Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Adventure Ride

Default Re: Adventure Ride

Fuel stop, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Fuel stop, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Hey, don't complain... at least its in glass... and it's probably petrol. When you buy it in plastic... or out of an open drum... and you know there's a good chance that it's 'watered down' with home-made alcohol, it gets "interesting". Note that the level in the bottle is always below the full measure too

Fueling up in Timor Leste - yeah, that's petrol in the open drum.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

The guys in Asia with fuel-injected bikes hate this sort of stuff.... although, funnily enough, the only guy I know who struck trouble with clogged injectors was an American, name of Noah, in Australia. He's a resourceful bloke and figured out how to blow it clean using the bike.

This was on the Ho Chi Minh Trail, in the wet season. Fuel gets scarce in some places.... as they can't get it in to the villages.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Can't say that I've ever seen a motorcyclist pulled over in Hell before.
    But if you did, I'm sure you'd loan'em twenty bills. And they would be grateful.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

A couple of mates have just started an adventure ride in the Americas. Flew into Canada... first stop was Vancouver Island. Post just now says something about gold river. They are doing Alaska to Patagonia, or something like that. Six months. Budget is around $50k each.

50K.....is that US or Ozzy dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Don't recall now. Either way, it's not a cheap trip. I guess that includes the two-way airfreight of the bikes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    A couple of mates have just started an adventure ride in the Americas. Flew into Canada... first stop was Vancouver Island. Post just now says something about gold river. They are doing Alaska to Patagonia, or something like that. Six months. Budget is around $50k each.

Wait. Are they riding across America, or are they rising across Canada. Hehe.
    That sounds a thrilling trip.

One of the rabbit holes those KLR videos lead me down was a kid who did the Alaska-Patagonia ride on a KLR. Some of the footage of the riding in SA is amazing!

Me? Shoot, I'll be excited to just get across plain old US of America again.

Peace,
    Robert

Shoot, it could be 50,000 Monopoly, and I'd still need a loan.

What a great trip, though, eh?

Peace,
    Robert

All the time expense comes up, i keep thinking of Ed March. Beware langauge......

All the time expense comes up, i keep thinking of Ed March. Beware langauge......

That was as well written as the original was well acted. Brilliant and super funny.

Peace,
    Robert

Found the video I saw. I'm sure this didn't cost 50g. Well, I'm pretty sure.

Right around 1:45 there is a cool riverside trail/walk that looks super fun.

Peace,
    Robert

Me?

I am going up to the trees, dang it. Thursday, it will have to be. Hopefully my new, longer shifter will be here by then. I had to order it from the shop. Meh.

I'm going to take a different route, this time, one I know, for sure. Really. Hehe. A more pedestrian way to go, but I won't miss the trees.

I'm already planning to go back to the road I just rode. Ahem. I'm gonna take my buddy, who has a real dirt bike, and we're gonna follow that road to the end. I believe it will run into Yosemite. We shall see.
    I'll take more pictures, next time, of the actual trail the road becomes. It was quite fun, if non technical.

800 plus miles and I'm starting to come to terms. There are some changes I want to make to personalize the fit, and improve the off road protection (real case guard, bark busters) and function (metal pegs, higher bars/risers). The bike is very functional, I think, and the service access has been great. These screws are some such like IJS or something, so frearson and Phillips bits slip. As I remove the screws and bolts, one by one, to loctite them, I'm replacing the cross head screws with hex head.

Some of these jobs will need some safety wire, too. Really, the whole thing needs gone over. Dealer prep my butt. Don't even get me started on the bar clamps...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Me?

I am going up to the trees, dang it. Thursday, it will have to be. Hopefully my new, longer shifter will be here by then. I had to order it from the shop. Meh.

I'm going to take a different route, this time, one I know, for sure. Really. Hehe. A more pedestrian way to go, but I won't miss the trees.

I'm already planning to go back to the road I just rode. Ahem. I'm gonna take my buddy, who has a real dirt bike, and we're gonna follow that road to the end. I believe it will run into Yosemite. We shall see.
    I'll take more pictures, next time, of the actual trail the road becomes. It was quite fun, if non technical.

800 plus miles and I'm starting to come to terms. There are some changes I want to make to personalize the fit, and improve the off road protection (real case guard, bark busters) and function (metal pegs, higher bars/risers). The bike is very functional, I think, and the service access has been great. These screws are some such like IJS or something, so frearson and Phillips bits slip. As I remove the screws and bolts, one by one, to loctite them, I'm replacing the cross head screws with hex head.

Some of these jobs will need some safety wire, too. Really, the whole thing needs gone over. Dealer prep my butt. Don't even get me started on the bar clamps...

Peace,
    Robert
    Maaaate..... I've got but one word for you.....

KTM

There, I've gone and said it.

I'll quiz the guys afterwards... see how much they come home with.

Cash is a funny topic for some people. I've been criticised for not riding with enough in the pocket... but, are you safe if you have cash on you? I've got down to my last 10 cents in cash a couple of times... couldn't get my debit card to work on one trip (I won't ever use Mastercard again)..... saved when I found a Western Express in a tourist town on the coast of Cambodia and got a cash advance against my credit card.

One guy I've ridden with carries a USD 5000 emergency fund with him..... the price of a chopper ride out.

I've never budgeted a trip.... but I don't have any interest in staying 5 star, or even 2, 3 or 4 star. I spent my working life staying in the higher end places. They're antiseptic. The staff smile because it's their job to smile. I prefer staying in cheap guesthouses - and the staff interact with you if they like you. The most I've paid for a room, once I left Oz, was IIRC, $70 a night... here:

But what I remember of there had nothing to do with the room... it was the birdwatching and seeing Gibbons in the wild (again).

I guess if you want to budget... it's say $25 for a room, $30 food and drink, $20 fuel, $6 - 10 for a massage, $10 spares and maintenance..... and we're at $95 a day there. Throw a big night in with some mates and the food and drink might easily hit $60 on it's own... over $125. Sure.... some days are cheaper, but others have entrance fees to pay, or a guide.... and it adds up.

I can see $6,000 to $10,000 of my friend's budget being in airfares and freight. Add in bikes and their prep at another $10,000. There's $20k off the top.... leaving $200 a day.

Maaaate..... I've got but one word for you.....

KTM

There, I've gone and said it.
    Oh, yeah, sure. I'm with you.

But I got four words, Mate. Bought and paid for.

At the very least I'd need risers or new bars on a KTM, too, because I'm tall, and standing up with short bars sucks. Also, I'd probably want wider pegs, at least, on account of my size 49s (14, y'all).

The case guard and bark busters? Shoot, I could buy them, and every other farkle made for the Kwak, and still be able to cover gas and insurance for a year for the price of a KTM.

Plus, this dumb thing is bone simple. I've already been pretty deep in its guts. It's pretty much a lawnmower with electronic ignition. Simple.

As to the dealer prep. Same dealer. And I'd be even more irate if I paid double for my bike and had the bars clamped in wrong, the rear brake light switch adjusted wrong... I don't even want to start.

Peace,
    Robert

If your buddies pass through central California, I can point out some good roads on the map, and treat them to a real meal, eh. They probably don't want to miss Yosemite.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Oh, yeah, sure. I'm with you.

But I got four words, Mate. Bought and paid for.

At the very least I'd need risers or new bars on a KTM, too, because I'm tall, and standing up with short bars sucks. Also, I'd probably want wider pegs, at least, on account of my size 49s (14, y'all).

The case guard and bark busters? Shoot, I could buy them, and every other farkle made for the Kwak, and still be able to cover gas and insurance for a year for the price of a KTM.

Plus, this dumb thing is bone simple. I've already been pretty deep in its guts. It's pretty much a lawnmower with electronic ignition. Simple.

As to the dealer prep. Same dealer. And I'd be even more irate if I paid double for my bike and had the bars clamped in wrong, the rear brake light switch adjusted wrong... I don't even want to start.

Peace,
    Robert

If your buddies pass through central California, I can point out some good roads on the map, and treat them to a real meal, eh. They probably don't want to miss Yosemite.

Peace,
    Robert
    Brake lights? What are they?

