Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 53

Thread: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,850

    Default Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Kind of a companion thread to my Where were you born? thread...

    The house I grew up in has been heavily remodeled and added on to, but even without that it would be waaay out of my price range.

    As remodeled, the Livonia house is probably worth almost 500k, but any house in that neighborhood would sell for 375k or more.

    Right now my place is worth somewhere between 140-150k, and it's paid for...and the property taxes are about 2k per year.

    Jeff C

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,026

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    The opposite direction for me. My current home would sell for 5 times the current value of the last home I lived in with my parents.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    central, FL
    Posts
    13,703

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Easily, but I wouldn't want to......
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

  4. #4

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Sure lands still cheap here and I built the house, I would need a trade or three but yes
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...arch/Porter_ME

    Lots of other towns in the area

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,850

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    My wife always had a decent job, but I struggled most of the time working for poor wages. We also made a few mistakes, and we had some bad luck.

    It is what it is--and I'm much better off than many people, so I count my blessings.

    Jeff C

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,715

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    We moved several times while I was growing up, but I could easily afford to live in any one of them now. The house I'm in now has them all beat. It's no million dollar mansion, but it is nice.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,850

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    We moved several times while I was growing up, but I could easily afford to live in any one of them now. The house I'm in now has them all beat. It's no million dollar mansion, but it is nice.
    If we're talking about the house you posted pictures of it's very nice indeed!

    Jeff C

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    21,273

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Could I afford it? I 'spose so - but it'd be a big stretch. Would I? Sure - if you moved it from what used to be rural CT up here to VT.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Western Michigan
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    Easily, but I wouldn't want to......
    What Jack said.
    If you don't know where you're going, you might not end up there.-Yogi Berra

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,650

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Yes.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,850

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    My wife always had a decent job, but I struggled most of the time working for poor wages. We also made a few mistakes, and we had some bad luck.

    It is what it is--and I'm much better off than many people, so I count my blessings.
    I might also add that I spent most of my day off today at the beach--so I'm doing just fine.

    Jeff C

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks USA
    Posts
    9,767

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    The black family who live in the house I remember as a kid, are taking good care of their home, and could sell it for a substantial profit if they wished to do so.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitty Hawk, NC
    Posts
    5,912

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Kind of a companion thread to my Where were you born? thread...

    The house I grew up in has been heavily remodeled and added on to, but even without that it would be waaay out of my price range.

    As remodeled, the Livonia house is probably worth almost 500k, but any house in that neighborhood would sell for 375k or more.

    Right now my place is worth somewhere between 140-150k, and it's paid for...and the property taxes are about 2k per year.

    Jeff C
    The house I was born in was on a double lot. It seems the extra lot has a 2 story house on it. The original house is still on the lot. I could afford either or both.
    Life is complex.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    46,667

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Interesting timing. I was just back in Willingboro and Cranford, the two towns in New Jersey I grew up in, for the first time in 50 years in one case, the first time in around 40 in the other. It was very interesting.

    Willingboro used to be Levittown NJ, suburb of Philly. We moved in when it was still being built in 1959. Levitt pretty much invented 20th century mass-produced suburbia, and the town was solidly middle-middle class when I lived there, although with a pretty wide range. They wouldn't sell to African-Americans in some Levittowns, but I think that was overturned by the courts before they built the NJ town; there were black kids in my elementary school. Well, now my old neighborhood isn't a slum, but pretty close. As far as I can tell it's 100% African-American, (the whole town's 75% black according to the 2010 census) some of the houses (not all) are in pretty awful shape, a few boarded up. It's lower middle class at best, pretty much struggling. You can buy a house there for a low of about $60K for a boarded-up foreclosure, to about $200K for one in good shape. Average seems about $120K, which is VERY cheap for that part of the world. I could certainly afford to live there, but probably wouldn't want to. As far as I can tell, it seems a place where folks from the slums of Philadelphia can buy a house and give their kids a yard to play in; not a bad thing, but definitely not what it used to be. Here's the house; 3BR, about 1500 square feet. It looked better when we lived there.



    Cranford, OTOH ,seems to have moved up a notch socioeconomically, from slightly above the middle to seriously upper-middle class. The houses look great; the one I lived in is now in considerably nicer condition than when I was there (we moved in 1970). The businesses downtown have switched from things like a hobby shop, five-and-dime, and camera store to nice restaurants and fancy clothing stores. We had dinner in an excellent Greek place. Houses are mostly $500-650K on the north side where I lived, a little less on the south side which has older and smaller houses on smaller lots. I could probably live there if I commuted into NYC since salaries are a bit higher, but it's not at all cheap. OTOH, that's an expensive part of the US. Here's the house.

