Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triscarf

Very rough design of the rear float

I don't post to get a response, just to record my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Decided a simple thin hull would be better, have also reduced the overall length

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    I have looked and played about with designs a bit bigger than an Optimist and I can only agree that there are many simpler ways to get what I want. Just seeing where this journey takes me.

Very interesting comparison with an Optimist - food for thought

Default Re: Triscarf

The idea is for a folding and easy transport of a craft for exploring small rivers easily.
    I'm somewhat familiar with a number of small rivers in the North East - Till, North Tyne from Keilder, South Tyne from Alston, Tyne itself from Hexham, Swale, Ure, Yorshire Ouse, Upper Wear, Tees down to Barnard Castle.... - and I'd not fancy sailing on any other than the larger flatter rivers.

A Duck Punt might be made to work but on most of those rivers you will struggle to find six inches of water in some places - crippling a rudder and sometimes forcing portages (or wet drags) for even a canoe.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    I'm somewhat familiar with a number of small rivers in the North East - Till, North Tyne from Keilder, South Tyne from Alston, Tyne itself from Hexham, Swale, Ure, Yorshire Ouse, Upper Wear, Tees down to Barnard Castle.... - and I'd not fancy sailing on any other than the larger flatter rivers.

A Duck Punt might be made to work but on most of those rivers you will struggle to find six inches of water in some places - crippling a rudder and sometimes forcing portages (or wet drags) for even a canoe.
    My primary location will be the Tees between the Barrage and Yarm, there are some nice spots just down stream of Preston Park. I put a small rig on my 12'x30" open canoe, it sailed well on a lake but with the wind bouncing about the trees on the Tees a very nerve racking experience. Though a Duck Punt would be better I don't feel it would be ideal.

Thanks, that's making more sense now - I've sailed with wind eddies around trees and other obstructions - can be very very strange indeed.

Quick and dirty answer might be a pair of small lightweight outriggers.

Thanks, that's making more sense now - I've sailed with wind eddies around trees and other obstructions - can be very very strange indeed.

Quick and dirty answer might be a pair of small lightweight outriggers.

It has been a funny day mix of a few moments of CAD sandwiched between driving and thinking time.

At one point I stretched the craft to 3m

Sitting on some steps I however decided minimum of a 300mm seat height would be required for comfort. This is more achievable with a cockpit and that leads to your suggest of adding outriggers to my 12' x 30" open canoe.

I think this is achievable with stuff I have lying about and can be achieved without compromising the canoes current simplicity and weight.

Just to conclude and close the tread, this is where my thoughts with the help of the contributors, have ended up.

Not a Triscarf but the most logical craft given my situation and existing craft and materials lying about. The frame will simply be held in place with webbing and ratchet straps (I have on very nice stainless ratchets from an old proa build). Apart from the floats I have everything I need lying about. The floats will be very cheap and dirty made from foam just to test volume. If they are ok I can look at building more permanent floats. Total build cost 15

Anyway thanks one and all for you input,
    off to start building

Where did you get the stainless ratchets?

Where did you get the stainless ratchets?
    bought off the net in 2005 but don't have any records of from where - my log book has almost everything else recorded but not the ratchets

I am sure they are easy to get ..... but at a cost.

I am sure you will have seen this already but just in case you haven't Solway Dory have a useful page explaining the rationale behind their canoe outriggers. They go for 50lb bouyancy in each float.

http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/products...ni-outriggers/

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    I am sure you will have seen this already but just in case you haven't Solway Dory have a useful page explaining the rationale behind their canoe outriggers. They go for 50lb bouyancy in each float.

http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/products...ni-outriggers/
    just in for a coffee, yes have read this but good to be reminded of it and have some figures to sanity check my design against.

Scavenge hunt going well, do seam to have everything I need except the floats.

Thanks Tink

Serendipity intervened

Amazon kindly emailed me about these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Marina...qua+marina+sup

30 inc p&p, lots have design work and finding stuff but life has got it the way of actually constructed anything.

Feel progress will be rapid once I find some time