Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Default Re: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Here is how I built the compass mount for "Bright Star". I don't like to leave my compass out to weather or be stolen so I have it out only when we are under way. When we bought the boat, there was a modestly priced one that looked like it belonged on the dash board of a 1940's Nash Rambler. It was actually held on with a pair of phillips headed steel screws! I wanted a mounting that was secure but easily removed. So this is how it was done. Incidentally. I have a small vintage Atlas Lathe in my shop that can turn work up to six inches in diameter. A small lathe such as this can some times be purchased for as little as three hundred dollars at garage sales. Mine was still in good shape and I added a few extras to it like the taper attachment that works like a charm. A small metal lathe, in the home shop, is an item that I consider to be necessary for any wooden boat owner. It will allow one to make all manner of shieves, pins and other items that will soon allow the machine to pay for itself in making repairs or new items for ones boat. Here is the finished compass mount. Other pictures will follow.
    Jay

I chose to make the 3/4 box shape for the mount to give a solid removable fitting base to bracket the compass to. So I measured the width of the mast, where it was to go and made up the dovetailed sides you see here.
    Jay

I used a dovetail milling bit in order to prevent chip out in the slots I put on the inner sided of the two sided pieces. These pieced mate to the dovetail keys that are screwed into the mast to hold the bracket in place.
    Jay

Here are the bronze dovetail shaped keys I made up on my little six inch Atlas lathe, circa Sears 1950's. Well worth having one for msc. stuff!
    Note the marking pins made out of a couple of wood screws. The were fitted into the slots and the whole works was clamped onto the mast. This made a dimple on the mast on each side whee the keys should be mounted.
    Jay

I still use a Yankee Screw Driver for delicate work. Note that the bit has the side taper ground off to prevent damage when putting a fastening into a counterboard hole.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-06-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Very clever job! Simple is always best. (I prefer the word, "elegant" to "simple," though.

That is slicker than goose poop on a new dock Jay.

Thanks Guys! I am posting a lot of trick stuff here that might be of interest so I hope you will check out this thread from time to time. I didn't drill the butt of the mizzen to run wires up for the compass light as I am bulding a new set of spars this winter.

By the way, I don't know anything about boats! I guess I am just lucky that I haven't had any of mine sink yet!
    Jay

I agree with Bob, a very elegant solution.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Very clever solution Jay. Looking forward to seeing what else you have come up with. I'll be checking back for sure.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Thanks Sailor! Good stuff to come! Here is another photo that shows one of the dove tail keys being cut from bronze bar stock on the little Atlas lathe.
    Jay

Very nice work Jay, but what I appreciate more are your photos. You are obviously not a beginner photographer.

I just shoot what I see. But thanks for the good thoughts Russ.
    Jay

One of the things that has always irked be is the problem of having house flags and burgees foul themselves around their staffs and not fly free and flap in the breeze! So, I made up a set of pig sticks that are anti fouling. What follows is how it was done. Here is a shot of "Bright Star" with her, non fouling, pennants flying.
    Jay

I first drew up the pig sticks to create measurements for the taper just as a mast would be. I then did the layout on some white oak scraps I had. I sawed out the two staffs and planed them smooth and square. The staffs are so small that I had to build a V shaped cradle on the bench to hold them when I went 8 sided with the small scribe I made up with the ball point pen cartridges in it.

Here it is being used to mark the Pig Sticks eight sided.

Next the blanks were set in the V holding jig and planed off to 8 sides. This was finicky work but my wife had given me that tiny jewel of a plane for Christmas and it worked just fine!

More later. I have to down load more photos!
    Jaybird

I made up a pair of straight dowels in the same manner as the tapered "Pig Stick" flag staffs. These fill the luff tapes of the pennants but are attached to the staffs by a pair of pear shaped goose necks that rotate around a brass, step lipped, sleeve. These are fitted to the staffs to allow free rotation at the bottom. The upper ends are attached by a dumbbell shaped toggle that sits on a pivot sleeve made from the male ends of fishing rod connection ferrules. It really cured the problem of fouled pennants! The halyards aloft pass through the pair of Herreshoff mast head fittings I made up and tie to a reduced diameter section of the staffs top and bottom. The knot is a rolling hitch. This works better than a metal fitting on the staffs that would chafe the finish away near the mast heads. It could have been a slot but that would weaken the staffs. So, I went for the reduced diameter to insure knot does not slip. The rolling hitch is simple tie and actually would have been secure without the diameter reduction which was cut by running the staffs over the table saw blade repeatedly at a very tiny height.
    They were repeatedly passed over the blade using miter guide and a stop block on the fence to keep it aligned.

