Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Where were you born?

Default Where were you born?

Do you still live there? If not, would you ever think about moving back? What's the best and worst thing about the place...

Jeff C

Default Re: Where were you born?

No I don't, and no I won't.

Not sure what's the best thing about it, but the fact it's Columbus Ohio is the worst.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Earth, still here!

the best thing humans, the worst thing humans!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

CT but, I'm 10th generation Cooperstown, NY. And I live there. Whats the best thing, rural. What's the worst, modern day tourists.

Toronto, but I left at six months and I won't even go there for a visit. Montreal is a much nicer city.

Is this a phishing attempt? Do you want my SSN too? And maybe mother 's maiden name?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Nope and double nope, Rochester NY has a great Iroquois museum and planetarium I seldom visit now my grandparents have passed to be honest we moved to Maine when I was in sixth grade, the ocean and wooded lands called to me I seldom look back.

I'm also from Rochester, NY. I don't think I'd ever live there. I was only there for a year before my family moved to California.

Jeff C

Heh, this question has become a hot potato for our Federal politicians owing to the exclusive citizenship requirement. Pollies born in Canada and India have fallen, there are several under investigation. It's a constitutional thing.
    In a country with a diverse migrant population some countries require awkward renunciation procedures, and some do not recognise such renunciations even from children of migrants born in Aus. It's turning out to be a bit of a minefield.

I was born on an Australian Naval base (mum was visiting) to English/Australian parents.

Kansas City, Mo... Parents moved east when I was a baby. A trip to pick up a dog in St Louis, was as close as I've been since.
    Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

"What happens when the wind stops blowing and we need energy?"
    de TRMP - Pensacola

born at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana. haven't been back since, but I'm guessing the best thing about it is that it's an Air Force base, an environment where I feel extremely comfortable.

Born in Detroit moved when I was 1. Never been back. On to Oak Ridge TN, Whittier CA, Manhasset NY, Cincinnati OH, Richland WA, Seattle WA, Milwaukie OR, and finally, Tacoma WA. Think I'll stay here.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    born at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana. haven't been back since, but I'm guessing the best thing about it is that it's an Air Force base, an environment where I feel extremely comfortable.
    Diana's son and family are there now makes it tough for us to see much of the grand kids.

Texas panhandle. No I don't live there, and I won't ever move back. But I still think its one of the best places on earth. Not for the faint of heart.

In bed. I wanted to be next to me mom.

In a hospital.

In Denver, in a snow storm in November.

No best or worst, no memories. Went back oncet. In a brand new Italian convertible with a 'sister in arms,' for a weekend at her folks house before she shipped out to Germany. Great trip. Didn't stay in jail or nothing.

Left when about 4yrs old, and didn't get very far away. And yes, I might move back.

Danbury Connecticut on August 10, 1948. That being way too far from salt water, about a week after I was born they motored over to Lovers' Leap on the Housatonic, practically at the foot of their last property they bought sixty years later, launched an old canoe, and over a few days paddled down to the Sound. My first post natal cruise.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Danbury Connecticut on August 10, 1948. That being way too far from salt water, about a week after I was born they motored over to Lovers' Leap on the Housatonic, practically at the foot of their last property they bought sixty years later, launched an old canoe, and over a few days paddled down to the Sound. My first post natal cruise.
    Danbury! Never would have guessed Ian. I taught at Wooster School there, not sure if it still exists as a boarding school. I doubt whether it is now. The guy in charge of finances practically bankrupt it and I saw it coming and left.

I was born at Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle, less than a mile from my office. My mother was born on a hospital that was across the street from my office. I have lived in the same one mile radius for a total of 49 years, 19 in one house and 30 in another. My mother, my brothers, my daughter and I all went to the same high school
    Elect a clown expect a circus

NO !!! Bailey Ave in Da Bronx

It was pretty bad 50 years ago its gotten worse.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Born on the first knuckle of your index finger. Still a nice place to visit. Still wouldn't want to live there.

But then again, I'm living as far away from any Great Lake as is possible while still living in the Great Lake State, so maybe I should rethink that answer.
    Last edited by Beowolf; 08-02-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Born in Nyack, NY hospital, closest to home in New City, NY. My father was working on the original Tappan Zee bridge. Alternated between New City and Kinderhook where dad also worked on the Berkshire Thruway (Now Mass Pike). Moved away when I was 5 1/2. Both were then country with room for an inquisitive kid to roam. New City is now real City and I wouldn't move back. Kinderhook still is enough country that I could see living there.

But, I live in the country in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Plenty of country and no snow drifts over the house. I'll stay right here, Thank you!

in the house I live in now
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

In a snug den under a log, dug into a bank, in the Medicine Bow Range of Wyoming.

Here I am teaching my brother to howl. He never learned to do it right.

He didn't live long enough. The ranchers shot and trapped and poisoned all the wolves in these parts.

I left just in time, and have roamed far and wide. But now I'm back, and have lived for some time quite close to where I was born.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

FWIW My wife had lived 47 years within 5 miles of where she was born until she met me and moved 3,000 miles from all that
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Bay View Post
    Kansas City, Mo... Parents moved east when I was a baby. A trip to pick up a dog in St Louis, was as close as I've been since.
    KCMO hasn't changed much since then.
    Wouldn't move back if they gave me the keys to the city.

Winters in Rochester look even worse than here, and I know the local economy is struggling to some degree. The good is that Lake Ontario is close, and New York State is beautiful.

Jeff C

Maumee. Moved to the Heart of Dixie when I was four. I go back infrequently for the walleye run.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    But I still think its one of the best places on earth.
    Interesting. What makes it that way?

Jeff C

Born in Manila, Islas Filipinas. Left at 8 months, never have gone back and never will.

I was born in Chicago, but didn't stay long; I was in PA by three, NJ by four, and NC by sixteen. I came to Minnesota for college, and aside from a couple of years in Costa Rica and a couple of years in California, have been here ever since. It suits me. Chicago is fun to visit, but I don't think I'd want to live there.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Winters in Rochester look even worse than here, and I know the local economy is struggling to some degree. The good is that Lake Ontario is close, and New York State is beautiful.

Jeff C
    Ee
    Oak Orchard has a good salmon run, I've haven't fished the Genesee since a child, I do love sodus point on Ontario many family reunions were held there, the Adirondacks are amazing I could live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    I can't remember where I was born. I was just a little baby.
    I'm relying on an eye witness, who is still alive at 93. Oh, and my long-form birth certificate.

Born in Stamford CT, but my parents were living in New Canaan, then when I was 7 moved to Wilton (IOW 20 miles south of Ian).

No way on God's green earth would I move back there. It was nice small town living with miles & miles of woods behind our house when I was a kid - no more.

Jamie - dunno if Wooster is still going, but had friends who went there.

Brian - I've been working in Columbus a lot lately. Lotso traffic, shootings & murders. However 1.5 hrs NE of the city there's beautiful rolling hills & farms.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Beautiful hamlet in the southern end of the Central Valley called Bakersfield. No reason to return but if circumstances took me there or anywhere I'd make it good.