Thread: Running Rage

Default Running Rage

Yes. I've seen it. I suppose many of us have. Bikes too. Hardly typical... but certainly noteworthy. And deplorable.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jogger-rage-why-runners-getting-160000219.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/ad00978...into-path.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Running Rage

Take the stupid ear buds out, and connect to nature.

I'm okay if you keep your padded shoes on so you can injure yourself, but take the stupid music out. People listen to metal and such when they run to get "pumped up".

Suffice to say, I am the anti rage runner. And I would never countenance that behavior if I saw it. Someone would get talked to. Loudly enough to hear through the earbuds, eh?

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Also, they are sideWALKS. Not sideRUNS, not sideRIDES, not sideSKATES. All those activities defer to walkers on sidewalks and trails.
    Period.
    I have the conch, what?

Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post

Anger, if that were my wife, he would now be unable to run.

He should be in jail now.
    PaulF

I can honestly say I've never seen this phenomenon. I have certainly felt irritated at a wandering toddler, clueless Pokémon go player or a driver playing with their cell phone; the most I've ever done in response is to scream "a**hole" and move on--after almost getting mowed down in a crosswalk. The drive never saw me. Her eyes were on her device.

Ive never ever seen anything physical, ever.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

We (in the USA) live in an increasingly rude society. I can't say that I'm surprised, but runners tend to be more polite than this.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Putney Bridge bus-push jogger suspect arrested

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40889511

I find myself unaware from time to time when I am out bicycling. I just suddenly realize that I have no idea what has happened for the past several minutes. I think a large number of runners and bicyclists find themselves that way.

That does not excuse him. Certainly not since he passed by a while latter and ignored people trying to stop him.
    Life is complex.

i have a few friends that run. i find running extremely boring. but it's not as boring as sitting in a room and listening to them talk about running.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I find myself unaware from time to time when I am out bicycling. I just suddenly realize that I have no idea what has happened for the past several minutes. I think a large number of runners and bicyclists find themselves that way.
    Happens to me all the time.

I've been told that it's some sort of "disassociative" disorder. Or something like that. I dunno, I wasn't really paying attention.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Momentary lapses in attention happen to everybody. When they happen at the wrong time they cause an accident. There can be significant safety lapses that contribute to an accident, but unless those safety lapses were really serious, an accident is a forgivable sin.

From the looks of that vid, that was no accident. I'm not a lawyer, but that looked like attempted murder to me. He should be hunted down and put on trial just as if he walked up to her, pointed a gun at her, pulled the trigger, and missed.

He pushed her in front of a freakin' bus!
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    We (in the USA) live in an increasingly rude society. I can't say that I'm surprised, but runners tend to be more polite than this.
    It's OK, you have guns too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

They arrested an American investment banker... who claims he wasn't even in country at the time... stay tuned.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Used to happen to me when marathon canoeing in a K1. You'd just be concentrating on keeping that ripple at the bow absolutely constant and miles would go by without you being aware of it.
    That runner actually had to deviate and break concentration to do that. Not the same.

Hmm . . .

One year at the Windsor Half Marathon, one runner aggressively elbowed me out of the way in the first mile. Before he ran off, he locked me with psychotic eyes and shouted that if I couldn’t go faster I should get out of the way.

---

Another step could be for us runners everywhere to just get over ourselves . . . We need to calm down and remind ourselves that it is not the responsibility of pedestrians to accommodate our heroic pursuit.
    From the "Why?" article.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?

There is probably nobody here better suited to discuss fatigue related zombie syndrome than I. 14 hours of running will crack you. 12 hours of Ironman will, too.

I saw talking lizards and a gigantic butterfly on a fifty miler. Really. A little man ran alongside me for miles.

I regular turn myself inside out running. I've run in big crowds, and small race packs. I've thrown a few elbows and rabbit punches in pack race position battles, but never more than prods, you know?

The idea of randomly attacking a citizen is appalling to me. This dude is no different than the Knock Out Game kids. Remember that?

We need to have more personal accountability. Period. Everyone is Cartman, doing what they want, being in, like, 9 gangs. The hardest part of living in a civil society, after all, is BEING civil.

Peace,
    Robert

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Hehe. That's super funny.

Peace,
    Robert