Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much does a free boat cost?

Default Re: How much does a free boat cost?

Yesterday I cut some more rail of the starboard side and got it replaced.
    [IMG]

I trimmed the centrecase down 10mm to allow putting new timber around the top. One side had a bit of rot in it, so I removed that side completely. I cut a notch into one side of this piece of timber with the sawbench so that it will sit on top of the ply and protect the end grain.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

The other 3 side just got a piece added over the top of the existing frame to cover the end grain.

The port side of the hull had some water damage around the chainplate, so I cut the rail and some of the side ply back to dry timber.
    [IMG]
    It looks like in this photo I've already painted neat epoxy onto the glueing surfaces.

All glued and clamped up ready for tomorrow.
    [IMG]
    I may get another piece of deck on there I guess. I remembered after it was too late that I was intending to cut the slot for the chainplate before attaching, but that will happen later now.

Hey Slako, In spite of the problems you have to deal with, I think you will set it right and end up with a good pair of hulls and trampoline.
    I like your enthusiasm!
    Jay

Thanks Jay.
    I stuck a small fan heater in the hull and put some covers on top of the clamps. The glue was hard 4 hours later!
    I'm enjoying not having to sand fibreglass on this job yet.
    It's a nice change that everything isn't encased in plastic.

Today, I tidied up the glue jobs from yesterday and adjusted the height of the centrecase down a little.

I started to align the top of the centrecase to the centreline of the hull which is a bit out.
    The sides of the hull are pretty floppy with no deck so I was also trying to set them to fair curves at the same time.
    These 2 tasks turned out to be in opposition to each other a little so the simple way that it was done when I took it apart isn't going to work.
    There was just a brace from each side of the centrecase to the hull. I'm going to have to use temporary braces from the chine to the top of the case each side to align that and link the hull sheer to the centrecase with timber to push the sheer into shape.
    Once the deck is back on it will all be solid.
    This issue is linked to having to twist the hull a little to get the transom in line with the bow.
    It was probably shonky as found, and the other hull has twist in it too sitting out on the trailer.

Yesterday I continued trying to get the centreboard aligned and a fair deck shape.
    The break and rethink was time well spent because I got it all lined up and glued in about 30 minutes.
    [IMG]

Today after work I remembered to cut the slot for the chainplate.
    [IMG]
    I'm not sure this would have gone without a multitool, but I'm just glad I have one.

I then wet the mating surfaces out and put the next section of deck on.
    [IMG]
    The deck is totally level, unlike how it appears in the photo!

I then attacked the bow section and got the bulk of it removed.
    [IMG]

I stapled the deck on as shown above.

This afternoon I cleaned up the old deck and got rid of all the copper nails, then gave it a sand.

[IMG]

The chainplate had been leaking, so the plywood skin and the end of the cross brace was rotten. I cut the side back to good material and removed the brace after measuring how wide the deck was at that point.
    I also removed the butt block where the deck ply was joined.
    [IMG]

Today I shaped all the bits that were needed to replace the rotten stuff that I cut away.
    I painted them all with epoxy then glued them in place.
    A few clamps and then the fan heater blowing over them to get the epoxy to kick.
    The stick on top was to hold the cross brace down in place, with tape on it to stop it being permanent.
    This cross brace was originally in the plans to mount a forward beam that wasn't needed. There is tape on the clamps as well to stop them sticking.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

3 hours later it was hard enough to remove the clamps, and after a scrape I was ready to put the next piece of deck on. This got cut and stapled on.
    Just the small section on the bow to do, as the clamp at the fwd end of the rail wasn't set enough to hold it in place.

This morning I cut a piece of ply for the bow section and got it glued in place.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I then started making holes in the new deck.
    I eyeballed the centreboard from the bottom of the hull and drilled a Hail Mary hole in the centre of the deck.
    [IMG]
    That router is an off brand made by Makita that was $200 less than the otherwise identical green one with Makita on it.

I then taped around where the centreboard should be to protect the deck from the router. 20 seconds later I had a centreboard slot again!
    [IMG]
    The green stripes in the tape are because the only masking tape I could find is autoclave indicator tape.
    It is the same, but changes colour if steamed for the correct time and temperature. The other change is that it is 5 times the price!
    I cleaned up the hole with the multitool sander, and with a dab of filler at the front and rounded off with the router it is ready to go.
    [IMG]

I also made the holes to mount an inspection hatch in the rear of the deck for access to mounting bolts for the rear beam and the rudder.
    [IMG]

The deck will get a coat of epoxy to seal it, then be varnish finished unless I make some booboo's from here.
    The bow was dry enough this afternoon with the heater on it to remove the staples and run the router around the outside of the deck.
    I am going to remove about 10mm from the rail and deck all round with the router, then put a varnished band of Cedar around that will make a bump strip and bury the plywood endgrain.
    I had a trial go this afternoon after getting a longer straight router bit.
    It was successful, so I will go ahead with this plan.