Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiring VENT

Default Re: Hiring VENT

THIRD TIME !!!! A potential hire supposed to show up this morning at 8:00 am - no call, no text, no email, no show grrrrr

I had a 30 min phone interview, she was excited, told me she is passionate about animals and is looking forward to working with us. I asked her when she was available to come in. She said Wednesday, I said great, do you have a pen and paper I'll give you our address and we will see you at 8:00 am. I even went so far as to kid with her about other candidates that no call, no text, no email, no show. I explained that the most important thing is to be on time. Yesterday at noon I politely texted her that we were looking forward to meeting her tomorrow, no text back. At 8:00 pm last night I called, it went straight to VM I said again, see you tomorrow at 8:00 pm, no response. This morning at 7:50 am I texted and called, no response. it's 9:00 Renee left at 8:30.

What do I do?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

What do I do?
    up your starting pay
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

time to build the joesocal auto groomer 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    up your starting pay
    DUDE we pay THREE TIMES THE AMOUNT OF ANY OTHER GROOMER !!!!
    I wrote a check for $1,700 last week for our current groomer.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

The first groomer we took on now makes $300 - $400 a day 5 days a week. He makes more in a day than most groomers make in a week.
    He is the GOLD standard. He's beyond dependable, trustworthy, and completely independent. He markets himself & promotes our company. He acquires new clients and re-books everyone. He gets 5 star reviews and huge tips. He keeps the van immaculate and he LOVES working with us.

Case in point his boyfriend works with the high end horse set. He parks the van outside the equestrian barn and has a running clientele he's developed. I printed up business cards for him and he hands them out to all the gated communities security at the gate. OH and he's AKC certified in sporting breeds and was a grooming instructor at a grooming school.

I'm spoiled I want more like him.
    Clone him!

What you need, Joe, is a BOMB groomer who is unhappy with their current employment situation.

You need to find someone who wants to run their own business, but doesn't want to run a business, you know? You need to find a groomer who sees the van as a tool, and not an onus. That person will build your business without you needing to fret.

Probably a stupid question, but do you do LinkedIn and all that jazz?

Peace,
    Robert

money talks bull**** walks

what were you offering these potential job candidates?

california is at record low unemployment

Ugh. I can relate... Took me over 2 yrs to find a receptionist that meets expectations (just showing up and being nice are about all that's required). Actually, she's great, but man, that was a long, painful process.

Then drop your starting pay?

Dunno what to say. People have gotten weirder & weirder. I just listed 4 interior doors with casings & decent hardware for free on Craigslist. I got 6 emails saying I'll take 'em in the first day. I replied back with my phone # & said "Call me to get directions" to all 6. 5 never replied & the 6th set up a time, blew it off, texted me 6 hours later & asked for a new time, we set it, then he blew that one off & then texted me the next day asking for a 3rd time. I said yes, but this is your last shot. He showed up an hour and a half late - right in the middle of supper. I was so tempted to say "You lose" - but I really needed to get them out of the way.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    money talks bull**** walks

what were you offering these potential job candidates?

california is at record low unemployment
    The offer is 3 month ramp up to a strait 50% I cover all expenses. We get ridiculous high ticket prices and huge tips.
    To give you an example local brick and mortar groomer makes about $600 a week if they are exceptional and work for a good shop.

Hang around Petsmart and Petco. Check out their groomers and make some offers to a couple that look promising.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    Ugh. I can relate... Took me over 2 yrs to find a receptionist that meets expectations (just showing up and being nice are about all that's required). Actually, she's great, but man, that was a long, painful process.
    First groomer we met with 7 months ago, showed up and got the job. He's absofreakingly amazing. No seriously, AMAZING. He showed up for the interview early, texted me from the parking lot 20 minutes early and said he would wait. Called all his references and they gave him glowing recommendations. One even said if it doesn't work out send him back to us. Three months in, he was booking his own clients. TOTALLY trusting, hard working, honest. He is the main reason we expanded. We just hit it out of the park on the first swing.

It was his birthday yesterday we went and got him a $100 gift certificate to his favorite sushi restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Hang around Petsmart and Petco. Check out their groomers and make some offers to a couple that look promising.
    I did that - one took my card ............... never called.

I'm freaking desperate. If we can't hire we can't grow.

Birds of a feather. Does the rock star have friends in the business?
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Birds of a feather. Does the rock star have friends in the business?
    Asked and asked. He's from Colorado, long commute

We are in a major hiring phase this year and next.
    Our North American group was about 10 people and we are adding 22 more.
    Our worldwide group was about 70 people and we are hiring about 40 total worldwide.

So far in North America we have hired 5 out of the 20 and 2 more will be on board next week.
    We also stole 2 guys from other parts of the company.

The 5 new hires are mostly young with less than 3 years experience.
    I just spent a few days giving them some remote (skype) training on some of our software tools.
    We made 20 training videos from these classes so they can review them in the future.

So far they seem to be a good fit with the jobs they will be filling.

Have Rene do it. You're scaring them off.

Have Rene do it. You're scaring them off.
    I can come off a little Joe Pesci on the phone But she's grooming, I run the business and they are going to have to deal with me.

hire a dope fiend, bitch

Dude Pinkman was hard working and devoted to Mr. White - I could live with that kinda work effort

- WHAT'S MY NAME ???? NO, NO, NO WHATS MY NAME ??

1D2C6FD7-0292-464B-8282-D0E1EC60B812.jpg

Dude Pinkman was hard working and devoted to Mr. White - I could live with that kinda work effort

- WHAT'S MY NAME ???? NO, NO, NO WHATS MY NAME ??