    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-02-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    8,518

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Yes.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,506

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    House prices in Sydney are among the world's highest. My last family home now has an estimated value of around $4.5 million - but my mum was a schoolteacher who was widowed when pregnant with her fourth child so it's obvious it was vastly cheaper when she bought it. The house sits on the edge of Sydney harbour; so close you can literally jump out of the front windows into the harbour.

    The silly thing is that we could afford it now, because our own places have gone up despite the fact that neither of us have particularly high-paying jobs. It's all completely unrealistic.
    Last edited by Chris249; 08-02-2017 at 10:33 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    42,312

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Yes. Astoria, Oregon has experienced a bit of a blossoming in the last few decades, and recovered from the loss of logging and fishing employment. Now it's more diversified, and more dependent on tourism of various sorts. But I'm sure the nice 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, daylight basement, wood-furnace-heated home I grew up in would be nowhere near the price of the house we own in Portland.

    Portland real estate has gone crazy. The very small 4 bedroom we bought in the early 80's in NW (a very desirable neighborhood) for under $50k is probably worth about 12-15 times that now. Our current home in Rose City (a nice but not glamorous neighborhood) is paid off, and would probably clock in at about 10X what the purchase price was.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    64,228

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    I grew up in Auckland NZ and that street now averages $1.3 million ... so NO. My current place is fine but is less than half $1.3m.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,506

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Interesting timing. I was just back in Willingboro and Cranford, the two towns in New Jersey I grew up in, for the first time in 50 years in one case, the first time in around 40 in the other. It was very interesting.

    Willingboro used to be Levittown NJ, suburb of Philly. We moved in when it was still being built in 1959. Levitt pretty much invented 20th century mass-produced suburbia, and the town was solidly middle-middle class when I lived there, although with a pretty wide range. They wouldn't sell to African-Americans in some Levittowns, but I think that was overturned by the courts before they built the NJ town; there were black kids in my elementary school. Well, now my old neighborhood isn't a slum, but pretty close. As far as I can tell it's 100% African-American, (the whole town's 75% black according to the 2010 census) some of the houses (not all) are in pretty awful shape, a few boarded up. It's lower middle class at best, pretty much struggling. You can buy a house there for a low of about $60K for a boarded-up foreclosure, to about $200K for one in good shape. Average seems about $120K, which is VERY cheap for that part of the world. I could certainly afford to live there, but probably wouldn't want to. As far as I can tell, it seems a place where folks from the slums of Philadelphia can buy a house and give their kids a yard to play in; not a bad thing, but definitely not what it used to be. Here's the house; 3BR, about 1500 square feet. It looked better when we lived there.



    Cranford, OTOH ,seems to have moved up a notch socioeconomically, from slightly above the middle to seriously upper-middle class. The houses look great; the one I lived in is now in considerably nicer condition than when I was there (we moved in 1970). The businesses downtown have switched from things like a hobby shop, five-and-dime, and camera store to nice restaurants and fancy clothing stores. We had dinner in an excellent Greek place. Houses are mostly $500-650K on the north side where I lived, a little less on the south side which has older and smaller houses on smaller lots. I could probably live there if I commuted into NYC since salaries are a bit higher, but it's not at all cheap. OTOH, that's an expensive part of the US. Here's the house.

    I took the little yellow Google Maps guy for a walk around Willingsboro and it appeared superficially affluent - huge blocks compared to what I'm used to. The poorer parts of Sydney seem rougher and poorer than that. It's interesting to see how different standards are from country to country. Perhaps it's something as simple as people from the USA preferring larger wooden houses whereas we choose smaller brick veneer ones or something?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    45,195

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    No, but then I never wanted to even when I had the opportunity.

    But I half grew up in the country, half in the city near the sea. These days I have the best of both worlds.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New jersey
    Posts
    2,499

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    North philly, not gentrified. I could buy the block. Half abandoned, copper tubing gone. I could line there but I'd have to walk the dog with a tommy gun.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    46,667

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I took the little yellow Google Maps guy for a walk around Willingsboro and it appeared superficially affluent - huge blocks compared to what I'm used to. The poorer parts of Sydney seem rougher and poorer than that. It's interesting to see how different standards are from country to country. Perhaps it's something as simple as people from the USA preferring larger wooden houses whereas we choose smaller brick veneer ones or something?
    I think one major point is that it's a formerly middle-class suburb that's now poorer. Some of the houses are in pretty rough shape, but the lots are the same size they always were. I just tried Google Street View, and you can't really see the condition of the houses. You can start at 15 Buttercup Lane (really) if you want to walk around my old neighborhood. A curious thing is that a lot of the bushes seem to have disappeared since they took the Google pictures.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-02-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,506

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Ah, OK; I was just struck by the sizes of the blocks, and some of the cars. Sydney and the surrounding cities are heavily constrained by geography so our block size seems to be smaller since mountains, national parks and the coast constrain the space for development. And with the median house price in Sydney at $1.15 mill and a quarter century of economic good times (albeit only for the rich) there's possibly not much space to go down-market; if the house is not government-owned then the working poor can't afford it. It's a failure of government policy that has no good outcome.

    We also may be less into nice gardens than you guys are, as a rough generalisation! I' fairly sure than in sailing craft, people from the USA spend more on maintenance than the typical comparable Aussie and probably more than the typical Brit. Such things obviously vary across nations; I think many Germans would be shocked at the way we keep our boats and houses.
    Last edited by Chris249; 08-02-2017 at 11:03 PM.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    32,502

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    We lived in a bunch of places over the years. Could probably own 3 of them, but not 2 others.

    Of course, Dad couldn't at the time either. He was a minister, and at that time the norm in our brand was to live in a manse, a house provided by the congregation. Upside is that we lived easily where Dad worked; downside is it wasn't ever possible to build his own equity that way. It's why the usual model for clergy housing has changed.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    35,726

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Although the day to day cost of living would be the same, like most previous posts the price of property nearer to London and the continent would make the move unaffordable.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    17,482

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    I grew up in a solidly middle class house, a 3 bedroom split level, on a very small plot... not positive, but I think houses in my old neighborhood in NJ go for around $350K or so... I know my parents sold the house, in 1985, for around $190K (they bought it, brand new, in 1953, for $12K).

    Nowadays, I'd describe it as a upper-level blue collar neighborhood. Many of the original owners worked at the GM plant in town, assembling Pontiacs and Buicks... or worked for one of the refineries on the eastern side of town (Cities Service, which became Citgo, and Esso, which became Exxon). My Dad was a small business owner... we lived no differently than most others, although my father was a conservative investor all his life, so in retirement, my parents lived on a higher level than that.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce







  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    12,221

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    My parents (when they were a young couple) were the last middle class family who could afford anything in Marblehead.

    We were/ are very lucky to have bought a multi-family on Munjoy Hill, Portland, ME 20 years ago. That neighborhood went from working class to wicked high end overnight.
    Study Peace

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    15,292

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Hmmm... where would that be? Probably couldn't afford Athens GA. Definitely not the Toronto Islands. One of the Arctic research camps I lived in is gone, not sure about the other one but I couldn't live there in any case. St Andrews, don't think so. Either of the houses in the suburbs of Winnipeg would be more than I'd want to pay for a house.

    No, I think we'll stay where we are, unless there's a pleasant monetary surprise in store.

    What are you doing about it?




  29. #29
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,436

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    No. That house is a mile south of here. Dad bought it in 1950 for about 2 1/2 times his annual income at the time. It would cost me about eight times my income now.

    The people behind us, now dead, bought their house for $5,500 in 1943. Their kids sold it this March for $750,000 to people who will bulldoze it and build a new house. Housing in Seattle is crazy expensive. My kids will not be able to live here and own property
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Too far inland.
    Posts
    7,722

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    The house I lived in until age 8 (typical dumb-developer's raised-ranch thing), yes we could swing that.
    The house we built after that one... Yeah I could buy it but I really don't want to live there. I'd need to put at least 150k into reconfiguration, and really I'd rather put that money into a different location.

    Really-really I'd rather buy a lot less house and a lot more boat.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    46,667

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    An interesting point: none of the calculations here involve the day-to-day cost of living; food, heat, taxes, electricity, transportation, none of that. That doesn't vary much. It's all the cost of housing, which varies enormously, both over time and by location.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    51,529

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    Simple answer, NO!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,861

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    No. To add insult to injury, houses like our little vacation cottage are now going for top dollar only to be taken down and replaced with $1M monstrosities.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    11,155

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    The house I spent most of my "growing up" time in as a child is gone. It is now a mini mall. No way could I afford to buy even the lot the box stores are on, much less the entire 100 acre parcel. (I weep for the topsoil, too. Gone, gone, gone. Eons of geological wizardry scaled away clean...)

    After that, it was Section 8 apartments until I moved out. Thankfully, I don't qualify for that anymore.

    Peace,
    Robert

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    82,359

    Default Re: Could you afford to live now in the house and/or neighborhood you grew up in?

    paved paradise and put up a parking lot?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •