Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much does a free boat cost?

Default Re: How much does a free boat cost?

Yesterday I cut some more rail of the starboard side and got it replaced.
    [IMG]

I trimmed the centrecase down 10mm to allow putting new timber around the top. One side had a bit of rot in it, so I removed that side completely. I cut a notch into one side of this piece of timber with the sawbench so that it will sit on top of the ply and protect the end grain.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

The other 3 side just got a piece added over the top of the existing frame to cover the end grain.

The port side of the hull had some water damage around the chainplate, so I cut the rail and some of the side ply back to dry timber.
    [IMG]
    It looks like in this photo I've already painted neat epoxy onto the glueing surfaces.

All glued and clamped up ready for tomorrow.
    [IMG]
    I may get another piece of deck on there I guess. I remembered after it was too late that I was intending to cut the slot for the chainplate before attaching, but that will happen later now.

Hey Slako, In spite of the problems you have to deal with, I think you will set it right and end up with a good pair of hulls and trampoline.
    I like your enthusiasm!
    Jay

Thanks Jay.
    I stuck a small fan heater in the hull and put some covers on top of the clamps. The glue was hard 4 hours later!
    I'm enjoying not having to sand fibreglass on this job yet.
    It's a nice change that everything isn't encased in plastic.

Today, I tidied up the glue jobs from yesterday and adjusted the height of the centrecase down a little.

I started to align the top of the centrecase to the centreline of the hull which is a bit out.
    The sides of the hull are pretty floppy with no deck so I was also trying to set them to fair curves at the same time.
    These 2 tasks turned out to be in opposition to each other a little so the simple way that it was done when I took it apart isn't going to work.
    There was just a brace from each side of the centrecase to the hull. I'm going to have to use temporary braces from the chine to the top of the case each side to align that and link the hull sheer to the centrecase with timber to push the sheer into shape.
    Once the deck is back on it will all be solid.
    This issue is linked to having to twist the hull a little to get the transom in line with the bow.
    It was probably shonky as found, and the other hull has twist in it too sitting out on the trailer.

Yesterday I continued trying to get the centreboard aligned and a fair deck shape.
    The break and rethink was time well spent because I got it all lined up and glued in about 30 minutes.
    [IMG]

Today after work I remembered to cut the slot for the chainplate.
    [IMG]
    I'm not sure this would have gone without a multitool, but I'm just glad I have one.

I then wet the mating surfaces out and put the next section of deck on.
    [IMG]
    The deck is totally level, unlike how it appears in the photo!

I then attacked the bow section and got the bulk of it removed.
    [IMG]

I stapled the deck on as shown above.

This afternoon I cleaned up the old deck and got rid of all the copper nails, then gave it a sand.

[IMG]

The chainplate had been leaking, so the plywood skin and the end of the cross brace was rotten. I cut the side back to good material and removed the brace after measuring how wide the deck was at that point.
    I also removed the butt block where the deck ply was joined.
    [IMG]

Today I shaped all the bits that were needed to replace the rotten stuff that I cut away.
    I painted them all with epoxy then glued them in place.
    A few clamps and then the fan heater blowing over them to get the epoxy to kick.
    The stick on top was to hold the cross brace down in place, with tape on it to stop it being permanent.
    This cross brace was originally in the plans to mount a forward beam that wasn't needed. There is tape on the clamps as well to stop them sticking.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

3 hours later it was hard enough to remove the clamps, and after a scrape I was ready to put the next piece of deck on. This got cut and stapled on.
    Just the small section on the bow to do, as the clamp at the fwd end of the rail wasn't set enough to hold it in place.

This morning I cut a piece of ply for the bow section and got it glued in place.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I then started making holes in the new deck.
    I eyeballed the centreboard from the bottom of the hull and drilled a Hail Mary hole in the centre of the deck.
    [IMG]
    That router is an off brand made by Makita that was $200 less than the otherwise identical green one with Makita on it.

I then taped around where the centreboard should be to protect the deck from the router. 20 seconds later I had a centreboard slot again!
    [IMG]
    The green stripes in the tape are because the only masking tape I could find is autoclave indicator tape.
    It is the same, but changes colour if steamed for the correct time and temperature. The other change is that it is 5 times the price!
    I cleaned up the hole with the multitool sander, and with a dab of filler at the front and rounded off with the router it is ready to go.
    [IMG]

I also made the holes to mount an inspection hatch in the rear of the deck for access to mounting bolts for the rear beam and the rudder.
    [IMG]

The deck will get a coat of epoxy to seal it, then be varnish finished unless I make some booboo's from here.
    The bow was dry enough this afternoon with the heater on it to remove the staples and run the router around the outside of the deck.
    I am going to remove about 10mm from the rail and deck all round with the router, then put a varnished band of Cedar around that will make a bump strip and bury the plywood endgrain.
    I had a trial go this afternoon after getting a longer straight router bit.
    It was successful, so I will go ahead with this plan.

Yesterday after removing the last few screws holding the gunwales to the internal backing timbers I ran the router around the gunwale, taking it down to 10mm thick.
    A task that was fraught with danger to myself and the hull. Luckily only the timber I wanted gone was removed and I still have 10 digits.

This is the fence setup on the router that used the hull as the guide.
    [IMG]
    Even this little tiddler router bites pretty hard!

[IMG]

I then countersunk for the screws and reinstalled, marking on the hull where they are so I hopefully don't hit them when drilling for the beams.
    [IMG]
    Looking at that photo reminded me that I also drilled the deck for the fwd inspection port. It is offset to the centre so it doesn't get broken from being sat on.
    Last edited by Slacko; 08-23-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Today I ripped down some cedar for the gunwale outer edge. I'm getting low on the cedar that I recovered from the house cladding.
    It was on the house for 50 years, and is sitting nice and dry in my wood rack.
    I also cut some new ccedar to make the wider section for sitting on when hiked out.
    [IMG]
    It got cleaned up a bit more through the thicknesser.
    The kindling box got refilled as well with the offcuts.
    [IMG]

The last thing I got done was coat the deck with unthickened epoxy to seal it and give a bit of strength to the deck.
    [IMG]

I mixed the excess epoxy with microballoons and filled the repairs to the hull and covered the screwheads in the gunwale.
    I did remember to cut the slots in the deck for the chainplates so the holes got resin coated as well.

Looking good! I love looking at other peoples build photos and seeing bikes, extra wood, paint, and other garage items in the background...looks like our shop. Is that a table saw/router table combo?

Thanks Powerwagon!
    The Triton sawbench can take multiple decks with different tools mounted in them. I've got 2 bases at the moment because I bought another one cheap to get some missing bits. I can have both set up with different tools in them, but the nice thing is being able to set them up with the other table for runout. I've got a sliding table that attaches to the side so I can rip full sheets. It takes a bit of room to set up though.
    It can even be set up as a sliding saw by turning the skillsaw over.

The epoxy was almost dry this morning, so I set up the fan heater blowing across the deck.
    I'll be able to work on the gunwales this afternoon.
    It is a month to opening day, so I need to get a wriggle on with this. At least with the second hull I will be in the novel position of having done it before.

I needed to figure out where the beams need to be positioned and not wanting to trust the boat how it was, I printed the Paper Tiger measurement rules.
    The base of the transom is the datum for the hulls. I needed to set up a stringline from the bow to 405mm above the transom base.
    Using a framing square I marked a dot on the string where a line at 90 degrees to the stringline touches the transom base.
    [IMG]

I then needed to measure along the string forward and dropped down at 90 degrees again to locate the centrelines of the beams.
    Arcane but unambiguous, as all measurement rules need to be.

This allowed me to then locate the extra wide section of the gunwale for hiking. (no more than 40 mm wide).

I'm getting more comfortable cutting scarfs, although Cedar is a pleasure with sharp tools.

[IMG]

All clamped up and squeeze out scraped off!
    [IMG]
    The wider bit of gunwale is in the foreground.

[IMG]

Looks easy there but I was a bit of a one armed paper hanger for awhile there.
    The staples weren't quite long enough to hold the timber on, so quick thinking and a "don't try this at home moment" with a cable tie holding the safety back on the air brad nailer allowed me to fire nails at it from a distance so the heads stuck out and can be removed.

This afternoon I pulled out all the nails and staples.
    Then I sanded all the glue blobs off the cedar and the trusty Stanley 78 got a bit of work taking the gunwale down to size top and bottom. I like this tool more the more I use it.

[IMG]

I then sanded the deck and rails to get it all even and got rid of the resin lumps and bumps after coating the deck with epoxy.

After that I got busy with the router shaping the gunwale.
    6 mm round over for the bulk of it.
    I used an Ogee bit on the underneath of the wider piece for sitting on, then a 12 mm round over bit for the top edge. I blended to the rest of the rail with a chisel and sandpaper.
    Then I gave everything another coat of epoxy to seal it all.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I'm itching to get started on the other hull, but resisted the urge to move this one out to the carport before coating it.
    I think I'll move it out there tomorrow and wait until the second one is at this stage before varnishing both at the same time.
    I'll have to touch up some paint as well, but will wait to see how much is needed on the second hull before committing to much effort.