Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

Default Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

Kind of a companion thread to my Where were you born? thread...

The house I grew up in has been heavily remodeled and added on to, but even without that it would be waaay out of my price range.

As remodeled, the Livonia house is probably worth almost 500k, but any house in that neighborhood would sell for 375k or more.

Right now my place is worth somewhere between 140-150k, and it's paid for...and the property taxes are about 2k per year.

Jeff C

Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

The opposite direction for me. My current home would sell for 5 times the current value of the last home I lived in with my parents.

Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

Easily, but I wouldn't want to......
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Sure lands still cheap here and I built the house, I would need a trade or three but yes
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...arch/Porter_ME

Lots of other towns in the area

My wife always had a decent job, but I struggled most of the time working for poor wages. We also made a few mistakes, and we had some bad luck.

It is what it is--and I'm much better off than many people, so I count my blessings.

Jeff C

We moved several times while I was growing up, but I could easily afford to live in any one of them now. The house I'm in now has them all beat. It's no million dollar mansion, but it is nice.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    We moved several times while I was growing up, but I could easily afford to live in any one of them now. The house I'm in now has them all beat. It's no million dollar mansion, but it is nice.
    If we're talking about the house you posted pictures of it's very nice indeed!

Jeff C

Could I afford it? I 'spose so - but it'd be a big stretch. Would I? Sure - if you moved it from what used to be rural CT up here to VT.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    Easily, but I wouldn't want to......
    What Jack said.
    If you don't know where you're going, you might not end up there.-Yogi Berra

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    My wife always had a decent job, but I struggled most of the time working for poor wages. We also made a few mistakes, and we had some bad luck.

It is what it is--and I'm much better off than many people, so I count my blessings.
    I might also add that I spent most of my day off today at the beach--so I'm doing just fine.

Jeff C

The black family who live in the house I remember as a kid, are taking good care of their home, and could sell it for a substantial profit if they wished to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Kind of a companion thread to my Where were you born? thread...

The house I grew up in has been heavily remodeled and added on to, but even without that it would be waaay out of my price range.

As remodeled, the Livonia house is probably worth almost 500k, but any house in that neighborhood would sell for 375k or more.

Right now my place is worth somewhere between 140-150k, and it's paid for...and the property taxes are about 2k per year.

Jeff C
    The house I was born in was on a double lot. It seems the extra lot has a 2 story house on it. The original house is still on the lot. I could afford either or both.
    Life is complex.

Interesting timing. I was just back in Willingboro and Cranford, the two towns in New Jersey I grew up in, for the first time in 50 years in one case, the first time in around 40 in the other. It was very interesting.

Willingboro used to be Levittown NJ, suburb of Philly. We moved in when it was still being built in 1959. Levitt pretty much invented 20th century mass-produced suburbia, and the town was solidly middle-middle class when I lived there, although with a pretty wide range. They wouldn't sell to African-Americans in some Levittowns, but I think that was overturned by the courts before they built the NJ town; there were black kids in my elementary school. Well, now my old neighborhood isn't a slum, but pretty close. As far as I can tell it's 100% African-American, (the whole town's 75% black according to the 2010 census) some of the houses (not all) are in pretty awful shape, a few boarded up. It's lower middle class at best, pretty much struggling. You can buy a house there for a low of about $60K for a boarded-up foreclosure, to about $200K for one in good shape. Average seems about $120K, which is VERY cheap for that part of the world. I could certainly afford to live there, but probably wouldn't want to. As far as I can tell, it seems a place where folks from the slums of Philadelphia can buy a house and give their kids a yard to play in; not a bad thing, but definitely not what it used to be. Here's the house; 3BR, about 1500 square feet. It looked better when we lived there.

Cranford, OTOH ,seems to have moved up a notch socioeconomically, from slightly above the middle to seriously upper-middle class. The houses look great; the one I lived in is now in considerably nicer condition than when I was there (we moved in 1970). The businesses downtown have switched from things like a hobby shop, five-and-dime, and camera store to nice restaurants and fancy clothing stores. We had dinner in an excellent Greek place. Houses are mostly $500-650K on the north side where I lived, a little less on the south side which has older and smaller houses on smaller lots. I could probably live there if I commuted into NYC since salaries are a bit higher, but it's not at all cheap. OTOH, that's an expensive part of the US. Here's the house.

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-02-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Yes.

House prices in Sydney are among the world's highest. My last family home now has an estimated value of around $4.5 million - but my mum was a schoolteacher who was widowed when pregnant with her fourth child so it's obvious it was vastly cheaper when she bought it. The house sits on the edge of Sydney harbour; so close you can literally jump out of the front windows into the harbour.

The silly thing is that we could afford it now, because our own places have gone up despite the fact that neither of us have particularly high-paying jobs. It's all completely unrealistic.
    Last edited by Chris249; 08-02-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Yes. Astoria, Oregon has experienced a bit of a blossoming in the last few decades, and recovered from the loss of logging and fishing employment. Now it's more diversified, and more dependent on tourism of various sorts. But I'm sure the nice 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, daylight basement, wood-furnace-heated home I grew up in would be nowhere near the price of the house we own in Portland.

Portland real estate has gone crazy. The very small 4 bedroom we bought in the early 80's in NW (a very desirable neighborhood) for under $50k is probably worth about 12-15 times that now. Our current home in Rose City (a nice but not glamorous neighborhood) is paid off, and would probably clock in at about 10X what the purchase price was.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I grew up in Auckland NZ and that street now averages $1.3 million ... so NO. My current place is fine but is less than half $1.3m.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Interesting timing. I was just back in Willingboro and Cranford, the two towns in New Jersey I grew up in, for the first time in 50 years in one case, the first time in around 40 in the other. It was very interesting.

Willingboro used to be Levittown NJ, suburb of Philly. We moved in when it was still being built in 1959. Levitt pretty much invented 20th century mass-produced suburbia, and the town was solidly middle-middle class when I lived there, although with a pretty wide range. They wouldn't sell to African-Americans in some Levittowns, but I think that was overturned by the courts before they built the NJ town; there were black kids in my elementary school. Well, now my old neighborhood isn't a slum, but pretty close. As far as I can tell it's 100% African-American, (the whole town's 75% black according to the 2010 census) some of the houses (not all) are in pretty awful shape, a few boarded up. It's lower middle class at best, pretty much struggling. You can buy a house there for a low of about $60K for a boarded-up foreclosure, to about $200K for one in good shape. Average seems about $120K, which is VERY cheap for that part of the world. I could certainly afford to live there, but probably wouldn't want to. As far as I can tell, it seems a place where folks from the slums of Philadelphia can buy a house and give their kids a yard to play in; not a bad thing, but definitely not what it used to be. Here's the house; 3BR, about 1500 square feet. It looked better when we lived there.

Cranford, OTOH ,seems to have moved up a notch socioeconomically, from slightly above the middle to seriously upper-middle class. The houses look great; the one I lived in is now in considerably nicer condition than when I was there (we moved in 1970). The businesses downtown have switched from things like a hobby shop, five-and-dime, and camera store to nice restaurants and fancy clothing stores. We had dinner in an excellent Greek place. Houses are mostly $500-650K on the north side where I lived, a little less on the south side which has older and smaller houses on smaller lots. I could probably live there if I commuted into NYC since salaries are a bit higher, but it's not at all cheap. OTOH, that's an expensive part of the US. Here's the house.

I took the little yellow Google Maps guy for a walk around Willingsboro and it appeared superficially affluent - huge blocks compared to what I'm used to. The poorer parts of Sydney seem rougher and poorer than that. It's interesting to see how different standards are from country to country. Perhaps it's something as simple as people from the USA preferring larger wooden houses whereas we choose smaller brick veneer ones or something?

No, but then I never wanted to even when I had the opportunity.

But I half grew up in the country, half in the city near the sea. These days I have the best of both worlds.

North philly, not gentrified. I could buy the block. Half abandoned, copper tubing gone. I could line there but I'd have to walk the dog with a tommy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I took the little yellow Google Maps guy for a walk around Willingsboro and it appeared superficially affluent - huge blocks compared to what I'm used to. The poorer parts of Sydney seem rougher and poorer than that. It's interesting to see how different standards are from country to country. Perhaps it's something as simple as people from the USA preferring larger wooden houses whereas we choose smaller brick veneer ones or something?
    I think one major point is that it's a formerly middle-class suburb that's now poorer. Some of the houses are in pretty rough shape, but the lots are the same size they always were. I just tried Google Street View, and you can't really see the condition of the houses. You can start at 15 Buttercup Lane (really) if you want to walk around my old neighborhood. A curious thing is that a lot of the bushes seem to have disappeared since they took the Google pictures.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-02-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Ah, OK; I was just struck by the sizes of the blocks, and some of the cars. Sydney and the surrounding cities are heavily constrained by geography so our block size seems to be smaller since mountains, national parks and the coast constrain the space for development. And with the median house price in Sydney at $1.15 mill and a quarter century of economic good times (albeit only for the rich) there's possibly not much space to go down-market; if the house is not government-owned then the working poor can't afford it. It's a failure of government policy that has no good outcome.

We also may be less into nice gardens than you guys are, as a rough generalisation! I' fairly sure than in sailing craft, people from the USA spend more on maintenance than the typical comparable Aussie and probably more than the typical Brit. Such things obviously vary across nations; I think many Germans would be shocked at the way we keep our boats and houses.
    Last edited by Chris249; 08-02-2017 at 11:03 PM.

We lived in a bunch of places over the years. Could probably own 3 of them, but not 2 others.

Of course, Dad couldn't at the time either. He was a minister, and at that time the norm in our brand was to live in a manse, a house provided by the congregation. Upside is that we lived easily where Dad worked; downside is it wasn't ever possible to build his own equity that way. It's why the usual model for clergy housing has changed.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Although the day to day cost of living would be the same, like most previous posts the price of property nearer to London and the continent would make the move unaffordable.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I grew up in a solidly middle class house, a 3 bedroom split level, on a very small plot... not positive, but I think houses in my old neighborhood in NJ go for around $350K or so... I know my parents sold the house, in 1985, for around $190K (they bought it, brand new, in 1953, for $12K).

Nowadays, I'd describe it as a upper-level blue collar neighborhood. Many of the original owners worked at the GM plant in town, assembling Pontiacs and Buicks... or worked for one of the refineries on the eastern side of town (Cities Service, which became Citgo, and Esso, which became Exxon). My Dad was a small business owner... we lived no differently than most others, although my father was a conservative investor all his life, so in retirement, my parents lived on a higher level than that.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

My parents (when they were a young couple) were the last middle class family who could afford anything in Marblehead.

We were/ are very lucky to have bought a multi-family on Munjoy Hill, Portland, ME 20 years ago. That neighborhood went from working class to wicked high end overnight.
    Study Peace

Hmmm... where would that be? Probably couldn't afford Athens GA. Definitely not the Toronto Islands. One of the Arctic research camps I lived in is gone, not sure about the other one but I couldn't live there in any case. St Andrews, don't think so. Either of the houses in the suburbs of Winnipeg would be more than I'd want to pay for a house.

No, I think we'll stay where we are, unless there's a pleasant monetary surprise in store.

What are you doing about it?

No. That house is a mile south of here. Dad bought it in 1950 for about 2 1/2 times his annual income at the time. It would cost me about eight times my income now.

The people behind us, now dead, bought their house for $5,500 in 1943. Their kids sold it this March for $750,000 to people who will bulldoze it and build a new house. Housing in Seattle is crazy expensive. My kids will not be able to live here and own property
    Elect a clown expect a circus

The house I lived in until age 8 (typical dumb-developer's raised-ranch thing), yes we could swing that.
    The house we built after that one... Yeah I could buy it but I really don't want to live there. I'd need to put at least 150k into reconfiguration, and really I'd rather put that money into a different location.

Really-really I'd rather buy a lot less house and a lot more boat.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

An interesting point: none of the calculations here involve the day-to-day cost of living; food, heat, taxes, electricity, transportation, none of that. That doesn't vary much. It's all the cost of housing, which varies enormously, both over time and by location.

Richard Feynman

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Simple answer, NO!

No. To add insult to injury, houses like our little vacation cottage are now going for top dollar only to be taken down and replaced with $1M monstrosities.

The house I spent most of my "growing up" time in as a child is gone. It is now a mini mall. No way could I afford to buy even the lot the box stores are on, much less the entire 100 acre parcel. (I weep for the topsoil, too. Gone, gone, gone. Eons of geological wizardry scaled away clean...)

After that, it was Section 8 apartments until I moved out. Thankfully, I don't qualify for that anymore.

Peace,
    Robert

paved paradise and put up a parking lot?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.