Thread: Large, straight white oak blowdown in north central WV

Default Large, straight white oak blowdown in north central WV

Had a good size white oak come down (uprooted) up in the woods from my house last month. 28" dbh (diameter at breast height), 24" diam at ~35', straight out to ~45', with just a couple side limbs. Still with green leaves, have yet to cut it off the stump. Local lumberjacks don't care to come after one tree, and it's just too big and pretty to want to cut the main stem for firewood. Had a friend recommend I post it on here in case anybody wants it for boat building. Access is decent, forest roads can handle a pickup and short trailer. Will need to saw on site, but once it's sawn and brought down the hill, there's access for a longer trailer to take it down the road. I'm in north central WV, about a half hour south of Morgantown. I can email pictures.

Default Re: Large, straight white oak blowdown in north central WV

Yes, it would be a shame to cut that beauty up for firewood.

It's possible you can get it milled into lumber on-site. There are people that have mobile bandsaw mills, or chainsaw mills - either as a hobby, a side gig, or a full-time business. How to find them? I've had some luck by going to the manufacturers and asking who in my area they know that owns & operates one of their mills. The fellow I use Owns one from 'Wood-mizer' - which is one of the big names. But google 'portable bandsaw mills' and you'll find more.

Another potential connection - call your local wood suppliers and ask if they know anyone who runs a mobile bandsaw mill or chainsaw mill.

Another possibllity - Look (or even advertise) on Craigslist.

I'll be quite surprised if you don't find someone who will mill that log for you.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

It would have been better for it to blow down in the winter when the sap is down.

If you can get it milled and under damp sawdust ASAP it will be good for bending stock. If the stem is large enough someone has a keel and maybe a stem and forefoot! Call Kiwi at Edensaw in Port Townsend. They may want the entire tree. Save the root crooks!
    Jay

Thanks for the tips all! Haven't called Edensaw yet, you reckon they'd send a truck to West Virginia? Also, what's worth saving in the root crooks? Aside from cool gnarl in the yard?

Grown knees are quite strong, and desirable.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)