Thread: H.E. (Eric) Cox, of Christchurch, New Zealand, double-ender 32'

Default H.E. (Eric) Cox, of Christchurch, New Zealand, double-ender 32'

I have just received an article from Sea Spray magazine, with plans for a cruising yacht. I can't upload it here as the file is too large, but you can access it here: http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/2017...-designer.html

This is not the design of my boat, but as there is interest in Eric Cox's designs I thought it was worth sharing.

Default Re: H.E. (Eric) Cox, of Christchurch, New Zealand, double-ender 32'

Fair Maid is aptly named. Glad you found and rescued her!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I think you wasted your time asking the Maritime Museum anything. You would have had better luck on the Waitemata Woodys website.

cheers

Thanks Jase. I've written to WW to see what they have to say, and to share the data I have gathered so far. On the blog there are now several scans of Sea Spray pages, of various designs and some Eric Cox adverts. The NZ Maritime Museum have been fantastic, by the way. Here's the exchange I had with them (from the bottom up).

Sent: 10 August 2017 11:15
    To: John
    Subject: RE: Fair Maid

No problem, here it is,
    Danielle

Sent: Thursday, 10 August 2017 2:42 p.m.
    To: Danielle C
    Subject: Re: Fair Maid

OK, thanks Danielle. I'd still like that 1948 article if it's not too much trouble please!

Sent: 10 August 2017 10:31
    Subject: RE: Fair Maid

I’ve found a 26 foot Cox cruiser from May 1948 that looks (to my unpracticed eye) more similar in shape, but obviously dimensions not right. 284 sq ft mainsail and 102 sq ft jib. Otherwise no luck, sorry.

Sent: 10 August 2017 08:25
    Subject: Re: Information request

Thanks Danielle. It would have to be pre-1949, I guess. The boat was launched in 1951, and was preceded by the building of a model here in Perth, and some correspondence with Eric Cox, and him supplying plans, which I cannot see could have all happened in a month or two between here and Christchurch!

Interestingly, studying those plans one can see huge family resemblances, but also key differences - a deeper keel, a different stern, different beam, and of course an entirely different rig, yet the hull shape and other features are very similar.

Of course, we could be looking in the wrong magazine!

Sent: 10 August 2017 07:47
    Subject: RE: Information request

Hi John,

I’m sorry to hear that wasn’t the correct plan! We do have much of the back collection of Sea Spray – would you have any idea if the plan would be more likely to have appeared pre-1949 or after 1950?

Best regards,
    Danielle

Sent: Wednesday, 9 August 2017 4:49 p.m.
    Subject: Re: Information request

Thanks Danielle, I appreciate your efforts. I've paid the fee, see below.

Also, I'm wondering if the source of info. is mistaken about which magazine his father saw the plans in, because that boat you found is not the same design. Mine looks like the attached (note the draft, beam, and different stern).

Regards,
    John

Sent: 09 August 2017 08:04
    Subject: RE: Information request

Hi John,

Thanks for your enquiry. While we don’t have any plans or other collection items relating to Eric Cox’s designs, I have managed to track down what may be the original article, see attached. There was an article by H. E. Cox in an issue from April 1949, but it was for an 18 footer, so I wonder if this article from 1951 is the one you were looking for? Aside from these two, there were no other articles by or about a Cox design in the 1949-50 issues.

The fee for answering this request is $NZ15.00. The payment can be made by credit card on the Museum website at: www.maritimemuseum.co.nz/library-research-fee.
    Image removed by sender.
    Library Research Fee or Library Donation | Maritime Museum
    www.maritimemuseum.co.nz
    This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and helps to reduce spam submissions. The letters are not case sensitive.

Best regards
    Danielle

Danielle C
    Archives & Library Manager
    Bill Laxon Maritime Library
    New Zealand Maritime Museum
    PO Box 3141, Auckland 1140, New Zealand
    Corner Quay & Hobson Streets, Viaduct Harbour, Auckland
    DDI: +64 9 373 0810
    www.maritimemuseum.co.nz