Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Default Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Hi Bunch,
    My wife Anne, my son Jaime and I have the good fortune of owning the H28 Ketch "Bright Star". She is hull #133 of the authorized plans by LFH. This boat is featured in a photo in Sensible Cruising Designs on pp38. She was built in Barcelona Spain in 1960 by the Gallart shipyard. This is a family boat and she is family maintained. Fortunatly we have a small work shop attached to our house, in Newport Beach CA, where we can accomplish most any needed repair or new construction for our little L.Francis Herreshoff Ketch. We love this boat and we all pitch in with the work as it is needed. My son Jaime grew up as I did, working on boats. And he is a master at his specialty of doing exemplary varnish work! Here I intend to write an ongoing collection of ideas and repairs that we have worked with over the past fifteen plus years we have owned her. So, check here from time to time as new items will appear that, hopefully, will be of use to some of you.
    Jay

"Bright Star", seen here under working canvas. Note that the mizzen rakes just a bit more than the main mast. This is to keep the projected lines of the two masts from appearing to converge, some where aloft, which would look awkward! Because winds are normally light in S. Ca. We plan to build and step the sloop mast that LFH designed for this boat while still retaining the mizzen as is. This will give this little cruiser a better ability to sail up wind by giving the main a higher aspect ratio of four more feet. The boat is of shallow draft which gives little lateral keel area. The upwind capacity is assisted by her extra beam ratio which causes the hull to lift to weather if not pinched up too high on the wind. There have been times we have seen 8+kts. on a reach. She is no slouch!
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-06-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Default Re: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Stand by while I go find a towel to mop up the drool...beautiful boat. Looking forward to the tips Jay

Cheers
    Kent

Thanks Kent, Keep checking for new info here. No drooling allowed I know nothing about boats!
    Jay

You have been a fortunate man. You are deserving to have Bright Star which is one of the happiest boats with wonderful caretakers. It is always a pleasure to see her posted here. It is an inspiration.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Watching with anticipation -- concentrated Jay, O Joy!

Should we request this thread be a sticky now, or wait a bit?

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Looking forward to your comments.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thank you Ted! One of the fortunate things about this boat is that no one has messed with the boat or it's structures other than adding the teak deck and varnished bull works. The interior has had a correct up grade as well. I think L. Francis, like his father, would say I don't see any "damned foolishness" here!
    I suppose that is why we were attracted to her in the first place. We continue to improve the boat in the way that I learned from my own father and mentors.
    Jay
    H
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-02-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Another reason for making a new main mast is that this one has been abused by former owners. I would guess that it has broken more than once due to strains from flying a masthead genoa in heavy airs. Note the seam splines in the above foto showing the Herreshoff halyard snatch block. It is now leather covered to eliminate damage to the varnish.
    Jay

Does anyone else have instant pangs of envy every time Jay posts a photo of one of his boats. Or his workshop. Or house, tools, most recent project...? I know I do. Jay, you seem to live surrounded by beauty, most of it from your own hands. There are many skilled craftsmen-and-women on this forum, all of whom have more skill than I will ever achieve. But there are only a few artists and you are certainly one of them. Bravo!
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Have you never noticed that your masts are on backwards?
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

No pangs but surges of inspiration. It's fun to look at sensible design.

k

Good Gawd bunch, now I am turning red! Thanks for your support!
    Jay

I have only a few hours sailing an H 28 but have always particularly admired it. With the original cabin it has all the LFH grace and delicacy. watching.....

Terrific to see this thread up and running Jay, I’m looking forward to reading further and seeing more photos of Bright Star
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

j&a

I'm joining this WBF party late, currently scouring Sensible Cruising Design by L.F. Herreshoff. Lots of incredible design details in there. I'll be reading over the chapter on the H28 today. Rectangular mast, tell us about it...

k&a

https://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Crui.../dp/0070283648
    Last edited by signalcharlie; 08-03-2017 at 07:58 AM.

L. Francis never published plans for his halyard snatch blocks. They are shown in the rigging gang he drew up for the H28 but, they are too small to be seen. So, a set of drawings had to be made. I don't draw by computer so, here is the result. There is no need for winches on the masts as the snatch blocks give all the power needed. Much less expensive if you do your own work like I did. I would increase the thickness of the main backing plate to 1/8" phosphor bronze next time as the thinner ones have a tendency to bow under load. Phosphor is spring bronze but even so the backing plate is better off not bending. The bronze can be hand cut or on a metal cutting band saw. It would be easier to have them water blast cut though. The lignum vitae was scrap I had the delrin material would work as well. The bearings are sintered bronze and hold a film of oil in them.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-03-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Beautiful. I would love to see this set up and used under load. Please post a video.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

This thread is going to be an absolute gem. Thanks Jay.

Craftsmanship? Artisanship? By whatever name, beautiful!

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Again, I am grateful for the positive response here. I might add that when Anne and I were guests in the Herreshoff home, I had the run of LFH's shop and drafting room. It was like being let loose in Alladin's cave. I got a lot of inspiration there! Everything was just as if the Skipper had just gone out for a cup of coffee at the Barnacle.
    Much more to come!
    Jay

For those of you who have not seen the two videos of our son Jaime and his pal Dan Straub sailing "Bright Star" at 8+kts. here it is again. Note that the second video is entitled, "Sailing to Catalina". Dan and Jaime are both in the restaurant business. Dan is a first class chef and pre-packaged all of the food that was brought along with the exception of the lobsters, fish and abalone. The first video is a rare day of sailing in a Santa Ana Wind that blows off shore through the desert canyons often gusting to 35kts or more! The water is deceptivly flat due to the fact that the wind is kept off the water by the high cliffs of S.California near Dana Point. Note the finger tip balance of the helm!
    Jay
    https://vimeo.com/2816887
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-04-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Great fun, they are much faster on a reach than many expect, when I was about 16-17 Dad had just relaunched our H28. A NZ 1966 built ex charter one. I think it may have been more like 29' and was one of a number built at the time, 3'6" draft. Etc.
    That night or should I say early morning I did a run of 27 miles in 3 hours, quartering wind and following sea, she just lay on her side and skidded down the waves. (May have had some tide assist for the first hour or so) Dad came up just on day break.

Ps we also added 4' or so to the main mast and a 4'6" bowsprit for those 5-10 knot days.
    Zane

Great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer
    This boat is featured in a photo in Sensible Cruising Designs on pp38. She was built in Barcelona Spain in 1960 by the Gallart shipyard.

I know *exactly* the photo and I can't even count how many times I've gazed at it over the years. Never realized it was Bright Star.

Dave
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

As opposed to us who live in the West and enjoy deep waters to sail in. Many Eastern boats were designed around the concept of skinny water sailing. Hence the shallow draft of many eastern cruising boats on the Chesepeake and other shallow waters that would limit a deep keel design. This need results in a hull form that will lift the boat to weather while on the wind. The trick of going up wind with the H28 is not to pinch the boat as high on the wind as a deep keeled boat can handle. The J boat "Whirlwind" was a good example of this Herreshoff design secret. This was a brilliantly designed boat by LFH that failed to qualify to defend the Americas cup due to the aftergaurd's refusal to allow the head sails to breath a bit better. In my humble opinion They strapped her down and killed her ability to work her hull to weather! One of the most beautiful double enders ever designed was scrapped to supply metals for the war effort! The sun didn't shine in Mudville on that day!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-04-2017 at 10:55 AM.

I might add that I prefer the simplicity of design of the original H28. Even though some have added a bow sprit and dog house to the H28, I really prefer the original way she was conceived to be. "Bright Star" was built first with a canvas deck and simple interior. Even though she was improved by a very talented builder who added the teak decks, her interior, though beautiful, is intended for munchkins if one wants to use the head. I have to go through the fore hatch to get into that area as I can't squeeze past the mast! Maybe I need to reduce my personal displacement! I will post some interior photos soon.
    Jay

Wonderful!

More please!

LFH had four lathes in his shop which included his father's Rivett 608 precision bench lathe. This is a lathe that set the standard for accuracy for many years from the turn of the last century up to and including WWII. Cal. Tech still has a pair of them. When ever Francis needed a really odd set of threads on a taper , he would cut it on the Rivett.
    When I was in his shop I found two tapered rods that were finely treaded for about half an inch on their ends and also had nice mahogany handles with brass ferrules. Beautifuly made, these items were a mystery to me and I was at a loss as to what they were for. The answer was that Skipper always used the same founder for casting his loose patterns for the H28 and other hardware he had designed. Loose patterns are picked out of the mold flask sand with a hook ended rod. One day, when Skipper took his paterns in they had a single hole for the hook to fit in. When he picked up a new set of H28 gooseneck castings he found that an extra set of holes had been put in the patterns. This really irked him as, like his father, he was an extremely particular man and would not stand for any thing other than the best from his associates and craftsmen. Upon asking why the new holes were in his prized patterns, the founder told him that he had picked the H28 hardware patterns out so many times that the holes had become slippery and ruined the casting patterns as they hook would slip out and allow them to drop onto the sand.
    Francis LFH returned the next day with the pair of tapered and treaded rods described above with the comment, "I don't suppose any more new holes will be put into my patterns after now!"
    Jay

I added a set of running backstays to "Bright Star" to aid in supporting the mast in heavy airs. The boat is alright without them in light airs but when it is snotting up, they keep the main mast in column. It was necessary to build a special tang to hold the eyes of the upper ends. These are made of delrin and work very well. the jib halyard got a replica of a Merriman block such as is shown on the H28 plans. The original blocks are very hard to find now days hence the shop made replica. The backstays are tensioned with a watch tackle that has jamb cleats set up for on them. I added a bit of fancy work just to make them look nice.

This was the condition of the masts when we bought the boat!

Here is the after work.

Jay,

That's an amazing job of getting rid of the gray water stains. Lots of sanding? Bleach? Stain? Build a new spar?
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

I spliced on a new upper section. Here was another reason for the mast splice.

The former owner had placed an enormous amount of backstay load on the main, believing it would improve up wind performance. The only result was a perminatly bowed main mast and a fracture at the sheave pin. I was forced to built the spliced section to match the bow and then take it out with tuning the rig. The masts are raked but unbowed now. This is when I surveyed her prior to purchase. Look at that bow in the main! Note the bow I built into the spliced section. The bow was removed by rig tuning.

Straight now! incidently, I am not printing large photos. My carrier Shutterfly is doing it. If you have any objections to the large format, please let me know. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Straight now! incidently, I am not printing large photos. My carrier Shutterfly is doing it. If you have any objections to the large format, please let me know. Jay
    Jay, in my book, a large photo is one that fills the screen, and I wouldn't call even that too large. Forum members in French Polynesia, where, I hear the average Internet connection is a very slow and unreliable, may object, but I won't.