Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Make white power american great again

Default Re: Make white power american great again

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i could have been a little smoother on the delivery. point taken.
    Can you rephrase? I think if you keep stumbling around in the dark, you might eventually trip over some wisdom. I say Go For It!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Now, now, David. He complied with our request to delete the offending post; no need to keep beating a dead horse.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

the whole point was to address the absurdity of the what-if game going on.

White power Americans are increasingly out of their reproductive and productive age group. Selective immigration will not change that.

Alan, it seems from afar that you are presently living inside of a what-if experiment: What if an outlier president makes effective governance of the country an impossibility; will a "re-set" make the USA great again, or destroy its ability to function properly as a leading nation of the world?

Donald Trump and all his supporters and defenders are beneath contempt.

That includes Stephen Miller.
    " Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day."

" The truth is that men are tired of liberty."

-- Benito Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Now, now, David. He complied with our request to delete the offending post; no need to keep beating a dead horse.
    Different beast. You corralled the horse for the owner, and helped him take it back to the barn before he lost it (permanently or temporarily) to rustlers (Hi Scot <G>).

I was pointing out that his jennet has been running loose thru the neighborhood as well.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So, as the poor fool who has decided to build a boat, found this forum and been lurking a while, and then accidently wandered down here into the darkness during a break from the lofting a catboat thread, could one of you gentlemen explain how exactly you think there's some sort of silly white power thing going on here? From what I can see, there's an awful lot of straw-men being butchered in here.

Mike T.

uh oh...... good luck wmemlo

When you butcher a straw-man, does it bleed... dust?

Well, it does seem like you get covered in something when you wander into some of these threads down here!

We have tried repeatedly flushing the bilge with pretty pictures, amusing anecdotes, and other things poisonous to politics and insults, but the fungus and bad smell keeps coming back. Some of the well-intentioned cleaners occasionally become infected themselves, and become a source of icky-ness, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Well, you do run those super races.
    Ultra. Geez.

Hehe. Race is such an idiotic thing, anyway.

Well.

People are idiotic things.

Hehe.

Peace,
    Emperor For Life

We have tried repeatedly flushing the bilge with pretty pictures, amusing anecdotes, and other things poisonous to politics and insults, but the fungus and bad smell keeps coming back. Some of the well-intentioned cleaners occasionally become infected themselves, and become a source of icky-ness, too.

wouldn't be much of a BILGE if it wasn't mmd

The Bilge is the world.

It is what we make it.

I want to make it all doodly.

But, I am crazy.

Haha.

Peace,
    Emperor For Life (Of A Soon To Be Expanded Territory. A Solid 100 Square Foot Addition!)

Alan, I have spent time in some very clean and sweet-smelling bilges, and in some pretty horrible ones. The sweet ones are proof that with the right cleaners and regular cleaning, even the worst cesspools can be redeemed. If you are not a cleaner, you are a fungus...

Perhaps some boat related funny cat pictures/videos. I've found funny cats to be a great way to clear out the "doody" on faceberk. They would, of course, need to be able to speak cat-English, and be able to support themselves through mousing/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    ... A Solid 100 Square Foot Addition!
    You're getting a pet centipede? With square feet?

Wow. That is solid.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

... If you are not a cleaner, you are a fungus...
    Can't some of us be bipolar?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Alan, I have spent time in some very clean and sweet-smelling bilges, and in some pretty horrible ones. The sweet ones are proof that with the right cleaners and regular cleaning, even the worst cesspools can be redeemed. If you are not a cleaner, you are a fungus...
    The bilge of my "retirement cottage" will be one of those dusty ones, eh. Knock wood.

The new domain is a place to stick wood, by the by...

Peace,
    Robert

May I remind those who have just arrived that clicking your mouse is entirely voluntary. If you're not interested in discussing US politics, there's a simple solution; don't open the threads. And if you find any particular person's writing too odious, there's a handy 'ignore list' function.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Cats on boats? Perfect!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    You're getting a pet centipede? With square feet?

Wow. That is solid.
    Getting? You didn't know I raise fighting centipedes?

Actually, I lied, too. I was trying to make myself feel big and important. It's to be 14 x 7, with a long overhang. The covered area will be more than 100 feet, but the walled in bit will only be about 98.
    I feel shame.

I do plan to try some of those passive bottle lights in the roof, though. The end against the existing wall will have a Very Long Bench along it, see. The light bottles will be over that bench area.

We'll see.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    May I remind those who have just arrived that clicking your mouse is entirely voluntary. If you're not interested in discussing US politics, there's a simple solution; don't open the threads. And if you find any particular person's writing too odious, there's a handy 'ignore list' function.
    What's a "mouse"?

Peace,
    Fat Finger Tips (Apparently, sheesh!)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I am aware that being here is entirely voluntary. And my original question was serious. The whole racist, white power argument seems absurd. I'd genuinely like someone to explain how it is racist/etc. Just because some fool on CNN claims it is? It really seems like an intellectually lazy way to dismiss political opponents without actual discussion.

Mike

Y'all keep dealin' the race card, we're gonna keep playin' the race card.
    Rattling the teacups.

Who's dealing the race card?

Quote Originally Posted by Wmemlo View Post
    I am aware that being here is entirely voluntary. And my original question was serious. The whole racist, white power argument seems absurd. I'd genuinely like someone to explain how it is racist/etc. Just because some fool on CNN claims it is? It really seems like an intellectually lazy way to dismiss political opponents without actual discussion.

Mike
    Mike, it seems to me that in most parts of our lives it helps to consider things in context. If I have one rose bush in my garden, maybe I like roses ... if I've 450 rose bushes, maybe I've got a personality disorder.