Yeah, seriously, the only light on my KTM in Asia is the LED headlight. The only other electrics are the radiator fan (an optional extra) and the horn.... which is essential.

As for boots. Yep, I'm a size 49 too. I just pulled out my new Forma boots for today's ride. It's all bitumen today, unfortunately, as one of Ian's Harem won't ride in the dirt.

Here's what I did to my first pair of boots in Asia. The Ho Chi Minh Trail in the wet season is no place for leather

I rode for several more months with those boots - taped together with duck tape

I wore the same pair of leak proof Derri boots for some years.....

Only replaced them because of the smell.........

The road into Gold River is lovely.
    Well maintained,smoothish,nice sweepers, S bends and fantastic scenery.
    The gravel roads beyond there are more of an adventure.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

The problem with leak-proof boots is, there's no leaks for the water to drain out of them.... My boots were wet the whole 10 days / 3000 km of our Cape York trip because the water kept coming in from the top.

Meanwhile, yesterday's adventure ride also entailed some hiking, up the remnants of the Great North Road... a convict-built road, constructed nearly 200 years ago, and, four ferry rides. Here we are on the Hawkesbury River

Me, being called into action at The Settlers Arms, built in 1836, where we stopped for lunch (and, truth be told, a couple of real ales)

There was even a Madonna moment

Wharf Street..... no river traffic any more, but I'll post a photo later showing that the big boats used to get up this way

Paula broke a nail, checking her tyre pressures before the ride. Would you believe we actually finished the ride at the local shops.... so she could get her nails done

Sheesh. See what riding with a harem does for you?

We rode alongside the Macdonald River. The wattle is starting to flower in the background. I love the sandstone hills around Sydney

Speaking of sandstone... these sandstone blocks form the convict road. All cut by hand, nearly 200 years ago. Over 700 convicts worked for years to build the 264km road connecting Sydney to the Hunter Valley. Only about 40km of it survives... and pushbikes and feet are all that are allowed on it now

Hopefully, Rob's out riding.... taking some photos.

Here's the boat photo I promised.... gotta be a very, very old shot

Now - some adventure. The clown on the left in this photo caused some adventure yesterday

He was in a group of four bikes. The first one pulled out from a side road in front of me.... and he blindly followed. I had to slam the brakes on to avoid T-boning him. I'm guessing from his accent, listening to them at the first ferry, that he's a visiting German on a borrowed bike. Two of the four were Aussies, two were heavily accented. Bloody nong. Just after this photo, he overtook the tanker, over unbroken double lines, with a car coming the other way. He didn't even use the bike's performance.... and the result was almost the end of him.

A bit of a blurry shot.. but this was the first of four ferry rides we did on Monday

It's winter here and some of the corners still had moisture on the road, even in the afternoon. This particular set of nice climbing corners was a bit spoilt by a spill from a tanker... just water, but enough to take the enthusiasm out of us

Speaking of enthusiasm... the Princess complained of boredom on a recent ride... not enough cornering. She loved it yesterday, and with two very generous chardonnays in her, was an enthusiastic contributor to the cornering. Her timing on the leans was about a half second ahead of mine though... but I didn't scold her

It's definitely good to ride on a Monday though.... this pub gets crowded on the weekends

The pocket rockets reminded me yesterday.... I'm 20% heavier than the two of them put together. How very ungracious of them, eh?

No real rides. Just scootering for transportation. Incidentally, if you have some heavier than stock rollers and a fancy belt, a Zuma will just destroy a 250 Ninja. Light after light. What? I can only handle so much revving.

The KLR has gotten a new shift lever (which, what a freaking racket. I'm in the wrong business) and a phone case and mount. The phone case is a pouch with a waterproof phone sleeve attached to a little compartment. Phone in top, showing, with papers and snacks in the little pouch.
    It mounts on the crossbar just to the left of center, so I can access the phone with my left while riding, if need.

Yes, I've downloaded a map of the area I was in into my phone. Now I can navigate, there...

This week is work and bike cleaning so I can take her back up to the dirt again. This time to some of the big trees, dang it.

Peace,
    Robert