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    J
    I've always thought they might be useful on really wild grain that is difficult to get nice and clean with a plane.
    Just so. Sometimes it is the only way.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I'm definately looking forward to getting some use out of it, thanks everyone.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I use one and an adapted spoke shave as a leather parer to thin down hides for book binding. I think mine is actually an ice scraper.

And whilst we are on the subject of antique hand tools……..

Last edited by skuthorp; 08-11-2017 at 05:30 AM.

I've always used just the bare scraper blade hand held. Other than it sometimes gets a little hot to hold, what is the advantage of the holder?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I use one and an adapted spoke shave as a leather parer to thin down hides for book binding. I think mine is actually an ice scraper.

And whilst we are on the subject of antique hand tools……..

Beautiful tool chest!!! I marvel at some of those antique tool chests, ... but then I also wonder what you do when you get just one more tool?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I've always used just the bare scraper blade hand held. Other than it sometimes gets a little hot to hold, what is the advantage of the holder?
    Certainly it will also keep the blade at the same angle (not all that important I suppose). When s raping an entire floor I could definitely see the advantage of not holding the hot blade.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Its much easier to use on a large surface, ones thumbs dont get sore, you can apply a lot more force and you can remove material much more quickly.
    John Welsford

Nice old tools like that are supposed to be splattered with white paint. I think you can get proper White Splattering Paint direct from Stanley replacement parts......

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Beautiful tool chest!!! I marvel at some of those antique tool chests, ... but then I also wonder what you do when you get just one more tool?
    Nice cabinetwork, but some inlay or marquetry would be nice, thats a very plane finish.

John Welsford

Scored a Record 080 recently at a boot sale - much kinder on the thumbs than a bare card.
    http://www.record-planes.com/record-...scraper-plane/
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

A BOOT SALE.....precious. Lee valley has a card scraper holder you can bow in the center. Handy but im still looking for the old Stanley.......maybe from a boot sale.
    Last edited by Boater14; 08-23-2017 at 05:04 PM.