1D2C6FD7-0292-464B-8282-D0E1EC60B812.jpg
    Is your name on LinkedIn and those like? My wife uses those professional resume/classified board deals often to find employees.
    Some of them are human groomers. Really. Human groomers act the same way, by the by. So do regular employees, it seems.

Who wants to work when you can be famous? Pssssh.

Peace,
    Robert

Change your name to Heisenberg!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I have been an independent contractor for the past 25 years.... for the first 17 or 18 years, I was an S corp... I dropped my incorporation when I became a partner in a startup that failed, and since then, have been a 1099 guy.

There's really no way to compare the difference between being an employee and an independent contractor, because each of them have plusses and minuses. Depending on expertise and reputation, an independent contractor can gross WAYYYY more than a salary, and still come out ahead after paying for his/her own benefits... but that only occurs if they can book the majority of their time. More likely, an IC trades off gross dollars for more time off, and more flexibility, than a regular job could provide.

Some professional who is employed for a long time, in a good company, can do every bit as well as a fully booked contractor... and get all the benefits, besides.... but the concept of 'job security' is beginning to fade, and even a terrific, well respected employee with a long career can find himself out of a job... and, due to salary demands, unable to find another one.

In my own experience, I prefer the independent contractor route. Some years, I gross far more than I would have earned as a salary... other years, I end up taking a lot of time off. Sometimes, I have to turn work away... other times, I could spend up to several months searching for a contract. If you do it long enough, you develop confidence in your ability to attract clients.

Four months ago, I had decided to fully retire... but since then, I was offered a contract that I turned down, agreed to help the company with design reviews, and on Monday, I picked up a new contract to do some simple, enjoyable work, at top dollar rates. I have found that I just can't do nothing, and haven't thought of any other stuff that really interests me all that much (please don't suggest anything! )
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Norman wanna learn how to groom ?

Hahaha! Norman, I think yer doing it about right! As long as it's fun.... and the money doesn't hurt, either.

Joe - sent this thread to my daughter. If you get a call from a nice gal calling from Oklahoma - don't scare her off!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

THIRD TIME !!!! A potential hire supposed to show up this morning at 8:00 am - no call, no text, no email, no show grrrrr

What do I do?
    I'll risk disparagement by saying that very likely a good part of the problem is that your labor pool is composed of Californians.

Raise your rates.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

It's just a numbers game. I ran a division with 550 casuals - and did it with 4 full-timers, including myself. Interviewing and rewarding the performers was key to it. Reliable folks were rewarded. Unreliables....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

A local girl here, 22 is working 3 jobs in a rural area. Overnight shifts in various convenience stores in different towns, a mobile hairdresser for the elderly in their own homes, driving a bus on sundays taking those same customers to church, lunch, a tour or whatever is needed.
    She's paying off her own house, still has time to surf, says that her contemporaries, especially the males, don't want to work.

She's an exception. When I first bought a property I had worked building a mining railway in a very remote place. Long hours, very hot, payed a motser. But the house was cheap, I had an idea where I was going to be at 35-40. Not so most young men now. Little chance of home ownership ever. Not good marriage prospects, but there are jobs and increasingly so according to published data, it's just that wages have stalled and expenses haven't.

Got called into the chief pilots office re the afore mentioned Copilot. Seems I'm not the only one who's had an issue with him. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets sacked.
    Turns out he's not an entirely isolated case. We've had a surprising number get fired. It's not that they can't fly, rather its always about attitude.
    One answered a cel phone call in the simulator during training. Seriously in new hire training! When confronted about it, you guessed it. Attitude.
    Several others for not being able to report to work while on call. They were more than 2 hours from the airport. Simple stuff. Just stupid.
    Too many participation trophies at soccer camp? Being told how special they are?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Not good marriage prospects
    i thought the positive sheila ratio was one of the few bright spots of living in australia. . .

not so?

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Got called into the chief pilots office re the afore mentioned Copilot. Seems I'm not the only one who's had an issue with him. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets sacked.
    Turns out he's not an entirely isolated case. We've had a surprising number get fired. It's not that they can't fly, rather its always about attitude.
    One answered a cel phone call in the simulator during training. Seriously in new hire training! When confronted about it, you guessed it. Attitude.
    Several others for not being able to report to work while on call. They were more than 2 hours from the airport. Simple stuff. Just stupid.
    Too many participation trophies at soccer camp? Being told how special they are?
    We find it astounding 'cause we're old pharts. To many these days, a call or text has to be dealt with now - not 10 min. later. I think it's all about lack of real world experience & today's "always have to be in touch" state of mind. I know teachers who've had to really get on student's cases about not answering calls/texts in class & the students are truly surprised: "But I have to reply to this text now! It can't wait." & then complain that the teacher is just out of touch & doesn't get how the world works nowadays.

I know I want a surgeon working on me to stop & answer texts/calls - just as I want a pilot to do the same during a landing...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

a business consultant round here talks about the difference between "renting" and "owning". Your trouble, Joe, is that you "own" the business, and the prospective employees are "renting" a job. Nobody is gonna care about it as much as an owner - it's your dream, not theirs.

Rethink a bit, and see if you can figure a way to make the position you offer into something a wonderful employee would want to "own". How would it help them satisfy their dreams, to do awesome work with you and Renee?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Not QUITE the same thing, but...

He didn't think that anyone who'd work in that area would even care...

Some people really have strange ideas.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Rethink a bit, and see if you can figure a way to make the position you offer into something a wonderful employee would want to "own". How would it help them satisfy their dreams, to do awesome work with you and Renee?
    its all about money