Thread: Mirror dinghy kit

Default Mirror dinghy kit

I have been thinking of buying a mirror dinghy hull kit, but the freight rates I've been quoted by Trident (the supplier of the kits) from the UK to Adelaide, South Australia seem a bit high: UKP 335 by sea, and the air freight option includes UKP 155 for the 25 min drive from the airport to my place. I know the kits are also made in Canada but their email is off air. I'm hoping someone may have some experience in this and can advise me on freight costs (maybe I just have to wear it?)

Default Re: Mirror dinghy kit

If it becomes your only option I think you have to suck this one up. It's comparable to big kit delivery costs in the US, domestically sourced and delivered. A boat somewhat compared to the Mirror in terms of size would be around $200 for shipping alone from a company that has volume on their side and has it down to IKEA sized boxes. Anything on a pallet will be much more, as would any kit from a company with less experience or has more unwieldy kits.

For a boat kit to go from the UK to Australia for that amount seems entirely reasonable from an armchair speculator like me.
    Last edited by callsign222; 08-07-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Find an old one and restore it? Even if that means dismantling and replacing panels?

I suspect your right, but they're charging $255 to bring it just from the airport to my place, IKEA (next to the airport) can deliver for $65 and I can send 3 pallets of wine to Melbourne for about $240 so I'm a little suspicious.

I've sort of done that, I like the idea of laying the keel(?) myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSim View Post
    I suspect your right, but they're charging $255 to bring it just from the airport to my place, IKEA (next to the airport) can deliver for $65 and I can send 3 pallets of wine to Melbourne for about $240 so I'm a little suspicious.
    International processing, customs, one-off pallet of wood for a single customer. The volume and economics of your single shipment is just not in your favor. You're in a corner and can't compete and are not worth anybody's time. Hence, $255.

Of course, if it's a boat you REALLY want, whats $255 in the grand scheme? How much is a new set of sails?