Miller's introduction of this new Immigration initiative needs to be seen in context. If apropos of nothing, a mild-mannered guy suggested a cut in America's immigration numbers, it would mean one thing. Situate it in the last couple of years' history though, and you'll recall an election campaign which got very ugly when Trump said ugly things about people of Mexican heritage - whether illegal immigrants or judges born in America. Perhaps recall that Trump himself became an electoral candidate because of the Birther nonsense - which I hope you agree was a dog whistle for racism, and not really about where someone was born. Consider Ted Cruz, if you have lingering doubts.

You'll perhaps also recall months of earnest battles waged by White House staff whether a "travel ban" against people with certain characteristics should be called a "travel ban," and then Trump himself saying "yeah, it's a travel ban." And acknowledgement in (leaked) materials that the objective was indeed to ban muslims. You'll remember that when folks pondered whether Trump's objective was to restrict immigration in general, or only work on the "illegal immigrant" question, such questions were always shouted down by the Trump campaign surrogates. "Of course the issue was only illegals - because legal immigration is a good thing."

The context includes people who've been made stunning racist comments (written and verbal) which have been recorded, but who have now apparently changed their spots and been appointed to high office. The Bannon/Gorka/Miller histories of participating in or providing forums for the promotion of alt.right ideas - including racism, anti-Semitism, etc etc. Miller's dustup with Jim Acosta when Miller introduced this immigration policy included the epithet "Cosmopolitan," which is an unusual enough epithet that I looked it up. Apparently it had origins in anti-Semitic Stalinist Russia, and is in fairly common usage in alt.right circles.

So within that context, an Immigration policy which actually does take as its objective cutting all immigration by 50% shows that people were correct to mistrust the Trump surrogates' blandishments. An Immigration policy which preferentially looks to people who are already English speakers conveniently rules out most of the people interested in moving to America from Mexico or other bits of Latin America, as it does most of those coming from Iran or Syria or etc., who primarily speak other languages. And yeah, that detail does preferentially support potential immigrants from places like the UK, Canada, AUS, NZ, though it doesn't rule out English speakers from other places. Though I must say, there are a lot more South Asian or African folks who are non-English speakers than English. Combine this with a financial qualification, and the non-white English speaking proportions shrink again.

So is it racist, on it's face? Is it racist only because some reporter at CNN claims it is? Well, if it walks like duck, it ... erhmmm ... doesn't have to be a strawman. Had Trump's campaign set out to build even rather desultory and tepid connections with communities dominated by folks other than white dudes, communities which advocate for and deeply support the interests of folks other than white dudes ...

i'm fine being a fungus if it's one of these https://www.google.com/search?q=beau...w=1920&bih=950

Who's dealing the race card?
    Assuming perfect vetting, what is the purpose of restricting immigration?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?

Fine in your galley in a pan, Alan; not so good growing in your bilge.

Birtherism? Hillary was hip deep in that, and I imagine you'd be ok with her in the white house. Ted Cruz? Not too fond of him, but have not seen anything to make me think he's racist. The travel ban did not include a rather large number of muslim populated countries, so I'm afraid I would have to disagree with you there. Will this RAISE act proposal change immigration? Yup. It will select away from the poor/non-English speaking. But it looks from this side like its trying to get away from bringing in people who will show up and further burden our welfare system. There's also the idea that folks want a halt/slow-down in immigration because it seems like one party wants to import new voters to stack elections, the other wants cheap labor for their cronies, and both want a voting population more accepting of a stronger centralized government than many American want. Some folks know that you can have a welfare state, or open borders, but not both. And maybe they are just saying we should slow down. But nowhere in there is a bit of thinking that keep out the brown folks. Nowhere. Can you go find some idiot who does say that sort of crap? Of course. There's 300+ million people in this country. A whole lot of them are idiots. On both sides of the political spectrum. Dragging one up out of the gutter to paint all opposition as the same is disingenuous, and unhelpful.
    As to context. Well, for the last 8+ years, we've been told disagreement with the president, not voting for him, etc, was ONLY out of racism. The left has been screaming "RACISM" for a long time to silence any opposition. So, the idea that there's some "context" that proves "racist" intent is absurd. The context exists because the left has created it.
    I know Trump was not talking about ALL Mexicans. I know that there was never any thought of a muslim ban. There just wasn't. No one was advocating any such thing. He's a brash, egotistical ass, but racist? Please.

Here's a prediction: this law will go nowhere. Immigration will continue to be a mess. The establishment may actually manage to overturn the election (with all the attendant issues that will cause). Opposition to the democratic party will continue to be labeled as racist.

Either way, I disagree, and think many of the underlying assumptions you have are in error. However, I don't think you are evil, stupid, or "deplorable'. And maybe someday you guys will see a build thread from me!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Assuming perfect vetting, what is the purpose of restricting immigration?
    You cannot have a generous welfare system and unrestricted immigration. Also, unless the goal is to destroy/change/"fundamentally transform" a society, it should be limited to allow for assimilation. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a balkanized mess, with competing racial/ethnic groups and constant upheavals (err...uh oh...perhaps a bit too late for that now ). It should be slow, to give new Americans time to become Americans.

eh? that you rodb???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Birtherism? Hillary was hip deep in that,. . .

Mike
    Three strikes, right outta the gate.

You cannot have a generous welfare system and unrestricted immigration. Also, unless the goal is to destroy/change/"fundamentally transform" a society, it should be limited to allow for assimilation. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a balkanized mess, with competing racial/ethnic groups and constant upheavals (err...uh oh...perhaps a bit too late for that now ). It should be slow, to give new Americans time to become Americans.
    You think our welfare system is generous?

HAHAHAHA!!!

Immigrants have been assimilating into the dear, old, Balkanized mess we call home for 2-300 years, now.
    Rattling the teacups.