Thread: Wallpaper steamer

Default Wallpaper steamer

We had the whole setup years ago steam box, a beer keg, and a big outdoors burner. Stuff was sitting in my basement for years. I now have a boat to restore and I'll be needing to bend white oak or ash.

So by time I do all that all over again should I just get a wallpaper steamer? Oh, and yes I'm aware of the plastic bag method although may not use it.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Wallpaper steamer

I'm just south of you in Woodbury nj. Paddle my SOF Kayak out of my yard on Woodbury creek to the river. I recently made two trout nets out of ash. Got a 10.00 wallpaper steamer off Craigs, piped it into a pvc tube and bent away. Worked great. Not sure how big a piece of stock it would do but that thing does put out some steam. It's worth a try.

B14 thank you! That was exactly what I wanted to know!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

I've bent both ash and oak (European) using a wallpaper stripper and a length of ground drainpipe. You just need to keep an eye on the water level, as the tanks aren't very big. I've since been given a second stripper, so when I next need to steam large quantities (I have a lot of cracked ribs to replace), I'll run them in tandem, sequentially.
    Nick