Thread: We need a UN agency to preserve international heritage sites

Default We need a UN agency to preserve international heritage sites

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news...cid=spartanntp

The thought that the iconic Notre Dame cathedral in Paris is in dire need of repair and that there does not seem to be the money nor will in France to pony up the money is disturbing to this art school graduate.

For sites like this, treasures of all humanity, should there not be an internationally funded agency to preserve and conserve such sites throughout the world? Jeesh, just tax the bloody MIC a bit to come up with the cash. It might take $114 million to properly bring Notre Dame up to snuff. What's that, one fighter plane fer crissakes? Please.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Default Re: We need a UN agency to preserve international heritage sites

I can imagine given recent history that public money to preserve religious buildings would be rather thin on the ground regardless of their cultural and architectural significance.

Not a great example. The church is stinking rich.
    Now if you had sited the Taj Mahal. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...udpack-tourism
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

the u.n doesn't have enough power nor money to even attempt to intercede in places like the central afrikan govt or south sudan on the behalf of innocents dying and you want them to save a catholic church building in paris???

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news...cid=spartanntp

The thought that the iconic Notre Dame cathedral in Paris is in dire need of repair and that there does not seem to be the money nor will in France to pony up the money is disturbing to this art school graduate.

For sites like this, treasures of all humanity, should there not be an internationally funded agency to preserve and conserve such sites throughout the world? Jeesh, just tax the bloody MIC a bit to come up with the cash. It might take $114 million to properly bring Notre Dame up to snuff. What's that, one fighter plane fer crissakes? Please.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Why, yes, Paul I do. There have been poor dying people throughout history. There is only one Notre Dame. Or the Pyramids. Or Angkor Wat. Etc. Shouldn't these sites rise above politics?
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    It might take $114 million to properly bring Notre Dame up to snuff. What's that, one fighter plane fer crissakes? Please.
    The place is a money maker...

"At over 850 years old, the Notre Dame Cathedral sees about 12 million tourists per year and is notably one of France’s most visited sites. "

Charge an extra $5.00 a ticket and in 2 years it's covered.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, the big Cathedrals in France aren't Catholic buildings anymore, but civic monuments. Owned by the people of France as part of their heritage. There are still folks who worship in the buildings, but they don't own them. And haven't for quite a long time.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

^ Correct.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

I find the concern over a French Church, which has a viable income source, a bit overdone.

Here's a piece of history, built in the 1200's, that has nearly no protection...

Possibly doomed to the same fate as the Buddhas of Bamiyan. Even if the minaret survives, artifacts in the immediate area have been scavenged.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

We were there maybe five or six or seven years ago and I don't recall a entrance fee. I'd have no problem paying one though. I'm not a believer by any means, but I can spend hours wandering around religious buildings being amazed and awed, in a good way, by faith as expressed in architecture and art.

To respond to Gerarddm's point about the unique nature of Notre Dame and indeed other revered religious sites.I would favour leaving the upkeep to the organisations that use them.My position crystallised when I visited Mont St Michel a couple of years ago;as much as I admired the vision of the architects that designed them and the skill of the builders who made them real, I felt unable to step off the causeway and enter the precincts.The reason being that the edifice represented the result of subjugating the population and extorting the wherewithal to build the monument to the deity in question.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    To respond to Gerarddm's point about the unique nature of Notre Dame and indeed other revered religious sites.I would favour leaving the upkeep to the organisations that use them.My position crystallised when I visited Mont St Michel a couple of years ago;as much as I admired the vision of the architects that designed them and the skill of the builders who made them real, I felt unable to step off the causeway and enter the precincts.The reason being that the edifice represented the result of subjugating the population and extorting the wherewithal to build the monument to the deity in question.
    I think that you are worrying too much.
    https://www.durhamworldheritagesite....l/construction
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.