Here you can see one of the diameter reductions that were done on the table saw. There is another for the upper halyard attachment on each staff the knot is is a rolling hitch. The halyards are spliced end for end to allow a continuous loop to to prevent loosing an end and having to climb the stick to
    re-reeve it. Next is how the trucks were made on the little 6" Atlas Lathe. Jay

The truck staffs were turned out of Everdure rod stock again, on the little Atlas Lathe. One of the best investiments i made for this tool was in the form of the taper attachment that can be seen to the rear of the lathe bed. It eliminates the need of off setting the tail stock to achieve a taper on the piece being turned,
    and the hassle involved in re-alighning it when done. I also invested in a quick change tool post and a set of insert cutters. All in all, the little lathe is really a God Send! While I have bigger, more accurate and more rugged tools in my other shop, this little sucker really is the handiest of them all!
    I also turned a set of Lignum Vitae caps for the upper ends of the truck staffs. My jeweler friend Jim Grahl was kind enough to gold plate the tapered rods for me using some dental gold I had been saving for a rainy day. I then assembled the trucks and broke my set rule of using tung oil based varnish for bright work.
    Forgive me, I used "Bristol Finish" on them! They last through the two or three years between freshening up the varnish on the sticks. These spars are small enough to justify pulling then and doing the job on the ground rather than swinging from a boatswains chair in the breeze. I found that the gold is so effective in protecting the bronze from corrosion that they do not need the clear "Bristol Finish" added is it does turn funky after several years exposure to the weather. The lignum vitae needs only a bit of sanding and another coat of the "Bristol" product. It is a combination that lasts!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-07-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Here are the finished trucks. They are made to L Francis's drawings on the H28 plans.
    Jay

Here are the pennants, The BYC burgee and the house flag for our H28. House flag goes on the mizzen mast and the burgee on the main.
    Jay

The flag halyards are put down on lignum vitae cleats that are seized to the stbd. shrouds. More stuff next.
    Jay

I used a pig stick to fly the WoodenBoat burgee on my gaff-rigged sloop. Not half as nice as yours, but they do work great.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Hey Rich, My first ones were made up of birch dowels and welding rod! That was what gave me the idea for these. The important thing is that they work!
    Jay

One nice feature that was added to the interior of "Bright Star" is a cupped grab rail around the interior of the deck house and sill covering board on the interior of the boat. This is wide enough to act as a grab rail and is also very handy for storing msc. items that will fit into it. It is just above the partial bulkhead caps.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    One nice feature that was added to the interior of "Bright Star" is a cupped grab rail around the interior of the deck house and sill covering board on the interior of the boat. This is wide enough to act as a grab rail and is also very handy for storing msc. items that will fit into it. It is just above the partial bulkhead caps.
    Jay
    The grab rail/sill is a great touch Jay, I think originally intended by LFH to also do service as a drip tray for the port-lights with scuppers running back overboard? - it is something that I’ve planned on incorporating and, now that I’ve discovered LED lighting , am also thinking of adding some behind the grab rail as up-lighting.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Greg, That grab rail is really handy when the weather turns snotty and the boat is doing an Aborigine Tap Dance on the wave tops. I will get that deck beam layout for you ASAP.
    Bird

Another boat that had that kind of grab rail incorporated into its cabin space was the Alden schooner "Wanderlure II". It was really handy! The worst cabin space I ever was subjected to was in a Cal 246 I dlivered up from Mexico once. There were no stanchions, grab rails or bars to be seen in the torture saloon! We were force to bounce around like olives in a mason jar that were being tumbled in a cloths drier! For this reason, I also intend to incorporate Larry Pardey's saloon table and stanchions into "Bright Star".
    Jay

"Pig Sticks"?

Can somebody elaborate on where this particular term comes from?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Another boat that had that kind of grab rail incorporated into its cabin space was the Alden schooner "Wanderlure II". It was really handy! The worst cabin space I ever was subjected to was in a Cal 246 I dlivered up from Mexico once. There were no stanchions, grab rails or bars to be seen in the torture saloon! We were force to bounce around like olives in a mason jar that were being tumbled in a cloths drier! For this reason, I also intend to incorporate Larry Pardey's saloon table and stanchions into "Bright Star".
    Jay
    Those 246s were real beasts. They filled a definite hole in the market; but it wasn't to people who actually wanted to do some real sailing. I worked for Mariner Yachts in Newport back in the '70s. We sold a steady stream of those things during the time I was there. The owners loved them. The first time I stepped aboard one, I flashed on the scene you recalled in your post. One of the 246s I commissioned took a trip up the Amazon a couple thousand miles. The owner invited me along. I declined. He had a great trip. I had a great time not being there. I have actually spent time sailing on boats that had interiors that were as bad, or worse than the Cal 246.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

Rattey, I know that boat as that is the one I brought up from Mexico. It actually is reported to have sailed further up the Amazon then any other sailing vessel has before or since. I think the owner said it was 2,000miles! They just kept sailing up the river till the boat ran aground!
    Jay

Yikes...

I hope you didn't have any major mechanical problems on the way north. They could likely have been laid at my feet. I think I remember who the owner was. As I recall, he traded in a Hans Christian 36, that we had sold him a year or 2 earlier, to get the 46. I remember him being a college prof and he took a bunch of students as crew. I'm not sure whether or not I'm sorry I turned down his offer. It sounded like it was a hell of an adventure.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

When I was with it up North, the owner took it to Alaska twice. The gear box burned up and cost a bundle to replace! Something was always going wrong with that boat!
    The 246's were first designed by Hale Field and Bill Lapworth. Hale wanted a motor sailer to take from CA through the Canal and up to Canada on the East Coast. It was designed to be loaded on a flat car and fit through the tunnels on the Trans Canadian Railway. Hale's father died before they got up the inland water way and he never was able to complete the trip with his family to enjoy. Even so, it was shipped across Canada and then sailed south to Newport Beach from Vancouver. The Fields enjoyed sailing the boat for many years in local waters.
    It has had a lot of miles under its keel. Even so, I still prefer a wooden boat!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-11-2017 at 03:31 PM.