Thread: Roller cover selection for roll & tip paint finish

Default Roller cover selection for roll & tip paint finish

Hi all,

I was getting ready to order up a case of my favorite roller cover for laminating with epoxy or other resins. It is Wooster's "The Applicator", part number R245 or R-245. I really like this roller, it has a really short bristle, 1/8" and I've found actually helps remove air when doing a wet layup, even before getting the bubble rollers.

But, I've never done a roll and tip finish with a catalyzed urethane/polyurethane or similar. Has anybody ever used "The Applicator" for rolling finish before brush tipping? I think the norm is to use a foam roller.

If I just go buy foam roller covers, would you all recommend really thin, l've found smooth surface foam rollers from 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" "nap". What thickness foam roller cover would you recommend?

Are there brands or models that people can either recommend I try, or even more importantly avoid!

Thanks!
    PT

Default Re: Roller cover selection for roll & tip paint finish

I use the foam mini rollers from Benjamin Moore.
    I think the size of bubbles (fineness?) in the foam is more important than the thickness of the foam.
    Smaller is better and use a light touch.
    Contrary to popular practice,I sometimes don't use a brush except for cutting in at the edges.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Wooster's Tiz Foam Roller is great for roll and tip.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Yes you should be concerned - some catalyzed finishes will destroy that foam roller you were so happy with for your single part products. In seattle fisheries sells a candy stripe roller - I'm sorry I can't recall the name - specifically for catalyzed finishes, not cheap. You might get away with the usual foam for your two part product, or you may not. Short nap, always. Epoxy is not as hard on foam as some catalyzed finishes.

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies. Eric, I think the candy stripe is also a Wooster, # R209.

Yeadon, I think I'd be afraid to use the Tiz except with an alkyd enamel. But, Wooster does make a 3/16" foam cover called ProTiz that has a phenolic core like both Candy Strip and The Applicator that they say is also good for use with urethanes. ProTiz is R265.

I'm going to order (Medford, OR has really poor sources - it's not like being back in Ballard!) a box of applicators and a couple of candy stripe and protiz. I think we used the candy strip when I was at Seaview Marine for blister repair, back when that was a big thing in the 90s. Never had to roll and tip back then 'cause we had dedicated guys that would hose on Sterling or Awlgrip, etc.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Interesting that both of the other recommended covers were Wooster.

Next question - though the need is a bit out on the calendar... What paint do you guys like now? What seems to be forgiving and flattens well. (Heck, while I'm dreaming - applies itself, cures only when you're ready and they pay you to use it! )

PT
    A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar. Mark Twain

I rarely use catalyzed topcoats. Brightsides out of habit. All these marine products flow well. Nearly everybody has a parallel product line. PreCoat primer over clear sealer over bare wood, Interlux 404 or 2000E is a safer bet over resin, prior to topcoat. Discovered recently that the Pettit flattening agent is easier to use than the Interlux product.