Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 31213

Thread: Do Dems NEED global warming?

Default Re: Do Dems NEED global warming?

Of course a more reasonable person than me might point out that the only groups being funded specifically to express a partisan opinion on climate change (and for no other reason at all) are climate denier groups.
    In fact there seems to be a very eager community of rich fossil fuel enthusiasts who will give unlimited money to anyone from the pool of those who could deny climate change and remain, even remotely, credible. (A pool that has all but disappeared.)
    Another reasonable observation might be that the science and the understanding of that science is getting exponentially stronger every year. For a hoax or a conspiracy that really is a remarkable result. I would say unprecedented. Its almost like fooling all of the people all of the time. But if it is being sustained merely to prolong funding into nothing, that is an astonishingly successful campaign and hats off to the millions of disparate individuals all over the world for maintaining the momentum behind that conspiracy since .... the 1970's. That's an inter-generational conspiracy to support nothing, so they can get funding. Impressive!

Speaking to the title of the thread, it does beg the question "Do conservatives need climate denial?". For the millions of people for whom change (and feeling guilty) is terrifying, ie - the natural conservative voter, having a party that represents their fear as founded, is critical. Parties tapping into this fear of change also release funding from those rich fossil fuel enthusiasts whose going concerns are threatened by antipollution policies.

But of course that is all very far fetched. No, clearly the reasonable stance is that multiple generations of scientists all over the world have conspired so they can perpetuate their funding.
    Last edited by gypsie; 10-19-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Are you guys incapable of understanding the surest, the most certain road to wealth and fame for any researcher to to come up with real verifiable proof that Climate change isn't happening . That person or team would be millionaires in a week. Big oil and coal would pay anything for that proof and I'd love to see it too.

But it isn't available is it ? Why ? Don't scientists want wealth and fame delivered to their door? The thanks of millions of worried people, not to mention all the coal and oil industry employees?
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 10-20-2017 at 12:54 AM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I heard an interesting little piece the other day; there are more yoga instructors in the USA than coal miners.

You see - that's what this debate has been reduced to - yoga instructors!
    Just you wait, the economy will have a lycra-led recovery soon.

You do know that Exxon scientists understood AGW to be real, some time ago?

As for the religion part, JAFT.
    I'll see your EXXON and raise you a Koch.
    Bombshell: Koch-Funded Study Finds ‘Global Warming Is Real’, ‘On The High End’ And ‘Essentially All’ Due To Carbon Pollution
    https://thinkprogress.org/bombshell-...-be07aeadc3de/
    CALL me a converted skeptic. Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I’m now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Yep. I've discussed this with Muller, actually.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
    I suggest, this is a religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Yep. I've discussed this with Muller, actually.
    Were you both on your knees?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Most of my correspondence with Richard Muller took place while I was at work, and some while I was at home. So, seated in a comfortable chair on all occasions, I think.

What are you doing about it?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned baristas.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Ah, thank you that's much more representational.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford