Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiring VENT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hiring VENT

So a new groomer candidate was supposed to show up this morning at 8:00 am for a ride along with Renee - No call no show. Texted her this morning at 8:10 ETA ? Finally at 8:30 I texted her "Sorry, this is not going to work out. Please lose my number" YAY WINNING

This candidate CONTACTED ME FOR A JOB. Over the course of a week we had a phone conversation, where I told her we run a mobile grooming business and being on time is EVERYTHING!!! Then a dozen texts were she LIED saying she emailed her resume TWICE. Then as soon as yesterday afternoon was asking what she should bring for TODAY. I said bring yourself, and your tools for inspection at 8:00 am sharp. No call, no text, no email, no show grrrrr

Thanks for letting me vent.

Ahhh ok Ella thanks ........ mmmmmm better

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Hiring VENT

It sure sounds like you're better off without her. Better she screws up before being hired than after.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    It sure sounds like you're better off without her. Better she screws up before being hired than after.
    Ya know 2 minutes into the first phone call I had a "feeling" I told Renee. She said ahhh come on give her a chance you're always so negative.

We have a pretty good training system.

Day one show up on time 99% of what I need to know is in that one thing
    Bring your tools let me see what you have and how you maintain and keep them
    Go out with Renee and just observe do nothing and I tell Renee let them "Chat" listen for any red flags.

Day two, go out with Troy ( great guy working with us ) same thing just watch and let Troy listen for any red flags.

Day three, Assist Renee and show a little of what you got, groom one dog. Drive and follow directions. Make a transaction or two.

Day four, Renee sits in the passenger seat and candidate does everything with Renee and me for support if he/she feels overwhelmed.

Day five, they go out with me I watch and they do everything. Hardest day they will ever have

If they make it through those five days with no red flags they get to earn more money then they probably have ever earned being a groomer, and I will bend over backwards to make sure they are well cared for and back them 110%

What you need, Joe, is a BOMB groomer who is unhappy with their current employment situation.

You need to find someone who wants to run their own business, but doesn't want to run a business, you know? You need to find a groomer who sees the van as a tool, and not an onus. That person will build your business without you needing to fret.

Probably a stupid question, but do you do LinkedIn and all that jazz?

Peace,
    Robert

She saved you the trouble.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

You dodged a bullet. Be glad and celebrate.

Geez. What an ogre. Poor girl was probably just sleepy.

So sorry to hear, Joe.

Peace,
    Robert

One of the main reasons I'm now a one-man shop, with the occasional helper or two, is the difficulty of finding and keeping competent, reliable help. It's a tough one these days.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    One of the main reasons I'm now a one-man shop, with the occasional helper or two, is the difficulty of finding and keeping competent, reliable help. It's a tough one these days.
    What do you pay for such help?
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

We hired a new receptionist last week.... our manager 'had a feeling' about her, but decided to give her a chance. She'd been a teller at a bank for 7 years, but - they gave her nearly 3X more vacation than what we offer. First 3 days, she left early - and on the 3rd day, at 11:00 AM! She had 'other commitments'.

We're looking again.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    The first groomer we took on now makes $300 - $400 a day 5 days a week. He makes more in a day than most groomers make in a week.
    He is the GOLD standard. He's beyond dependable, trustworthy, and completely independent. He markets himself & promotes our company. He acquires new clients and re-books everyone. He gets 5 star reviews and huge tips. He keeps the van immaculate and he LOVES working with us.

Case in point his boyfriend works with the high end horse set. He parks the van outside the equestrian barn and has a running clientele he's developed. I printed up business cards for him and he hands them out to all the gated communities security at the gate. OH and he's AKC certified in sporting breeds and was a grooming instructor at a grooming school.

I'm spoiled I want more like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    The first groomer we took on now makes $300 - $400 a day 5 days a week. He makes more in a day than most groomers make in a week.
    He is the GOLD standard. He's beyond dependable, trustworthy, and completely independent. He markets himself & promotes our company. He acquires new clients and re-books everyone. He gets 5 star reviews and huge tips. He keeps the van immaculate and he LOVES working with us.

Case in point his boyfriend works with the high end horse set. He parks the van outside the equestrian barn and has a running clientele he's developed. I printed up business cards for him and he hands them out to all the gated communities security at the gate. OH and he's AKC certified in sporting breeds and was a grooming instructor at a grooming school.

Will you put me up for a few weeks while I learn the ropes? If that's what you're paying, I'll move.

~seanz

At least she saved you the cost of firing her & paying her unemployment!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    At least she saved you the cost of firing her & paying her unemployment!
    1099 independent contractors - I'll even go through the process of making them an S corp or LLC and write checks directly to their company. Keeps everything clean. They have write offs and we have a IC contract no muss no fuss.

1099 independent contractors - I'll even go through the process of making them an S corp or LLC and write checks directly to their company. Keeps everything clean. They have write offs and we have a IC contract no muss no fuss.
    Be careful to dot all your i's and cross all your t's on that one. The IRS is cracking down on firms that don't meet the strictest limitations on such relationships.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Be careful to dot all your i's and cross all your t's on that one. The IRS is cracking down on firms that don't meet the strictest limitations on such relationships.
    Bookkeeper, CPA, Contracts & Lawyers keep it all legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal)
    The job sounded pretty good until you said he was going to be an independent contractor.

Deduct employer taxes. Deduct cost of business insurance on the van. Deduct health insurance. Deduct vacation time. I can understand a person thinking that being an independent contractor rathan an employee was not the deal they expected. Explains why one might not show up or even call.

But you will find someone.
    Life is complex.

That's good money, how much of that is tips?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Clone him!

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    My approach was this: start them fairly low, with the understanding that they'd be getting a review after one month. If things were working out well at that point - if they were as competent as they had represented themselves to be - they'd get bumped up to market rate. Six months later - another review. At that point, they could get up to 20% over market rate, entirely depending upon their performance, suitability. Yearly reviews after that, with growth and dedication rewarded. My best foreman made substantially over market rate for similar foreman positions, as he was a wizard. I tended to keep folks at a bit over market rate, as I wasn't in a position to offer health insurance, paid vacations, etc. But, being small, we could work with people if they needed time off, were sick, wanted to shift their hours later or earlier, etc.

In hard numbers - I just advertised for a FT temporary helper, with some shop experience - as one of mine is off sailing for the summer and fall, and quoted a rate of $18 - 22 DOE.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

My approach was this: start them fairly low, with the understanding that they'd be getting a review after one month. If things were working out well at that point - if they were as competent as they had represented themselves to be - they'd get bumped up to market rate. Six months later - another review. At that point, they could get up to 20% over market rate, entirely depending upon their performance, suitability. Yearly reviews after that, with growth and dedication rewarded. My best foreman made substantially over market rate for similar foreman positions, as he was a wizard. I tended to keep folks at a bit over market rate, as I wasn't in a position to offer health insurance, paid vacations, etc. But, being small, we could work with people if they needed time off, were sick, wanted to shift their hours later or earlier, etc.

In hard numbers - I just advertised for a FT temporary helper, with some shop experience - as one of mine is off sailing for the summer and fall, and quoted a rate of $18 - 22 DOE.
    That's sweet Dave, I'd work at that rate for a few weeks to prove myself for sure.

~seanz

My approach was this: start them fairly low, with the understanding that they'd be getting ...
    My theory is that we pay people from the start what we want them to be worth. It is up to us to get them up to speed.

It costs a lot for us to find suitable people. So we don't cut corners on their compensation. We are sort of laid back and let everyone set their own schedule where possible.
    Life is complex.

I was thinking the same thing...

'I've got awesome numchuk skills.... bowhunting skills... computer-hacking skills'

And I'm imminently trainable... just ask swmbo!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    I was thinking the same thing...

'I've got awesome numchuk skills.... bowhunting skills... computer-hacking skills'

And I'm imminently trainable... just ask swmbo!
    Hey, George, give me some of your tots.

Peace,
    Robert

"I thought I wanted a career... it turns out I only wanted a check." - Multiple Millennials
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

^^ Amazing! George, how do people like this stay employed anywhere? I can't believe this was the first time for her.

Um, dude, your toupee looks like an animal.....
    Elect a clown expect a circus

We have been trying to augment our two person sales force with a third person for months now. The lack of professionalism of would-be applicants is staggering. Perhaps they need to have a mandatory course on professionalism in high school or college. It is amazing to me.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Not QUITE the same thing, but...

Years ago we were looking for a "conduit" guy (we sole electrical to contractors and had "bulb-heads" (like me) who were versed in the fixtures, lamps, light sources, layouts, etc, and "pipers", who were experts in panels, boxes, breakers, conduit, wiring, code, etc.

Guy answered the ad, sounded personable and "knew the territory" of hardware and wire for sure, asked just about what we had wanted to start someone at, was new to the area so no baggage... Told him to be at the office 0830 on Monday to talk to the two owners and me.

0815, and I was looking for him. (Early is "on-time", "On-time" is late.... etc)

0830 and I was a little disappointed that he hadn't shown up.

0900, 0930... Maybe he had car trouble? Fell ill?

Called his number, expecting his wife to answer and HE picked up.

He'd been "past the office at 0800, but the neighborhood scared him and he was afraid to park his car."

So, why not call and let us know there was a problem?

He didn't think that anyone who'd work in that area would even care... (MY section did 13 mil that year... real slum stuff. Conduit did nearly 26 mil.)

That's not the kisser.... Four days later one of our competitors called for a reference for this clown, who had applied to them and given us as one of his three.

Last I heard he finally got a job in Minneapolis.

Moral? Even when you think they're solid gold, they usually turn out to be mostly pyrites.
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Not QUITE the same thing, but...

He didn't think that anyone who'd work in that area would even care...

Some people really have strange ideas.
    Will

In Australia we have a process where to receive unemployment benefits, you have to apply for a certain number of jobs every week. Total waste of time for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    In Australia we have a process where to receive unemployment benefits, you have to apply for a certain number of jobs every week. Total waste of time for all involved.
    Ooooh! Eric Blair redux?
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Wait till the IC takes off with the clients........
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That's the drill here in the States. Completely silly, too, in the age of Craig's List, where half the ads got Butkus but an email address. Learn to print the ads ... lest you get dinged for lack of sufficient records. And have to pay back lots of "unearned" benefits.

Don't ask me how I know this.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    That's the drill here in the States. Completely silly, too, in the age of Craig's List, where half the ads got Butkus but an email address. Learn to print the ads ... lest you get dinged for lack of sufficient records. And have to pay back lots of "unearned" benefits.

Don't ask me how I know this.
    Quite a few years ago, I went on unemployment. After about 10 days I realized it was easier to get a job, so I did. My caseworker was rather taken aback at how quickly I got one and even more so when I explained why.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green