Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you fly in a pilotless airliner?

Default Would you fly in a pilotless airliner?

The question is being asked, for profit margin reasons if nothing else. Just imagine the salary of all the technical aircrew disappeared from the books! Of course in about 3 months a hacker, or worse, would take one over and loop the loop it, or crash it, or whatever. Oh the airlines will say that ''our systems are secure"….. right……….
    So how do you feel about it? Over half the people asked said no, but the figures evidently say that pilots are dangerous…..

"Pilotless flight might be in our future, but according to a new study by Swiss bank UBS, consumers are not quite ready to embrace it.
    Out of the 8,000 people surveyed for the report, more than half said they were unwilling to travel in a pilotless plane, even if the price was cheaper. Overall, only 17 percent said they would be likely to take an uncrewed flight, but that percentage rose to 27 percent when reducing the sample size to those aged 18–24, and 31 percent with those aged 25–34.
    Acceptance to fly pilotless also varied by country. German and French respondents were the least likely to take a flight with no pilot (13 percent), while US respondents were the most likely (27 percent)".

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/7/16...fly-ubs-report

Default Re: Would you fly in a pilotless airliner?

.........People are dangerous.
    Hal 9000.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Nope. Sully. Sioux City. Enough events that I am personally aware of. Machines break.
    Tom

After twenty one years, Dad finally made it to the left seat of the DC8. It was sometime after that, early '70s I think, that experiments were going forward with an automated instrument landing system. Dad made one such at Heathrow, letting the machine control the whole landing. During the long taxi to the terminal, Dad came on the PA and explained how the system worked, how it was being tested, how the pilots were ready to take over were there a problem. At the end of his piece, Dad concluded, "This has been a recording. Thank you for flying PanAm."

As in the case of drones, aircraft can be flown with an operator on the other side of the planet, should the need arise. However, more than enough cases have proven that a pilot in the seat has more control even in marginal situations than a remote pilot could ever have. "fly by wireless" has always made me a little uncomfortable.

Not a chance.

I always get a chuckle from such stories about how it'll lower the cost of air travel.
    The cost for the captian and first officer on my airplane are @ $500 per flight hour including medical insurance and contributions to retirement accounts. So on a 2 hour flight that's $1000.
    The jet carries 149 passengers. We a running @ 85% full these days .

So each passenger is paying $7.89 for the pilots on say a flight from Atlanta to New York. What did YOU pay for your last ticket?

Oh and for comparison each passenger is paying @ $38 for the fuel on that trip.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Hell's bells... I've flown on gliders, piston-engined and fighter jet planes that I've piloted. If people were silly enough to give me the controls.... next thing you know Skynet will be trusted to fly the planes.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I suppose there is a future where powerful AI will do that, but I will be dead by then.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I always get a chuckle from such stories about how it'll lower the cost of air travel.
    The cost for the captian and first officer on my airplane are @ $500 per flight hour including medical insurance and contributions to retirement accounts. So on a 2 hour flight that's $1000.
    The jet carries 149 passengers. We a running @ 85% full these days .

So each passenger is paying $7.89 for the pilots on say a flight from Atlanta to New York. What did YOU pay for your last ticket?

Oh and for comparison each passenger is paying @ $38 for the fuel on that trip.

they say "lower air travel cost" but they mean "more profits for the fat cats"

None of this will happen anytime soon. No commercial aircraft in any fleet can do the entire flight profile with any human input. Is it technologically possible? Sure but would I trust them to be programmed for every possible scenario? I've seen some pretty crazy problems that I'm sure glad they had crews on board to handle. Brand new A350 sitting out in the hangar and it can't do it. it probably wouldnt take a ton of modification to make it possible, but that's on a very small number of what is actually out there flying right now. Most of them would take major modification and certification. Until it's designed into new planes (30 year+ service life) it's not gonna be happening fast.
    Tom

Tom, the 350 has arrived? Looking forward to seeing it. Doubt I'll ever fly it as I don't intend to go international.

The pilots are not the parts of the airplanes that scare me.

The incredible speed and altitude are the things that really give me pause. And make me barf. And sweat. And cry. And wet myself.

It has been a long time since I flew. When did the Concorde crash?

Peace,
    Really, Really Big Chicken

There is a long list of machines that function more or less without operators, yet still have them. Most don't remember when elevators fell in this category. Still there are railroads, subways, etc. Aircraft are easier to make automatic than a car, but both seem likely to stay redundant. It's interesting that one would consider eliminating the pilot before eliminating the attendants serving coffee. Also, why Uber want's to eliminate the drivers they aren't paying anyway, and that makes the stock price to up.

There seems to be a growing tendency for manufacturers to let their customers beta-test their products.

This is one area where I would assiduously avoid being placed in that position.

By the time the practice has been proven to my satisfaction - in the best of cases - I'll be too busy taking a dirtnap to do any flying.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Tom, the 350 has arrived? Looking forward to seeing it. Doubt I'll ever fly it as I don't intend to go international.
    Yep. Sitting in bay 10 now. Doing evac proving on it and OJT for mechanics. It's quite nice.
    Tom

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Yep. Sitting in bay 10 now. Doing evac proving on it and OJT for mechanics. It's quite nice.
    I've seen the sim. Looks a bit like the Bridge of a starship. It's tempting but I just don't have the desire to do the long haul stuff, despite the $$. Plus I'd miss all my "boaty" layovers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.
    Considering your zip code I'd expect so!

I do believe in the not too distant future there will be only 1 pilot in the cockpit on domestic flights. The controllers will essentially be flying the jet with the sole pilot acknowledging thier inputs with the ability to override.
    To eliminate any human presence in the pointy end would require a huge leap in AI. It's coming, but it'll be after I retire.
    And no matter how good that AI is I dont think it could account for all the variables we encounter when operating in 3 dimensions. Electronics and machinery break from time to time. Weather is constantly changing.

I'll be on my dock with a beer watching them fly up and down the east coast by then, having enjoyed actually flying the jet.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 08-08-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Right, then where will we get those amusing interchanges between pilot and tower the fliers post here from time to time?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Right, then where will we get those amusing interchanges between pilot and tower the fliers post here from time to time?

010010101001 10101000101 10101100101001101010

Haha.

Peace,
    Furture, Robo-Me

Flying is inherently unsafe. Chaos intrudes. Always.

The only reason the statistics are as good as they are is through endless attention to detail.

Computers are very good with tedium. But they don't care whether they live or die.

People are very good with judgement and most definitely care whether they live or die. But they're lousy at tedium.

The ideal safe system is for computers to take care of tedium, and people to exercise judgement. Two people. Because everyone has an Off day once in a while.

Which is pretty much what we have.

Uuhhh, Rob -- isn't that posting a little too off-color for the forum?

Punch line from another joke about automated airplaines: "... nothing can go wrong [click] can go wrong [click] can go...."
    "... the door was ajar, and the game was afoot." Lawrence Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post

The only reason the statistics are as good as they are is through endless attention to detail.

Computers are very good with tedium. But they don't care whether they live or die.

People are very good with judgement and most definitely care whether they live or die. But they're lousy at tedium.

The ideal safe system is for computers to take care of tedium, and people to exercise judgement. Two people. Because everyone has an Off day once in a while.

^^^^^^^This!!
    Tom

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Well said.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Hey I can't wait for self driving cars.
    Then I can go back to REAL drinking.

it depends .... how much has it had to drink?

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    it depends .... how much has it had to drink?

Before?
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

I've seen the sim. Looks a bit like the Bridge of a starship. It's tempting but I just don't have the desire to do the long haul stuff, despite the $$. Plus I'd miss all my "boaty" layovers!
    I often sit in the cockpit of my boat wondering if the Delta MD88 on approach has you in the pointy end. Need to look me up on one of those "boaty" layovers.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Taking off is an option, landing is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    I often sit in the cockpit of my boat wondering if the Delta MD88 on approach has you in the pointy end. Need to look me up on one of those "boaty" layovers.
    I will. I've been trying to get one, but the 88's and 90's haven't been getting them for several months now.
    I've flown in and out of BWI, but didn't stay.

If you fly commercial very much, its very likely you have already flown on planes where the pilots were only, hopefully interested, bystanders.
    Tom L

I would not have a problem being in a completely automatic flying Airplane.

Many of the Plane crashes are caused by pilot error.