Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Hiring VENT

Default Re: Hiring VENT

Money, or the idea that this 'job' can develop into a career. How to instill 'ownership', without taking on partners. It's tough; IME, employees see the 'profits' they're not sharing, but not the management, risk and headaches of ownership. Joe's 'financial incentivizing' seems a good way to go - more productive, more profit share. And some folks really don't want the headaches of management. The trick - as already stated - is finding them.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    its all about money
    Not always.

I make WAY less now than when I had my last job, but it would take about $150,000,000/hour to get me through the door of that asylum for idiots.

My wife often has to offer lower wages than her competitors, but compensates by offering a better quality of life.
    Really.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    The offer is 3 month ramp up to a strait 50% I cover all expenses. We get ridiculous high ticket prices and huge tips.
    If the situation is so good, you can afford to get rid of the ramp up and offer 50% from the start. A lot of bosses make promises they have no intention of keeping.
    Life is complex.

Lets be honest, I've been in this business for a long time, the same business Joe is in, owned and managed since 1992 and worked in it as a kid before then. . .

Grooming is very hard work, its dirty, it can be dangerous, its extremely physically demanding, its loud, its wet, it stinks, you are on your feet all day long.

Beyond the grooming skill set, its takes a person with a natural affinity for dogs and dog behavior - something that really can't be easily taught or learned. It takes a long time for a person to learn to be a good groomer, it takes an even longer time for them to become fast and efficient.

Of all the jobs at my kennel/lab, kennel tech (cleaning kennels), research tech, socializer, grounds keeping, maintenance, vet tech, veterinarian; groomer is by far the hardest job and with the exception of my veterinarian, its pays the most. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-14-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Not always.

I make WAY less now than when I had my last job, but it would take about $150,000,000/hour to get me through the door of that asylum for idiots.

My wife often has to offer lower wages than her competitors, but compensates by offering a better quality of life.
    Really.

Peace,
    Robert

yea, i could make a good bit more if i moved over to the government contracting sector. but i like where i'm at and don't really want to exchange more money for drastically more headache and stress.

Grooming is very hard work, its dirty, it can be dangerous, its extremely physically demanding, its loud, its wet, it stinks, you are on your feet all day long.
    I concur with the 'stink' part. I don't have a dog, but we used to have a cat, and I'd periodically have to bring her to the groomers to get her nails clipped (I suppose we could have learned how to do it, but I was too afraid of hurting her).

Anyhow, I HATED having to go there... the smell was truly disgusting.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    If the situation is so good, you can afford to get rid of the ramp up and offer 50% from the start. A lot of bosses make promises they have no intention of keeping.
    We did that with our current star. The problem now is it's hard to incentivise & reward when you give them the whole thing at the start. Troy was with us from the one van day and he initially worked 2-3 days a week. He's performed so well we gave him his own $85,000 van and 5 days a week. Thats the incentive he deserved. Moving forward if we had another Troy I would invest in another $85,000 van for them. But I can't give Troy a raise. Yesterday was his birthday and we got him a $100 gift certificate to go to his favorite Sushi restaurant.

I'm looking for owners not ​renters
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Fring !!!!!

Candidate #4 interview 11:00 am Tomorrow - Lets see if she shows.

Showed up 15 min late but called before to say she was stuck in traffic.
    We had a 45 min interview, a few red flags which will or will not be a deal killer after 5 day training process.
    She starts training 8:00 next Monday. First flag to overcome is to show up on time, she earns points if she shows up early.

Good luck...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Showed up 15 min late but called before to say she was stuck in traffic.
    We had a 45 min interview, a few red flags which will or will not be a deal killer after 5 day training process.
    She starts training 8:00 next Monday. First flag to overcome is to show up on time, she earns points if she shows up early.
    your desperation shows

your desperation shows
    I know
    I'm fully in touch with that and it sickens me

I know
    I'm fully in touch with that and it sickens me
    Good.

"A man's gotta know his limitations."
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice