Thread: So what was the first woodworking tool you made for yourself?

Default So what was the first woodworking tool you made for yourself?

Mine were several whittling knives ground out from power hacksaw blades, heavy rubber tubing from the milking shed plus masking tape for the handles. I'd have been about 12 or 13, still have those. I ground them with a hand crank grinder by the way, dad was fine with me having sharp stuff but wouldn't let me use his bench grinder. I can understand that now but at the time I was very annoyed.
    I've been making tools ever since, cabinet scrapers from big ( 3 or 4 inch wide) bandsaw blades, round and hollow sole planes and moulding planes with irons made from old horse hoof files (good steel in those) special spanners ( the cylinder head bolts on a DBD32 BSA motorbike are really hard to get at) shaped chisels, bent files and so on.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: So what was the first woodworking tool you made for yourself?

When I was maybe 8 or 9, our mob was building a raft. I decided we needed a mallet. I used my (luckily, just sharpened) pocket knife to rough out a head from some driftwood, ream a tapered hole for the handle, taper the handle and cut a slot for a rough wedge. Like many things in my woodworking career... I thought my genius self had invented the 'wedged tenon' joint, only to discover later that it had been around for a very long time. Then I drove a salvaged nail thru it. By that time, the rest of the gang has just about finished our raft. But I was able, later, to lash it all together much better using some staples discovered in an old fish warehouse, some salvaged wire rope, and my trusty mallet. I cherished that rude contraption, and used it often - until it finally died.

But that wasn't much of a tool. Caveman crude. My first 'real' tool was using an old scraper blank to create a scratch stock for finalizing a delicate custom molding profile. That was a dozen years later, for my very first paying customer - my woodworking instructor - who introduced me to scratch stocks. My second year in the program, I was his 'shop assistant'. He was kind enough to commission me to build a cherry cradle for his first grandchild. It was my introduction to the lathe as well. And raised panels too. And pricing one's work.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

50 years ago I made my own custom knot eraser. Several variations later I still use it regularly.

Probably a mallet. I have also made a draw knife for a mate, a boatbuilders bevel and converted a woody jack plane into a spar plane.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

At about 12 I made a lot of tiny knives by cold forging some very hard 3'' nails on a bit of railway line Dad had. Filed edges on them and made handles from wraps of Sellotape. I sold them at school.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I made a wooden sledge for timber framing back in the day and a couple of carving mallets that my mentor insisted were mauls.
    The only one of any consequence is a wood bodied rabbet plane. The iron came from a broken wood bodied plane in a box of old tools from my uncles basement. I traced it o to a block of maple left over from building my workbench.
    The iron is very crude and appears to be forged. It takes and holds an edge beautifully and I use it when the job is too big for the 93 and too small for the #10.

4' x 8' work bench pieced together from the scrap piles (and maybe a piece or two from the new stock) of newly constructed houses in the neighborhood at about age 10. Thanks for the wood, Mrs. Kennedy...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

jogglestick

Hmmm, ...... maybe also a jogglestick.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    jogglestick
    Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Hmmm, ...... maybe also a jogglestick.
    Well... yes... that's a tool.

But you boys probably shouldn't be talking about it in polite company. Or even @ WBF <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

clamps

I made a Krenov style plane, but with a handle.

Later in Boat school I make a maple mallet.

I used both when building my boat.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

A Mallet and a marking gauge with some neat little brass inlay, never could find some good thumbscrews in Aus to make a couple more of those marking gauges.
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot