Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: How much does a free boat cost?

Default Re: How much does a free boat cost?

It was too windy for racing today, so I came home and started shaping the centre cases to fit the new boards.
    They are sized to take the original boards, so there was plenty of hole to fill.

I needed to set the board rake to the optimum angle, as measured from one of the club members boats. The trailing edge needs to be as far back as possible to get pointing upwind and a light helm.
    I sanded back the paint, and taped the board so it wouldn't stick to the epoxy and 410 goop.
    I also checked the measurement from the back of the case to the transom which is class controlled. I ended up in the middle of the range.
    The piece of foam is to limit how much filler goes in front of the board.
    5 minutes after filling this is how it looked! That 410 microlight is really saggy.

The trusty packing tape came to the rescue again!

I'll wait for the epoxy to set and get the board out before doing the second one. There is no point "glueing" both in if I can't get this one out easily!

The board came out easily this morning so I proceeded with the second one.
    The photo is looking down the centrecase.

The droopy nature of the 410 powder had an upside in that it self levelled inside the case.
    The second one is curing now.
    I'll give them a quick sand in a couple of days and get another coat of filler in there to get it fair.
    The holes will probably also need a quick opening out to allow the boards to slide easily.

I am also making new guides for the top of the boards from some 4mm ply.
    There have been a few variations on the board control lines, so I took the opportunity to cover all the extra screw holes up with bigger than strictly necessary covers.
    I traced the shape onto them and cut the holes with my Triton saw bench with a jigsaw poking out of a spare deck.

[IMG]

I'd not used the table this way before but it was easy to control, so I was able to follow the line rather than allowing filing/sanding room.

I sanded the epoxy that was moulded around the boards back to fair.
    It was at this point I realised that the 410 is probably too soft to handle the bumps and scrapes of being on the keel.
    I was correct in this point, as when I unloaded at the yacht club on Sunday part of the fairing broke away.
    I'm still thinking about how to proceed at this point.
    I could;
    remove the 410 filler and repeat the process using either 417 low density powder which is strongebr /> make an insert out of carbon
    make an insert out of wood

Sunday morning I mounted the top guides onto the deck and adjusted them so the boards slid nicely.
    I then went to Muritai yacht club on the other side of the harbour, and got ready for an Anzac Day regatta.

[IMG]
    The flag on the club indicates what happened next.
    For another week in a row, the wind got up to around 25, gusting up to 40 knots.
    So, pack up and go home, boo! That is it for the season.
    I went to the marina and did some work on building a quarter berth for Haumuri instead.
    Wedged up under the deck beats sailing any day?

In a bid to stop myself from bringing home another orphan yacht that needs a heap of work, I've brought the PT home and am going to strip and paint the hulls over the winter.
    I also need to improve the strength of the centre board slot faring.

I'm still ruminating how that will be done.
    I could use the carbon that I've got,
    or insert and shape some 4mm ply or solid timber (thinking teak so I don't have to worry about finish),
    or repeat what I did but with glue powder rather than fairing powder.
    I'm leaning towards the glue powder.

I'll remove the beams and get the hulls upside down in the shed for best access to the slots.

The shed got a bit of a clear out, and I swept the floor.
    I widened the sawhorses to take both hulls.

Both hulls in there is a bit tight.

I'm gonna do the sanding and other work one at a time, then try painting with them both in there.

I got started with the sander to see how it was going to go.
    I got the visible area done in 45 minutes, so not too onerous.

The topcoat is hard and brittle, so must be a 2 pot. I'm endeavoring to get all of that off as it won't feather to a nice edge.

2nd evening of sanding I got the whole of the bottom, one side and the transom done in a bit more than an hour.

There will be some fairing compound required, but I need to keep the weight down as much as possible.

The centrecase fairing that needs another go with something tougher.

You can also see how far out of whack the Centre cases were installed in the hulls.
    The board exit hole is on the centreline, but is on one side of the case!

Over the weekend I got the other hull sanded.
    I was tossing up whether to use the oil based paint that I have, or splash out and buy some 2 pot reaction lacquer.
    The 2 pot is tougher and shinier, but I was mainly after the weight saving that could be had.
    I decided to weigh the hulls, one stripped of paint and the other still painted.
    The unpainted and partially stripped of fittings one was 26kg and the painted one was 27.5 kg.
    Unfortunately the competitive weight for the class is around 18kg (although I'm not sure how stripped that is of fittings, but probably everything off).
    I'm never going to get them down to that, so the paint I have on hand is going on.
    If I get serious, new hulls are in my future!

I also routed the gunnels at 45 degrees to take some bulk off them.
    This shot shows how much I took off, with the sawhorse stopping play.

I then filled some cracks where the gunnels join the hull, and epoxy puttied the centreboard penetrations to back up the fairing powder I originally filled them with.
    I used some Norski branded epoxy putty that was 2:1 and man it was THICK. It was perfect, as it held it's shape after being moulded into the aperture.
    I'm going to rout the filler down a couple of mm below the hull surface, and insert a layer of carbon tape in there to strengthen the fairing.

I have been working on the boat, promise.
    Since the last post, I've sanded the epoxy putty around the centreboard case, and then used the router to cut down about 3 mm around the centreboard case to put something stronger in there.
    I toyed with carbon fibre, but it was getting a bit fussy so I filled it back up with epoxy and West 417.
    This, with the putty has added a lot more meat.
    I also filled the drain bung holes, as I'm planning on the hulls being dry now internally. Haha! I'll just use a sponge if necessary.
    All the low spots and dings that appeared while sanding had been marked with a pencil, so I filled them with epoxy and fairing powder.
    Sanding most of that off and refilling a couple of spots that weren't quite right is where I'm currently up to in the photo.
    My RO sander skills seem to be up to the task as the gloved hand rub down test came up really good.

We've had some pretty cold weather this week, so I had to run the fan heater on the bench one evening for a few hours to get the epoxy to kick. I've then left it 48 hours before touching it.
    I'm sanding with a festool sander and extraction, so the dust has been contained.
    Another 24 hours before I can sand those last couple of spots, then I'm into the primer.
    I bought another 4 litre tin of International epoxy primer and hardener, to seal the hull.
    Since the last purchase it has gone from $179 to $250. The West powders have gone up by the same factor.
    This game is getting pricey!!

Tonight I got the first coat of Epoxy primer on with a mini roller.

This stuff is 10 hours min recoat time in 7 Deg C.
    The coat of paint showed up a couple of dings that need a bit of filler, so I'll use some polyester filler in the morning (sat), give that a quick sand of the filler, and get another coat on.

So the question remains... how much does a free boat cost?
    Looks like your having fun though!

I went for a sail after replacing 2 rivets, and I guess I could have stopped spending at that point.
    I stopped counting once it was road legal and ready to go racing.
    The rest of the money I've spent since, you may have to spend even if you had spent $3000 on a "ready to go" boat trying to make it go faster.
    Plenty of fun has been had!

I got the 2nd coat of primer on this afternoon.

I scanned the shed for the topcoat, but it's not there.
    It must be in the boatshed, so hopefully I can get it tomorrow.

I got the tins of topcoat, more 320 grit sand paper, gloves and turps.
    Lucky for me, as we are confined to home until the end of the week as a covid precaution.
    I've sanded the primer with 100 grit on slow speed with the Festool, and am hand sanding the chines and gunwales to get ready for the topcoats.
    It's not perfect, but is a heap better than it was, so happy to proceed.

As I'm on a crash course in using a spray gun for the final coats of this, I decided to spray a coat of oil based primer over the 2 pot.

It went on pretty rough and ready and there were a few new combinations of curse words. Luckily it was pretty thick so there was plenty of material to sand it smooth again.
    When cleaning up the sprayer afterwards with the airgun I managed to blow a piece out of my hand over the bank into the bush.
    I just cracked up laughing and went for a look.
    It only took 5 minutes of hanging from trees scrambling around, but i did find it. Lucky boy!

Today, after sanding it down again, I prepped for the yellow topcoat.
    I thinned the same amount of paint down as the primer (although it was thinner).
    It went on a heap better, and I'd give myself a 4 out of 10 for a first coat.

There is still some sanding to do before another blow over. It's pretty transparent, so probably 2 more coats at the current application rate.
    I used about 30% of the paint I used for the primer to give an indication of the thickness of the primer!
    Hopefully by the time I get a final coat on, it will be presentable at the yacht club. fingers crossed!
    I'm using an electric sprayer, but I can see that an awesome coat is possible if I manage to get the technique correct.

The second topcoat got a 5 out of 10 as there were a few runs. I'm just starting to block sand it with 220 grit in this photo.

Most of the runs were on the second hull that was sprayed with another batch of paint that was a bit thinner I think.
    I didn't check the gun flow properly and put it on too thick in places.
    3 hours of sanding it back to get rid of the runs was a little frustrating/boring.
    I got a third coat on this afternoon. It look good so far!
    This is all a learning experience, and it is going on thin so I'm not worried about weight too much.

Finally got the yellow to a point I was happy with.
    Everyone says that it's all in the prep which I know, but spraying is so much more demanding because the paint is so thin.
    Anyway, this morning I got brave and sprayed the orange blend onto the back of the hulls.
    It will get another coat to the solid orange, so I can do some touchup to the blend, but less is more in this case!

Looks good Slacko.
    What paint are you using? I might get round to flashing up the sunburst some year.

The paint is Dulux "Super Enamel" Oil based enamel.
    Bunnings were going away from it, so it was $40 for 4 litres of the yellow. The orange was more for 1 litre!
    I've got enough paint left over from painting the boat and the trailer for 2 repaints.

I finally got the paint to an acceptable level.
    With a bit more time, I could get OK at that game.
    The blend from yellow to Orange came out OK, and it certainly pops!
    It was nice to peel all the plastic and tape off to reveal the next stage of the job, which is refinishing the gunwale varnish.

There was a ding in the stern of one of the hulls so I cut it back to install a dutchman.

Having clamps large enough to do this is one of the advantages of Cataramans!

Now I have to wait 24 hours before planing that back and getting a coat of varnish on.

I've shaped that dutchman and now have 3 coats of varnish on the timber. The first two coats were thinned with Turps.
    I'll get one more coat on then flip the hulls over. The deck varnish needs a touchup as well.

Gratuitous finished photo.

I'm waiting a week after finishing topcoats for the paint to harden as per the instructions on the tin.

Getting closer.
    I got the graphics cut and installed over the weekend.

I then got them back in the shed the other way up so I could repair some damage to the varnished decks.
    There were a few scratches that needed to be sanded and filled.

I dug them out and filled with straight epoxy.
    Then I sanded them back flat, and gave the whole deck a sand with 220 grit.
    I sanded out a couple of gunwale dings and it is ready for a few coats of varnish.