Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Make white power american great again

Default Re: Make white power american great again

act right, don't get shot. it's not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    act right, don't get shot. it's not hard.
    I was reminded of Chris Rock's take on that.

Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 08-10-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: C&P corrected
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    I was reminded of Chris Rock's take on that.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ape-sketch.jpg

super funny skit. chris rock has always cracked me up

Quote Originally Posted by Wmemlo View Post
    Actually, I think there should be a frank discussion about police tactics in America, because I think they are too quick to escalate things. Using instances like Ferguson, however, do not help things. That whole story fell apart under scrutiny, and gives cover to the police who should be looked at more closely.

It is human nature to feel comfort in the familiar, and discomfort with the unfamiliar, and fear change. You can stretch a bit, and call that racism, but what you are really trying to do is paint it as cross burning white sheet wearing hatred to shut down opposition. There are economic reasons to want to curtail immigration. There are political reasons to do so as well. But we don't have those discussions because one side screams "RACIST!" and that's the end of discussion. As a result, there will be no rational immigration policy in the US, and that's not good long term.
    No, no, no. There is NO need to examine police behavior. How do I know? AlanMc tells us so: "act right, don't get shot. it's not hard."

He's as confused as you are.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

. . . but what you are really trying to do is paint it as cross burning white sheet wearing hatred to shut down opposition.
    Me? Where did I do that? I said that there were some on the left who do that to some degree, and I agree with you that it's often not helpful. But I will also point out that the old-time racism is not gone, and that religious bigotry and reflexive anti-foreign sentiment are very much in the same category.

It is human nature to feel comfort in the familiar, and discomfort with the unfamiliar, and fear change.
    It is also human nature to be fascinated by the new and unusual, bored with the familiar, and to seek change.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    No, no, no. There is NO need to examine police behavior. How do I know? AlanMc tells us so: "act right, don't get shot. it's not hard."

have you ever been shot by the police when you were acting right?

No, but Phil Castille was, not far from my house.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Not shot, but hit in the back of the head with a baton. Hands in the air, I asked why I was being detained, and WHAM! Did you know a skull can break?

Peace,
    Robert

Yeah, because that applies to everyone who disagrees with you politically. Or maybe, for example, folks never said #alllivesmatter because it was just understood that all lives matter. What a clever little meme of hate for "others" that is. Make sure you keep shouting that half the country is a bunch of evil, racist, bigoted morons. I'm sure that will help you electorally. It will certainly raise the level of discourse, won't it? Sheesh.

And... as dishonest a correspondent. Both of you lean heavily on logical fallacies to anchor your rhetoric. Him attempting to argue from the specific to the general (in this case)... and you constructing straw men faster than they can be dismantled.

Some worthwhile reading for the both of you -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Me? Where did I do that? I said that there were some on the left who do that to some degree, and I agree with you that it's often not helpful. But I will also point out that the old-time racism is not gone, and that religious bigotry and reflexive anti-foreign sentiment are very much in the same category.

It is also human nature to be fascinated by the new and unusual, bored with the familiar, and to seek change.
    Old time racism is dying, as it should. And like I said, there are reasons other than dislike of foreigners/racism/etc to want a reduction in immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Not shot, but hit in the back of the head with a baton. Hands in the air, I asked why I was being detained, and WHAM! Did you know a skull can break?

Peace,
    Robert

that was your fault. he must have seen some of your doodles and tried to reconnect your brain hemispheres.

worst i ever caught was a macing to the face at a music festival when i was like 20-21. there was a fight between 3-4 guys going on about 40' away from me. the cops run up, i'm standing there with a beer in hand watching, and one of them runs up to me and hoses me down. i guess i looked more threatening in my youth than i do now.

And... as dishonest a correspondent. Both of you lean heavily on logical fallacies to anchor your rhetoric. Him attempting to argue from the specific to the general (in this case)... and you constructing straw men faster than they can be dismantled.

Some worthwhile reading for the both of you -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
    Then explain the pic you posted. What was it other than an attempt to paint people who disagree with your position as bigots? Was it just a little left wing humor?

My point is that painting any attempt to restrict/slow down immigration as racist is a disingenuous attempt to silence or discredit opposing views. There's no muslim ban. There was never one proposed. The raise act is not racist because it does not exclude anyone based on race (personally, from what I've seen, I'd be a bit looser on the requirements, but we can't even have that discussion because "racism".). But then, I'm a confused idiot, so what do I know?

Peace,
    Robert
    Heck, you can watch a few episodes of cops and say that the cop could have de-escalated the situation. There IS a problem. And it does need to be addressed. But then, I'm confused, so...maybe I was hit on the head when the cops in Kansas pulled me over and searched my car with my 5 yo daughter in it.

Sometimes a 'more nuanced picture' obscures the plain obvious facts. A large percentage of the support for the Emergency Quota Act of 1921 and the National Origins Act of 1924 was indeed explicitly racist in a way that would horrify even most of the right wing today. Restricting immigration was the central legislative priority of the KKK in the days when they were a real political force, instead of a couple of fringe loonies, and the 1924 bill was the proudest achievement. Here they are in the early '20s:

It wasn't restricted to the right, either; eugenics and 'scientific' racial theories were surprisingly popular among progressives of the time too. The act of 1924 had support from both the left and the right, a very large proportion of it clearly based on the idea of keeping out 'inferior stock', whether Italian or eastern Europeans, many of them Jewish. Here's a cartoon from 1903:

OTOH, although 100 years ago many people supported immigration restriction for loathsome reasons, that does not mean that everyone who supports it today has the same motivations. One can make rational non-bigoted arguments in its favor. OTOOH, the US has had several anti-immigrant episodes which have had many of the same characteristics, and this one sure does look similar.

And for God's sake can we please drop this idiotic 'open borders' straw man? NOBODY advocates unrestricted immigration. The debate is about how many people we should let in, and on what basis.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-10-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Richard Feynman

And for God's sake can we please drop this idiotic 'open borders' straw man? NOBODY advocates unrestricted immigration. The debate is about how many people we should let in, and on what basis.
    I think there are only 2 non-racist options - open borders and closed borders. Any time there is a basis involved, there is going to be a claim of racism.

The Wall Street Journal was had a piece on summer workers on Martha's Vineyard. There seems to be a shortage of immigrants to do the labor that the rich don't want to pay much for.
    Life is complex.

. . .
    Mr. Russell has posited a VERY convincing case that 'liberals' advocate for open borders.

Let me see if I can sum up:
    A night club advertises 'free admission'.

When the patrons approach the door, they are frisked for weapons, asked to show their ID, screened for sexually-communicable diseases, and required to show their tickets.

After that, the Free Admission kicks in.

I just don't see how such an establishment can stay in business!
    Mr. Russell eloquently pleads the case that once any number of requirements are met, the result is 'open borders'.

Frankly, and dispensing with sarcasm, I think this may be Russell's poorest work, to date.

A real standout in a portfolio of real, solid, fact-based positions.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I think there are only 2 non-racist options - open borders and closed borders. Any time there is a basis involved, there is going to be a claim of racism.

The Wall Street Journal was had a piece on summer workers on Martha's Vineyard. There seems to be a shortage of immigrants to do the labor that the rich don't want to pay much for.
    Your inability to grasp the issue should cause you to simply delete this post.

The article I am familiar with has nothing whatsoever to do with 'immigrant workers'. The article deals with 'guest workers', some of whom have been working on Martha's Vineyard for 20 years and more.

The ISSUE is that your Darling Leader has revoked the 'grandfather clause', so to speak.

The policy used to be that if you were a documented guest worker one season, your return for the next season was almost guaranteed.

The 'quota' used to be for ADDITIONAL guest workers.

Now, the 'quota' means ALL guest workers.

There is no shortage of such guest workers. The shortage is between the ears of your fabulous hero.
    Rattling the teacups.

In the interest of perhaps clarifying things and raising the level of discourse, would you be willing to give a general idea of what you consider a reasonable immigration policy?
    Last edited by Wmemlo; 08-10-2017 at 03:31 PM. Reason: too many perhapses, need to proffread better

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    [T]he Democrats’ new default position — that opposition to illegal immigration and constraints on legal immigration are virtually unacceptable — is just as extreme, certainly by historic standards. The shift in the liberal perspective has just received far less scrutiny.
    Scrutiny time is here.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Yep. Even under my proposal, where you set a purely numerical limit, based on population policy. Let's say it works out to 100. You still have to pick the 100, and on what basis will you pick them? The taint of racism is inescapable, so if you must escape it, you have to close the borders.

Or you can say, we pick the 100 based on self-interest, the taint is regrettable, next question.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Mr. Russell has posited a VERY convincing case that 'liberals' advocate for open borders.

Let me see if I can sum up:

Mr. Russell eloquently pleads the case that once any number of requirements are met, the result is 'open borders'.

Frankly, and dispensing with sarcasm, I think this may be Russell's poorest work, to date.

A real standout in a portfolio of real, solid, fact-based positions.

Shucks, I have a portfolio?

Eloquent, but the poorest to date?!?

In the interest of perhaps clarifying things and raising the level of discourse, would you be willing to give a general idea of what you consider a reasonable immigration policy?
    The policy, including the moral principle(s).

Quickest way to get out from under "open borders".

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Your inability to grasp the issue should cause you to simply delete this post.

The article I am familiar with has nothing whatsoever to do with 'immigrant workers'. The article deals with 'guest workers', some of whom have been working on Martha's Vineyard for 20 years and more.

The ISSUE is that your Darling Leader has revoked the 'grandfather clause', so to speak.

The policy used to be that if you were a documented guest worker one season, your return for the next season was almost guaranteed.

The 'quota' used to be for ADDITIONAL guest workers.

Now, the 'quota' means ALL guest workers.

There is no shortage of such guest workers. The shortage is between the ears of your fabulous hero.
    Guest workers. Immigrants. There is little difference. At least for me. I don't see value in using either type of low cost labor. You seem to have a different view.

I don't have a leader. Perhaps that is my problem.

Your bolded text seems to be at odds with the article. As well as other articles.
    Life is complex.

Peace,
    Robert
    I once went through Bakersfield also...

Guest workers. Immigrants. There is little difference. At least for me. I don't see value in using either type of low cost labor. You seem to have a different view.

I don't have a leader. Perhaps that is my problem.

Your bolded text seems to be at odds with the article. As well as other articles.

There is no shortage of workers.

There IS a shortage of brains in the current administration.
    Rattling the teacups.

This is a great time in the increasing consumer demand for organic fruits and vegetables to raise labor costs by improving working conditions in agriculture and wages by preventing illegal labor and thereby forcing investment in the tools, machines, and environment to make the jobs better. I see it in articles about small North Eastern organic farms. It would be done in California if their supply of low cost workers with less than the rights of American citizens were cut off.
    "Never get out of the boat." Apocalypse (Then)

Heck, you can watch a few episodes of cops and say that the cop could have de-escalated the situation. There IS a problem. And it does need to be addressed. But then, I'm confused, so...maybe I was hit on the head when the cops in Kansas pulled me over and searched my car with my 5 yo daughter in it.
    Where you wearing a sombrero? Something must have tipped them off!

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    This is a great time in the increasing consumer demand for organic fruits and vegetables to raise labor costs by improving working conditions in agriculture and wages by preventing illegal labor and thereby forcing investment in the tools, machines, and environment to make the jobs better. I see it in articles about small North Eastern organic farms. It would be done in California if their supply of low cost workers with less than the rights of American citizens were cut off.
    Well, some of my friends are leading the charge in the movement. CSA type cats, and real family farms. Big ones, too. My friend, for example, grows 500 acres of raisin grapes for Sun Maid under contract.
    He and his family.

Also, check out some of the California farm worker legislation. Some of the recent stuff. We have some decent laws forcing employers to treat people like humans.

One really cool local guy is Ted Willey. http://tdwilleyfarms.com/how-we-farm/ This is his farm and CSA. He's not a friend, but a friend of friends, you know? He's like the guru of how to do it successfully.

Peace,
    Robert