Thread: A boat name

Default A boat name

I wish there was a directory of boat names and how/why the namers named them.
    There is a sweet little boat for sale at the downtown marina. It's a 1955 Custom Craft sedan cruiser. The name is "Old Lace". A very odd name if I may say so.
    Now, the Tacoma waterfront used to boast of the largest copper smelter on the west coast. It operated for over 70 years. After it's smokestack was blown up, it became a huge Superfund cleanup site. It had put out a plume of arsenic laden vapor for years, inundating North Tacoma and Vashon Island. If we grow veggies, they have to be in an above ground planter. We have 2 8X12 planters.
    Anyhow, when I saw "Old Lace" I wondered if the owner had something to do with the arsenic, as in "Arsenic And Old Lace".
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Default Re: A boat name

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    I wish there was a directory of boat names and how/why the namers named them.
    There is a sweet little boat for sale at the downtown marina. It's a 1955 Custom Craft sedan cruiser. The name is "Old Lace". A very odd name if I may say so.
    Now, the Tacoma waterfront used to boast of the largest copper smelter on the west coast. It operated for over 70 years. After it's smokestack was blown up, it became a huge Superfund cleanup site. It had put out a plume of arsenic laden vapor for years, inundating North Tacoma and Vashon Island. If we grow veggies, they have to be in an above ground planter. We have 2 8X12 planters.
    Anyhow, when I saw "Old Lace" I wondered if the owner had something to do with the arsenic, as in "Arsenic And Old Lace".
    Interesting, when I was in a Graduate water chemistry classes at the UW (1975) we tracked the plume of ASARCO all the way into northern Canada! An incredable footprint.

That boat name would be fitting and carefully thought out!! Very cleaver!! How old was the boat?

50 thousand years from now, if we are here, they will be able to map it (the arsenic impact ), nothing was cleaned up, they (consulting companies) milked the funds until dry.

Sorry to admit...I worked for those companies early in my career.
    Last edited by paulf; 08-09-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Brilliant name. As I read and before I got to the plant I was wondering if there was an arsenic connection.

Paul, did you know it had a theme song?
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman