Thread: 40 Years Ago...

Default 40 Years Ago...

...this month, the magnificent Voyager Spacecraft began their journey across the Solar System and into interstellar space. Here are some of the
    loyal engineers still steering the Voyagers across space. (LINK)

The full-scale Voyager model at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.
    Photo: GRAEME MITCHELL FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES

The Farthest promo trailer (LINK)

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: 40 Years Ago...

I didn't know they still had control over it. I thought it was more like a note in a bottle.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Take THAT heliosphere! Ha. You can't hold us!

I use Voyager to explain space and the distances. That little boom box has been screaming through our solar system for 40 years, slingshotting along snapping photos, and it is JUST NOW reaching the edge of the sun's influence.

No way we're flying meat bodies to another world...

Peace,
    Vger

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    I didn't know they still had control over it. I thought it was more like a note in a bottle.
    You're thinking of Voyager 2, the first one.

Peace,
    Robert

Voyager 1 has a message from Kurt Waldhiem, shouldn't we send a retraction.

here's the latest image of it i could find

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    here's the latest image of it i could find

Paul VerHoeven has apologized for making Showgirls. Twice. I think it's about time that someone apologize for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Paul VerHoeven has apologized for making Showgirls. Twice. I think it's about time that someone apologize for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

aw c'mon.... while a little cheesy, i like the idea of voyager coming back to us after hundreds of years and multiple interactions with other intelligent civilizations

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    aw c'mon.... while a little cheesy, i like the idea of voyager coming back to us after hundreds of years and multiple interactions with other intelligent civilizations

I liked the story, but the wrapper that it came in was a real dud imho. It's my least favorite of all of the Trek movies.
    Nosce te ipsum

I almost started a thread yesterday about the Curiosity rover on mars, 5 years exploring this week, 3 years past its mission parameters, and could go another 5. The drive train/tires are expected to fail before the power plant fades out.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/fiv...away-touchdown
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

I liked the story, but the wrapper that it came in was a real dud imho. It's my least favorite of all of the Trek movies.

it's also my least favorite, but a neat concept.

Does the new Presidential Science Advisor say that the Voyager program is a hoax, too?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Well, I considered the new Star Trek with Chris Pine to be the apology they owed me for Star Trek the motion Picture. But I do like Wrath of Khan and Star Trek: Into Darkness as equally good films. The plot in Into Darkness isn't as good, but Benedict Cumberbatch seems like a colder, more calculating Khan that Ricardo was. But that isn't a knock, I love both of the Khan movies, along with the TOS episode.

I think it's about time that someone apologize for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    wtf???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

What an epic story.

Only three missions heading out of the solar system. New Horizons got the fast track off of Earth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...e_Solar_System

Planetary exploration probes Edit
    Pioneer 10 – Launched in 1972, flew past Jupiter in 1973. Contact lost in January 2003 and is heading in the direction of Aldebaran (65 light years away) in Taurus.
    Pioneer 11 – Launched in 1973, flew past Jupiter in 1974 and Saturn in 1979. Contact lost in November 1995. The spacecraft is headed toward the constellation of Aquila (The Eagle), northwest of the constellation of Sagittarius. Barring incident, Pioneer 11 will pass near one of the stars in the constellation in about 4 million years.[1]
    Voyager 2 – Launched in August 1977, flew past Jupiter in 1979, Saturn in 1981, Uranus in 1986, and Neptune in 1989. Probe has (depending on the source) not passed the heliosheath, but is still active.
    Voyager 1 – Launched in September 1977, flew past Jupiter in 1979 and Saturn in 1980, making a special close approach to Saturn's moon Titan. Probe passed the heliopause on 25 August 2012 to enter interstellar space,[2] and is still active.
    New Horizons – Launched in 2006, probe made flyby of Jupiter in 2007, made a flyby of Pluto on 14 July 2015. It is currently headed towards a flyby of the Kuiper belt object 2014 MU69 as part of the Kuiper Belt Extended Mission (KEM). That rendezvous will occur on 1 January 2019.[3]
    Although other probes were launched first, Voyager 1 was able to achieve a higher speed and has overtaken all others. Voyager 1 overtook Voyager 2 a few months after launch, on 19 December 1977.[4] It overtook Pioneer 11 some time in the late 1980s, and then Pioneer 10—becoming the probe farthest from Earth—on February 17, 1998.[5]

Voyager 2 is also moving faster than the probes launched before it, and thus overtook Pioneer 11 in 1997 and will overtake Pioneer 10 sometime in 2021.

New Horizons will also likely pass the Pioneer probes, but will need many years to do so. It will not overtake Pioneer 11 until ~2082 and will not overtake Pioneer 10 until ~2130. Barring some unforeseen gravity assist it will never overtake the Voyagers.

The only objects to date to be launched directly into a solar escape trajectory were the New Horizons spacecraft, its third stage, and the two de-spin masses. The New Horizons Centaur (second) stage is not escaping; it is in a 2.83-year heliocentric (solar) orbit.[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Horizons

New Horizons has been called "the fastest spacecraft ever launched"[170] because it left Earth at 16.26 kilometers per second (58,536 km/h; 36,373 mph), faster than any other spacecraft to date.[171][172] It is also the first spacecraft launched directly into a solar escape trajectory, which requires an approximate speed while near Earth of 16.5 km/s (59,000 km/h; 37,000 mph),[a] plus additional delta-v to cover air and gravity drag, all to be provided by the launch vehicle.

However, it is not the fastest spacecraft to leave the Solar System. As of July 2017, this record is held by Voyager 1, traveling at 16.989 km/s (61,160 km/h; 38,003 mph) relative to the Sun.[173] Voyager 1 attained greater hyperbolic excess velocity from gravitational slingshots by Jupiter and Saturn than New Horizons. When New Horizons reaches the distance of 100 AU, it will be travelling at about 13 km/s (47,000 km/h; 29,000 mph), around 4 km/s (14,000 km/h; 8,900 mph) slower than Voyager 1 at that distance.[174] Other spacecraft, such as the Helios probes, can also be measured as the fastest objects, because of their orbital speed relative to the Sun at perihelion: 68.7 km/s (247,000 km/h; 154,000 mph) for Helios-B. Because they remain in solar orbit, their specific orbital energy relative to the Sun is lower than New Horizons and other artificial objects escaping the Solar System.
    Last edited by LeeG; 08-04-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    wtf???
    It just seemed like a recycled story to me, to be honest.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Does the new Presidential Science Advisor say that the Voyager program is a hoax, too?
    Of course it is...... That stuff could never pass the Van Allen belts..... NASA
    prolly has them tucked away somewhere just belching out bullsh!t........
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented