Thread: Classic Design Sailing Dinghy

Default Classic Design Sailing Dinghy

Folks,
    I am a long time lurker but first time poster and would like some advice and/or recommendations. I will appreciate any & all comments.

I cruise on a Grand Banks 36 Classic upon which currently sits a Portland Pudgy on the aft cabintop cradle. Now that I am no longer gainfully employed I would like to replace that craft with a more classic wood sailing dinghy that I can sail in the afternoons after a day of cruising. Being here on the WB Forum, of course I would like to build it myself. Not a first time builder but also not a very skillful builder having built a 7' Nutshell from a kit & 11' Westport Skiff from scratch. But I have a decent shop and am willing to try anything!

What I'm looking for is a very classic looking dinghy, preferably clinker or strip with a sloop rig. It should fit two adults but needs to max out at 9ft long with a beam about 4ft (a little flexibility there). As an idea of my likes, Oughtred's Acorn looks great but it's a little too small.

Suggestions?

Thanks much,

Default Re: Classic Design Sailing Dinghy

Go for a pram design. The transom bow provides more capacity in that size of craft. Ian Oughtred has a design called the Granny Pram, it is 9'4" x 4'. Is the extra 4" a deal killer?

"When I was a boy with never a crack in my heart."

-W. B. Yeats

Many lovely little boats. The Concordia Bateka is exactly 9' and quite a load carrier, easily adapted to sail. I'd go with one "sideboard" for use of either tack rather than a centerboard or two leeboards. Of course, a good centerboard case could be a good basis for a long center seat so you could row from the standard position or from maybe 18" further forward if you have a passenger.

I would not even think about a sloop rig on any boat so small. A high clewed gunter with the gunter spar about as long as the mast and a sprit boom about that long as well could give you almost fifty square feed of sail, readily reefable to forty square feet. Even so, sailing with two would be quite cozy.

John Brooks has a good looking pram: The Compass Harbor http://brooksboatsdesigns.com/Compas...rprammain.html

His plans are well drawn and quite complete. I built his Somes Sound design and it is a wonderful boat.

Jeff

Why a sloop? 9' is pretty small for the rig, and since it places the mast farther aft, it intrudes on the room in the boat.

I'm trying to steer clear of a pram simply because I don't really like the looks and I've already got a nice one, the Nutshell. Admittedly there are some pretty nice looking prams tho'.

Maybe I misspoke re: sloop rig. What I want is a taller rig that can catch the typically flukey winds in a Cove or harbor. So maybe I meant a cat rig w/Marconi sail? Apologies about the lingo but I'm a stinkpotter at heart who also likes to sail a little ��. (I also own a Herreshoff Bulls Eye.)

I will take a close look at the suggestions posted so far. After a quick glance, a couple look interesting. Keep the ideas coming!

You're not going to get much height. For this size boat a lug rig makes more sense.

If you have a copy of Boatbuilding, by Howard Chapelle, on page 421 there's a very nice 10-foot rowing and sailing dinghy including the offsets. I'm sure you can get complete plans from the Smithsonian. There's a very nice 9' pram in the same book on page 466.

You could build an Oughtred Auk at 8'10" though at 7'10" you've no scarfing to do....

This a small sail boat...they have a narrower waterline entry as apposed to a sailing tender pram which will have a blunter entry angle for stepping down into/ forward reserve stability.

If you want a bermudan rig, you could supplant the 3.5sqm lug for the 3.5 sqm gunter rig option of his Humble Bee pram if its not shown on Auk (just ask Iain for the sheet with a few extra )

Since you would build it to 9ft, and if you were going to be two up in usually very light air, maybe put an extra reefs worth of sail area on the foot of the sail and a taller mast etc. This chap built his Humble Bee cold molded with the gunter rig...

The lug has the advantage of the rig dropping quickly. I've also seen people happy with the sprit, due to the short spars and coming along side they just brail it up to the mast, so there is nothing to flog against the hull sides, which might be something to consider, sailing off a motorboat. You've got the most chance of the spars fitting inside the hull for storage with a sprit, but you'd have to look at each rigs spar lengths. I think the chap above has a two piece mast - the upper wood mast looks like it fits in the bottom alloy section, I guess to fit it in the boat.

I looked over an 8ft Auk launched at Lyme Boatbuilding College and it was a spiffing looking thing.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 08-04-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Zeroing in a little now

It seems that input of what rig choice are all valid. I had thought a bit about spar length and decided it didn't really matter since there's plenty of storage place on board the GB but the lug or gunter rig will probably give me enough height although after having sailed the Nutshell many times I think I prefer the gunter ... always felt that the lug rig didn't perform equally on port & starboard tacks.

I like the AUK, nice classic looks and an opportunity to have some fun with the build as far as fit & finish. I don't mind scarfing if it's a reasonable strategy to stretch the plan. I guess advisable to touch base w/Oughtred?

I'm headed out for a few days' cruise along the mid-coast of ME and my so-called smart phone is acting up so I might go silent for the next 5-6 days. Don't give up on me!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrib View Post
    Zeroing in a little now

I'm headed out for a few days' cruise along the mid-coast of ME and my so-called smart phone is acting up so I might go silent for the next 5-6 days. Don't give up on me!

Thanks.
    I'd recommend taking a look at Joel Whites 9' sailing dinghy. It's Design No. 6 from 1976. I'm not sure if plans can be had from the Brooklin Boatyard, but complete plans are in the book on White by Mayher and Bray. Even if you don't build to the design, the book is well worth having.

Here's the Chapelle 10' dinghy. Buy his book on boatbuilding, and you can blow up the plans to a readable size, or order the plans from the Smithsonian.

How about CLC's new Tenderly kit dingy Sail oar or small power?
    Pretty boat.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/tenderly-dinghy.html

Thanks all. It's hard to look at pics & read specs on a phone. Will be home Thu so will get online and look at these latest suggestions.