Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Default Re: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Jay, with regards to the interior layout on your boat (in post #243 above): have you posted photos previously or can you post up a few for me to see please? I would be interested to see the layout as I will be fitting out my own build in the near future and until I start, Im always on the lookout for ideas etc.

Sorry Bernadette, the boat is in storage and thirteen hundred miles away at this time. When I draw up the plans, I could provide you with more info on the Common Sense Sloops.
    Jay

Getting back to "Bright Star", here is the latest photo under sail. This was also posted on another thread.
    Jay

Awesome photo. really makes me want to get out in mine.
    Love the Ipad and reaching strut.

Wonderful photo....

Great pic!

That "I pad is actually a plotter" that was donated by a friend. It arrived unexpectedly via Todd Rogers who owns "Common Sense 1" . It has all the local charts and Channel Islands. It works like a charm!
    The reachng strut is a whisker pole. We added some wooden rollers or the shrouds to ease chafe of the 135 Genny and the sheets for back winding during short tacking. It does cut down a lot on chafing the clews and sheets.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Normally we would do our own work but, my aching back won't allow that any more. So we called in an expert. The Beta 16 went in with out a hitch! It runs like a Swiss watch! No vibration! It was a pleasure to watch Robert of Marine Diesel Services of Newport Beach CA work his magic! I knew when he laid his tools out like a surgeon that he was going to be doing a good job. No muss, no fuss and no grease or dirt! Thanks Robert!
    Jay

Nice to see you are back on "Bright Star" though I am still waiting to see how your Red Witch project comes out...

Just out of curiosity, what sort of performance are you getting out of that Beta 16 from a speed and fuel consumption point of view?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Actually my son is having all the fun with "Bright Star" right now. I am in Port Townsend working on a new roof on our house and finishing up my drafting room in the shop building. "Red Witch" is here still waiting patiently for me to fix her.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I am in Port Townsend working on a new roof on our house... Jay
    I hope my fears aren't realized, but you'd probably have been better advised to install the new engine yourself and contract out the roofing. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations." If you're doing roofing jobs at our age, you're a better man than I, Gunga Din! Be careful up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    That "I pad is actually a plotter" that was donated by a friend. It arrived unexpectedly via Todd Rogers who owns "Common Sense 1" . It has all the local charts and Channel Islands. It works like a charm!
    The reachng strut is a whisker pole. We added some wooden rollers or the shrouds to ease chafe of the 135 Genny and the sheets for back winding during short tacking. It does cut down a lot on chafing the clews and sheets.
    Jay
    I have the same set up, works like a treat.
    I do need to have a play around as the navionics app I use doesn't show your heading as a compass angle (not that I have a compass on deck....), it only shows you SOG and track over ground.

The next big project for her is a four foot taller main mast. Gotta build a spar bench first. Life never gets dull up here in PT!
    Meanwhile I have a client who need a new boat design, a fast sailing Brig!
    Jay

Are you about to design a brig? Like square rigged on the foremast, fore'n aft on the main kind of brig? You've GOT to put stuff up on her from time to time. Pretty sure we'd all love to see that.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Are you about to design a brig? Like square rigged on the foremast, fore'n aft on the main kind of brig? You've GOT to put stuff up on her from time to time. Pretty sure we'd all love to see that.
    Just "pretty sure"?

More like "damn sure"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A brig is square rigged on both the main and fore mast. The main also has a gaff spanker and the fore mast has an assortment of jibs and stay sails. Actually the main mast may have staysail as well.

Yes is all I can say right now other than it will sail better than the old ships did. I am in the midst of finishing construction of my drafting room and, for me, the world of wooden boats is upside down and a bit chaotic right now!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-06-2018 at 11:34 AM.

I meant in the modern sense. The rig I described is one I would normally refer to as a hermaphrodite brig, two masts with squares on each is a brig of course. (pardon the pun, course.... ha)
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

It will be a rig such as no other square rigger has ever carried. There are lots of surprises in store on this one. Sorry, I don't want to sound like a politician here but the owner prefers that we wait until construction begins to say much more.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-08-2018 at 11:49 AM.

With the new Beta 16 diesel engine in the boat, "Bright Star" now is again a free range cruiser, just as L. Francis Herreshoff intended. "Bright Star" is an ideal boat for cruising local waters in Southern California! This new engine is one smooth running, vibration free and quiet mill! The old Universal gave many years of good service but this engine is a dream! The last thing that had to be done, after installation was to construct a framed protective cover for the instrument panel. Rather than going for the bare essentials of temp. oil psi and rpm, we went for the best one that Beta offers. It has all the normal gauges plus warning lights, buzzers and a Hobbs meter! Reading the instruments on the H28 has always required a bit of body English in order to read the dials so, we went for the idiot proof panel. Since it sits low in the cockpit where the old one was located, it was necessary to do some surgery to accommodate the larger panel. We also added a lexan spray shield over the back of it under the cockpit seat which can be a bit less than waterproof at times. Making the frame took a bit of fuss but it worked out well in the end. I always prefer to avoid using mitered corners on a boat but this time I made an exception as it looks better than a mortis and tennon joint for this application. Mitered corners have the maddening habit of opening up when the wood swells if the joint is not keyed with a spline. Here the frame is wedged on all four sides into the opening in addition to the corner splines. I hope it will hold but only time will tell. Fortunately we have a Lion adjustable miter quillotine that my friend Jerry Hampton of the Alden Schooner "Wanderlure II" gave to me many years ago. This is a tool that will shave end grain as acurrately as needed without any fuss. I had an old bronze spring latch in my junk drawer that was missing the fixed jamb fitting. Pete Langly at the Port Townsend Foundry came to the rescue by making one up on his mill for the price of a free beer. Thanks Pete for your kind rescue!
    The door of the panel is splined on the ends and the wood is Honduras Mahogany. We used G/flex 105 epoxy to glue the assembly A quick seal with water clear lacquer and a coat of Interlux 573 Chris Craft Mahogany Filler Stain matched it up to the rest of the bright work. Filler stain is made from natural earth pigments and will not sun bleach over time. The whole works received eight coats of Behr Spar Varnish before the final fit. If it ever needs to be removed, it is a matter of just knocking out the wedges and the whole works will drop free. It was my son Jamie who did the final fitting and wedging in of the frame as his body is a bit more flexible than mine is.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 02-05-2019 at 02:18 PM.

So there it is. Sorry to take up so much space! Hope you enjoyed this. It was fun for us!
    Cheers,
    Jay

Please take up more space Jay! Looks fantastic.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Thanks Garret.
    Jay

Nice solution! Looks great!

Looking good! I'll bet she sails faster with the old Universal out of her. That wasn't a lightweight engine. Most boats sail better with the weight out of their ass and the H-28 with LFH's shallow run aft should appreciate the lighter engine more than most, I'd expect.

Very nice job.Those small planes look interesting too-any chance of a few more pics?

The new engine weighs in at 95 Kg, 204Lbs and change. The old Atomic Universal twin was 61 pounds heavier at 265lbs. Yes the boat does feel better with out the extra pounds aft.
    Bird