Thread: News Aggregators

Default News Aggregators

One of the things that I used to really like about the Google news page was that for any one headline story, they listed three or four sources (more if you clicked a link) for that story. So in other words, say a headline said something like, "Trump fires Comey", below that might be listed the same story from WaPo, CNN, Fox, HuffPo, etc. and I could choose which version I wanted to read, or better yet read several to see the extreme differences that one story could generate from say Fox versus HuffPo.

Recently Google changed their format and now, like most other news pages, you are presented with only one source for a given headline, whichever one Google deems important. I don't know if I can change the settings to affect that because you have to sign in to Google to change settings, which I have no desire to do.

I've looked at other recommended "news aggregators" but haven't seen any that offer the multiple source for one story option. Anyone know of one or otherwise have a favorite fair and balanced news source for the desktop?

Default Re: News Aggregators

Yahoo still does that...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I've grown to hate HuffPo, since they redesigned their presentation and littered the stories with useless HuffPo-produced videos that add no additional information.....

....but I really like Flipboard... a straightforward aggregator. On the iPad or iPhone, it's easy to skip past the inevitable ads.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

If you click the news link below the google search window you will be presented with a the old style list of news stories.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    If you click the news link below the google search window you will be presented with a the old style list of news stories.
    I don't see that. Can you give me a link to the page where you are doing that?

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

On the Google news site, click the down arrow at lower right in the box to expand coverage. Then on full coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    On the Google news site, click the down arrow at lower right in the box to expand coverage. Then on full coverage.
    This.
    Nosce te ipsum